Used 2005 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2005 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

A reliable SUV
By the_good_car

2005 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an 05 Saturn four years ago w 100k miles. It now has over 175k. The car isn't perfect. The interior is cheap, the front buckets are not well designed. It is, on uphill climbs, underpowered. It's also a bit noisy on the highway, but actually not more so than say, a Volvo xc90 (I drove one the other day, actually the Volvo is noisier). Parts are ridiculously cheap. It shares a platform with every other gm brand. many parts like the brakes are common to a half dozen models. The four cylinder is known is the iron duke and is regarded as one of the most reliable engines gm has ever made. ( though, the suspension is mediocre). Bottom line-very low cost of ownership.

Saturn 05 Vue never gave me trouble
By sandy131

2005 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am giving my Vue to a friend in need. I purchased it new in 2006. I changed the oil every 3K miles and it's at 240K miles now. It has always started and drove perfectly and still does. The only odd thing that happened was at 200K the brake light went on. A sensor in a rear wheel malfunctioned. It wasn't much to fix. I did have to replace the front wheel bearings twice. That may have been due to driving often in NYC and rough roads in the Catskills. Just usual replacements other than that (muffler, tires, battery, brakes).

Favorite Features

Reliable. Heated seats. Beautiful dashboard. Vinyl seats. Roomy hatchback. Great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

The troubles that I had after nearly 10 years did not affect the main purpose of the car: it started and drove and stopped reliably. The driver and rear driver's side interior door handles broke. The matte silver paint on the dash wore off in places and I never found matching touch up paint.

My 2005 3.5L Saturn Vue
By maojr

2005 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife because, (1) it has a plactic outer shell and never get's dimpled (2) supposedly it has a Honda Engine. It also had a 0.5% interest on the loan...what a deal. It's just now giving some problems. Had to replace the middle drive-shaft support and spider bearing. Otherwise no major problems/issues after 120K miles. This is the first signs of major ware so I expect a little at a time as the mileage increases with more use. We use this car every day! I would buy/trade another with the same features....too bad they are no longer available.

Favorite Features

Plastic body resistant to dimples/dents and by the way, no rusting of plastic panels. Comfortable on long drives, ie:L 400 miles or more. Then engine (I was told at the dealership) is a Honda Engine. It has been reliable thus far having regular oil changes. I'll be changing the oil myself this time and using Synthetic and Changing Plugs to NGK Plat made for this engine. I hope this will hlep increace my miles per gallon which has been as low as 17 city/hwy and 22 at best hwy. (tires are at correct PSI and still have much tread)....Actually, the milage got lower after our last servicing at Chevy Dealership...if anything, you think it would have improved...

Suggested Improvements

Cabin noise on hwy speeds. It's from the tires on the road up the chassie. Maybe not enough noise protection? Not very aerodynamic - would help with gas mileage on HWY. Blind spots at driving position. Side windshield supports hamper visuals..have to move your head to asure visibility of pedestrans at crosswalks and cars, etc at intersections/shoping parking lots, etc.

Amazed. And it's a Salvage.
By janell26

2005 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue with 60k miles from a private seller for $2k due to a Salvage Title. I was a little hesitant going into it but since it was so cheap I figured why not. I've had the car 2 years and it is now nearing 90k miles and I have absolutely NO problems with it whatsoever. I've never had anything go out/stop working on me. The car has never stalled or done anything suspect. It needs brakes/rotors right now, that's about it. I'm pretty impressed considering the salvage title, not to mention I was in a major accident with it about a year ago also....runs as if nothing happened even though it's had the crap kicked out of it.

Favorite Features

It's clean looking...maybe because it's black. Otherwise, I wouldn't say I'm "impressed" with any features. It's okay, doesn't have much fancy to it.

Suggested Improvements

Again, nothing great about it physically but nothing bad either. I've seen many other SUV's that are more attractive than the Vue however I'm certainly not embarrassed to drive it either.

Sensor reduction
By brittanyttr

2005 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my VUE in July of 05. I was driving one day in the city and notice I had no acceleration to go. I notice that a light came on so I pulled over to check the owners manual and it said the sensor reduction light was one. So I did what it said to do and when I turned my car back on, it ran okay. I took it to the Saturn dealer and they told me it could be either the gas pedal or my wiring harness. So we replaced my gas pedal..drove it home and not even w/in 24 hrs it did it again. I called the dealeship again and they said its the wiring harness and that was going to be $700...has anyone had problems w/ their sensor reduction? Looking for help..Not sure I trust this dealer..