2004 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
It's OK I guess
By Melinda on 04/24/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car new because of the Honda engine and decent gas mileage for an suv. My biggest complaint in the vue is the brakes. I have 100k miles and have replaced the rear (i believe) brakes 5 times! Pads and rotors! Yet NEVER the front ones (the pads once). The wind noise from the windows drives me crazy. The sun visor is way too small for the size of the windshield. I agree with other owners the engine noise is loud. I have major rust on the hatch/trunk door and the rear driver side door never closes unless you slam it. My kids always complain they cant hear the radio and after sitting back there, they're right, why are the speakers on the floor? No more saturns for me!

Transmission Nightmare
By Disappointed on 04/23/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission shot at 55,000, just out of warranty. Cost to repair: $5,000 to $6,000. $3,100 left on the loan. Class Action suit over the transmission issues just settled. Too little, too late. Saturn has to "reimburse" for transmission replacement up to 125,000 (original owners), but many complaints from people who have had to replaced the transmission yet again. The settlement is bittersweet, since owners have to front the $5,000-$6,000 and wait for the replacement. The transmission flaw was never addressed so you get the same loser the second/third time. Decided to get away from it and traded for a Honda CR-V yesterday. Do your own research on the transmission.

Bring back the Poly
By Very Happy on 04/20/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Vue is a practical utility vehicle that provides much comfort and fuel efficiency. I traded a civic for it as I needed more room for the weekend projects. My kids love it and it has a great ride. The 2.2 liter-4-cylinder motor provides enough power and cruise stays locked on regardless of the hills. I average 25mpg with mixed driving and don't notice the road noise mentioned by a previous review. It is likely the noise from the previous review is due to the tires.

Great value and performance!
By jthanan on 04/02/09 02:25 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the VUE for its utility and it hasn't let me down. With the back seats and front passenger seat folded down I can haul the equipment for my entire band! Have had the truck for almost a year and put about 20K miles on it and haven't had a single problem. Has made multiple trips Wisconsin-South Florida with no problems. Averages about 20mpg in the city and around 25-26mpg highway. The VUE is also great for towing, I pull a 1500 pound fishing boat with it and the VUE takes it all in stride.

No more American Cars for me
By Juan Ontiveros on 03/12/09 20:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because my wife thought it will be a good car for us. I bought it with 40000 miles and it has been problem after problem O2 sensors changed both front and back, muffler under warranty was changed now I have to change the thermostat this car only has now 75000 thousand miles and I dont want it anymore and we promised ourselves we will never buy an American car anymore only Toyota or Honda.

Stalling Problems
By Jodi on 01/07/09 07:00 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When we first bought our VUE I thought it was a really nice vehicle for a great price. However, I would never buy another one. Shortly after we bought it, it started having acceleration problem. There were times I was pulling from a residential street onto the highway and it sputtered and stopped--as another person said--very dangerous!!! I took it to the Saturn shop 5 times for this same problem and they said each time they could not find anything wrong! When I said "there has to be" the mgr was rude and said "we can't have someone drive your car around all day to find out"! Also, hazard light fell into dash. VUE is good in many ways, but not the important ones!

Review of my first real car
By 20yrold on 01/05/09 22:46 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Saturn in 2008 and was a little worried from all the stories that I have heard. But to my relief none of them were true. I have had my car for almost a year and I have no no complaints. The only work that I have had to do was replace the front left wheel bearing, but i bought the car like that so I know what I was getting into. I love the way it rides and the way it feels like a small car when its not. My only complaint is that the dash is a little hard to dismantle when trying to put in a cd player, I lost 2 screws that I recovered and the hazard light button, and have no clue where it went, and no clue where to get another one.

2004 Saturn Vue 4cyl
By Phil on 10/25/08 20:48 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Very poor design, cheap cheap cheap! Bad acceleration, paint chips off dash/radio covering, Break problems, premature tire wear, steering column issues, and CD player issues.

Good for the Money!
By FatherOfThree on 10/24/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Nice size for kids. Good performance & reliabilty with the Honda V6. Handling is so so and interior dash is not much to look at (very plasticly) Overall, a good value.

2004 Saturn Vue
By Disappointed on 08/01/08 15:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first Saturn. Bought it 1 year ago when it had about 83,000 KM. It now has 90,000 KM. It has always had a noisy engine. Recently the check engine light came on and I brought it to the shop. A wheel bearing was shot - had to be replaced. Cost $300. Then it started making a strange noise and jerking when I drove. Back to the shop. The transmission is shot. They researched the vehicle's history and found out it has already had the transmission replaced at 80,000 KM, and this will be its second transmission replacement. It was going to cost $6,000 for a new transmission, luckily the dealership agreed to pay for it, even though we had no extended warranty on the Vue.