Used 2004 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Hood Latch Cable
By Complaint

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had good service from my Saturn Vue but the Hood Latch Cable is stretched. Which I see has happened to other Vues form 2004 to 2009. There are complaint on the internet. The should be a Recall.

Suggested Improvements

There should be a recall for the Hood Cable Latch on 2004 to 2009 Models.

2004 VUE REDLINE: LONG TERM
By RobO

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car off the showroom floor in 2004. I commuted with it for 5 years in San Francisco, CA. traffic. I drove it across country in 2009, going up to Seattle, all the way up in the mountains of Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and so on across the USA. It currently has 119,000 miles on it, and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is the pull cable for the hood release, and the light cluster panel above the driver needed a new switch. This is a reliable, fun to drive car with plenty of room, great performance, versatility and excellent fuel economy. On the cross country trip, fully loaded, with a pod carrier on top of the car, I got an overall 24 miles a gallon.

Favorite Features

- Performance - Utility - Economy - Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded seating, material quality of dashboard.

piece of junk
By burned by saturn

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems with this car. Once it was out of the basic new car warranty I had to spend about 30% of the purchase price on repairs. Every time I turned around something else needed to be repaired. I have the extended warranty but as soon as it is out of this warranty I'm dumping it. This is my 3rd Saturn. I've had major problems with all of them. I suppose I just kept hoping a decent car would be built in America. I'd never, ever buy another one. Saturn makes a piece of junk on 4 wheels just waiting to fall apart.

Favorite Features

None. I hope this car is discontinued. It's a total rip-off.

Transmission Troubles
By G. Blake

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue used in Oct. 2007 and in July 2009 the Transmission in the car went without any warning signs. I have kept up the maintenance on this vehicle since the purchase date and I am now having trouble with the extended warranty company and the Lease holder in repairing the vehicle.

Favorite Features

Before the transmission went, I was satisfied with the overall performance of the vehicle and had not had any problems with it.

Suggested Improvements

My next vehicle purchase I will do a little more homework on the vehicle iteself and the extended warranty companies.

Not a bad car
By nancy

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2004. Hazard button fell into dash. Not crazy about winter driving performace. Manual transmission is ok. Just replaced front brakes, not bad for 60k. Dash light cluster went, the dealer wants 600. to fix. No way. Hood cable streached out 90. to repair. Had the rear wiper motor replaced under warranty. Weird flapping noise when I come to a stop, dealer said they all do it. This is my second Saturn, probably my last. I will keep it until it dies, then move on. Not totally againt the car, but would like something heavier for winter driving.

Favorite Features

Like knowing I can get just about anything into this car. Baby seat easy to get in and out. Like the radio and temp on the rearview mirror. Drivers seat is comfortable, never sat in back.

Suggested Improvements

To much interior plastic, looks kind of cheesy.