Used 2004 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

No More Saturn
By Sour Saturn Owner

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Saturn and the last. The car has been nothing but funky off the wall problems since it was six months old. Fortunately I followed my gut instinct and bought extended warranty that will be up in two months just in time to unload the Vue for my new 09 Honda. Saturn started out with a good product that has went horribly wrong and for the record I will not buy American made vehicle ever again.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Maybe the 08 will be of better quality

Great Drivetrain, So So Everything Else!
By D Buck

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We came for the Honda V6 and no haggle pricing. We got a decent CUV for $19,700 out the door and headed straight to the shop for a GPS and leather seats. A/C died 3 times until they finally replaced the leaky compressor. Brake rotors rusted on the inboard side. Ignition switch is shot. Keys falls out. Suspension squeaks when it shouldn't. I work on cars for a hobby/profession so we'll keep her around but be prepared for those unexpected trim and other weak systems like the suspension design to chase your nickels and dimes. I'd still buy the car all over again! All cars have their issues!

Favorite Features

MPG - Good for an SUV 27 on freeway performance - 16.0 flat at 90 at the drags! Plastic panels. No rust, no dents. Perfect size for driving around and weekend trips. Would buy again!

Suggested Improvements

Improve the quality of the overall package. US cars can be great! This one was real close! I will not give up on them!

Exceptional value
By soccerdad

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this used car while looking for a used minivan and just could not bring ourselves to admit we were in that stage of our life. So, Saturn Vue to the rescue. We really like this car and with the addition of the best tires we coud get, this car has met all of our needs. It drives great and compares nicely to minivans. The 3.5L V6 is very impressive and does good at the pump for an SUV. 20 to 24 in mixed driving. got 28 once on a long interstate only trip. Hit a deer once and was very happy my famly was in this car. Damage was one headlight to replace. What a relief! Safety and value. Seems to perform better than SUVs and minivans in its price range, without giving up much.

Favorite Features

Feels cool on the inside, smooth ride, plenty of space in every direction, good mileage for the power and size. No maintance costs as of 77k. The black trim at the bottom realy looks good.

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of, other than one squeek in the back that goes away in the summer but comes back in the winter. Gets annoying.

The Vue is good, the noise is too loud
By spcljac

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue brand new in 2004. The reliablity is good. The rear motor on the back window is going, the mileage is great 22 in the city and 27- 28 on the highway. The comfort level is good. The problem is the road noise is terrible. Even with all the windows up you can hear all the road noise, it is deafening.

Favorite Features

The look and style of it

Suggested Improvements

Do something to quite the road noise

I must be lucky
By Slick

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was surprised to read so many negative reviews about the Vue both from owners and the press. Bought new (w/ heavy incentives) for <$20k & owned for 4 years. No service issues at all, other than rear suspension recall. I avg. 20 mpg city & 26-28 mpg hwy. Pros: crisp exterior styling, 17" wheels, roomy/comfortable interior, agile handling, excellent power, dent- resistant polymer panels, great fuel economy, buttery-smooth Honda engine/transmission Cons: cheap-looking interior, wind/road noise, sometimes bouncy ride, a few squeaks & rattles, lots of nooks & crannies make washing a pain All in all, it's been a great car nimble yet roomy, fun-to-drive, and economical.

Favorite Features

Power & economy of the Honda V6 engine, looks sharp w/spoiler & 17" wheels, comfortable on long trips, great seating position, nice tidy size vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Better window mouldings/trim to help with wind noise, electric power steering has no "feel" & slow reaction in panic situations. Tires were a low- point, had to replace after reaching the wear-bars at 23k miles! 4-wheel disk brakes would be nice