2004 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
No More Saturn
By Sour Saturn Owner on 07/11/08 16:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Saturn and the last. The car has been nothing but funky off the wall problems since it was six months old. Fortunately I followed my gut instinct and bought extended warranty that will be up in two months just in time to unload the Vue for my new 09 Honda. Saturn started out with a good product that has went horribly wrong and for the record I will not buy American made vehicle ever again.

Great Drivetrain, So So Everything Else!
By D Buck on 07/01/08 10:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We came for the Honda V6 and no haggle pricing. We got a decent CUV for $19,700 out the door and headed straight to the shop for a GPS and leather seats. A/C died 3 times until they finally replaced the leaky compressor. Brake rotors rusted on the inboard side. Ignition switch is shot. Keys falls out. Suspension squeaks when it shouldn't. I work on cars for a hobby/profession so we'll keep her around but be prepared for those unexpected trim and other weak systems like the suspension design to chase your nickels and dimes. I'd still buy the car all over again! All cars have their issues!

Exceptional value
By soccerdad on 06/29/08 21:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this used car while looking for a used minivan and just could not bring ourselves to admit we were in that stage of our life. So, Saturn Vue to the rescue. We really like this car and with the addition of the best tires we coud get, this car has met all of our needs. It drives great and compares nicely to minivans. The 3.5L V6 is very impressive and does good at the pump for an SUV. 20 to 24 in mixed driving. got 28 once on a long interstate only trip. Hit a deer once and was very happy my famly was in this car. Damage was one headlight to replace. What a relief! Safety and value. Seems to perform better than SUVs and minivans in its price range, without giving up much.

The Vue is good, the noise is too loud
By spcljac on 06/23/08 17:45 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue brand new in 2004. The reliablity is good. The rear motor on the back window is going, the mileage is great 22 in the city and 27- 28 on the highway. The comfort level is good. The problem is the road noise is terrible. Even with all the windows up you can hear all the road noise, it is deafening.

I must be lucky
By Slick on 04/23/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was surprised to read so many negative reviews about the Vue both from owners and the press. Bought new (w/ heavy incentives) for <$20k & owned for 4 years. No service issues at all, other than rear suspension recall. I avg. 20 mpg city & 26-28 mpg hwy. Pros: crisp exterior styling, 17" wheels, roomy/comfortable interior, agile handling, excellent power, dent- resistant polymer panels, great fuel economy, buttery-smooth Honda engine/transmission Cons: cheap-looking interior, wind/road noise, sometimes bouncy ride, a few squeaks & rattles, lots of nooks & crannies make washing a pain All in all, it's been a great car nimble yet roomy, fun-to-drive, and economical.

Happy to be rid of it
By finally free on 04/21/08 17:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At 32K the transmission went. Are you kidding me? I was initally worried about the strenght of the 4cyl as I do a lot of on and off highway driving. I was assured that I wouldnt notice the difference from the V6. I was wrong. More often than not the car would stop as I was pulling out on the hw....not very safe. Very disappointing for the amount you pay and the fact that this car depreciates at an unreasonable rate.

Love Mine
By Vue This on 04/12/08 22:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a 3 time Saturn owner. I bought our 04 Vue new now we have 67k and just turning 4 yrs with it. Had the recall, I follow the service intervals and only have the dealer do the work. Zero dealer problems & pull a 2500# 19' boat multiple times up and over our mountains in Utah and Wyo.When I pass people pulling the boat they look at the car like what the hell. Replaced the tires at 50k brakes are starting to wear and shocks are getting bouncy MPG is great and I will eat most all comers with the preformance of the 250 HP I am 6'6" and the seats could use some better support and the fabric is wearing I wish the Vue was just a little bigger my 16 & 10 year old need more room in the back.

Good ride except for brakes
By anita king on 03/19/08 07:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I was so excited to get my 2004 Saturn Vue in December of 2007. Here it is March and now all of a sudden at the beginning of March I start having problems with the brakes. I couldn't buy an extended warrenty because I don't have the extra cash. I talk with a service manager and he told me to bring it in it would cost 85 dollars since my warranty was over by 3 days and 338 miles. But you are in such a hype to get a car you need that all you want to do is just get the car. I was at the gas station and heard this lady talking about her car with the same problems.

Last GM junk that I buy
By Greg R. Hess on 03/14/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this nice looking suv with high hopes. Only to be disappointed once again by GM. This will be the last time I get burned by them. I have replaced a front left hub-wheel bearing that cost $455 and ever since 48,000 miles there has been a rumbling noise from under the hood and under neath the center of the suv. The dealership mechanic say's that there are nothing mechanical to explain these noises! So I guess I have to be satisfied with paying $30,000 and having a problematic car. Unbelieveable! The big three wonder why the public is switching over to imports. They have lousy warranties, until of late but I bet there's a lot of red tape one goes through to have anything done!

Honda Engine great, Rest of car JUNK!!
By rugby209 on 03/11/08 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I've had 3 Saturns, this one being the most recent and this will be the last time I buy Saturns again. I originally looked at the reviews and everyone said it was a great SUV with a Honda engine and transmission. The reviews were right about the transmission and engine but everything else is flawed. It's been in the shop 11 times since we've owned it. Steering column broke, left front ABS sensor broke, when it's cold out it makes horrible grinding noise when you hit bumps (which the dealer said was normal), hazard light fell into dash etc, etc. I should have bought a REAL Honda.