Used 2005 Saturn VUE Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn VUE Base

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

A reliable SUV
By the_good_car

2005 Saturn VUE Base Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 05 Saturn four years ago w 100k miles. It now has over 175k. The car isn't perfect. The interior is cheap, the front buckets are not well designed. It is, on uphill climbs, underpowered. It's also a bit noisy on the highway, but actually not more so than say, a Volvo xc90 (I drove one the other day, actually the Volvo is noisier). Parts are ridiculously cheap. It shares a platform with every other gm brand. many parts like the brakes are common to a half dozen models. The four cylinder is known is the iron duke and is regarded as one of the most reliable engines gm has ever made. ( though, the suspension is mediocre). Bottom line-very low cost of ownership.

Saturn 05 Vue never gave me trouble
By sandy131

2005 Saturn VUE Base AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am giving my Vue to a friend in need. I purchased it new in 2006. I changed the oil every 3K miles and it's at 240K miles now. It has always started and drove perfectly and still does. The only odd thing that happened was at 200K the brake light went on. A sensor in a rear wheel malfunctioned. It wasn't much to fix. I did have to replace the front wheel bearings twice. That may have been due to driving often in NYC and rough roads in the Catskills. Just usual replacements other than that (muffler, tires, battery, brakes).

Favorite Features

Reliable. Heated seats. Beautiful dashboard. Vinyl seats. Roomy hatchback. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

The troubles that I had after nearly 10 years did not affect the main purpose of the car: it started and drove and stopped reliably. The driver and rear driver's side interior door handles broke. The matte silver paint on the dash wore off in places and I never found matching touch up paint.

My 2005 3.5L Saturn Vue
By maojr

2005 Saturn VUE Base AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife because, (1) it has a plactic outer shell and never get's dimpled (2) supposedly it has a Honda Engine. It also had a 0.5% interest on the loan...what a deal. It's just now giving some problems. Had to replace the middle drive-shaft support and spider bearing. Otherwise no major problems/issues after 120K miles. This is the first signs of major ware so I expect a little at a time as the mileage increases with more use. We use this car every day! I would buy/trade another with the same features....too bad they are no longer available.

Favorite Features

Plastic body resistant to dimples/dents and by the way, no rusting of plastic panels. Comfortable on long drives, ie:L 400 miles or more. Then engine (I was told at the dealership) is a Honda Engine. It has been reliable thus far having regular oil changes. I'll be changing the oil myself this time and using Synthetic and Changing Plugs to NGK Plat made for this engine. I hope this will hlep increace my miles per gallon which has been as low as 17 city/hwy and 22 at best hwy. (tires are at correct PSI and still have much tread)....Actually, the milage got lower after our last servicing at Chevy Dealership...if anything, you think it would have improved...

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise on hwy speeds. It's from the tires on the road up the chassie. Maybe not enough noise protection? Not very aerodynamic - would help with gas mileage on HWY. Blind spots at driving position. Side windshield supports hamper visuals..have to move your head to asure visibility of pedestrans at crosswalks and cars, etc at intersections/shoping parking lots, etc.

Replacing with Same
By luvsaturns

2005 Saturn VUE Base AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I loved my VUE until it was totaled in a side impact accident two weeks ago. Despite the 180 degree spin and a roll over onto the driver side - I was left in good shape. No broken bones or cuts. And the safety glass and airbags did their thing. This was my 2nd Saturn - have a '95 SL2 that I also loved - and I can't replace it with anything but another VUE. We've had it camping, to the beach, and on many road trips. Have compared it to many other SUVs I've rented for business over the years and nothing has ever measured up for ease of use, simple ergonomics, and just plain fun. I'll really miss that truck - but look forward to the 'new' one.

Favorite Features

layout of controls is simple and straightforward - everything where it should be, no annoying maintenance issues at all, appreciated the safety features during the crash - all worked perfectly, steel bars in door kept oncoming vehicle from injuring me, leather interior was very well appointed and held up well during constant use

Suggested Improvements

wish they would produce this again, even with a different badge on the hood

Likes to spend your money
By bsumorgan

2005 Saturn VUE Base AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got a redline, and it was a lot of fun, but every month I had it in the shop for some kind of maintenance or repair. To be fair, it probably has to do more with the previous owner than with the Saturn. Sold it after 10 months because you can't tow with the sport package. (no air flow to the transmission) Fuel economy was good, I averaged between 20 and 21 with the AWD v6. Interior is an odd combo of luxurious and cheap. Front end was noisy on rough surfaces. The AWD is not as good as ford/mercury awd. The back wheels only kick in a few moments after the front wheels lose traction. By then, it may be too late. It doesn't really do you any good on ice unless you intentionally break traction.

Favorite Features

Suede/leather seats, Honda Engine/transmission, fast, plastic exterior doesn't rust, fold up grocery divider in trunk

Suggested Improvements

Power passenger seat, heated leather on the redline, don't paint the plastic on the center console, had to replace trans fluid at 70k miles, plastic plate around fuel tank hole flew off while driving.