2004 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
Outstanding
By Lowell on 05/03/10 19:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Vue used w/12,000 miles on ot. It was an executives car. It's made three trips to the southeast from Iowa and never a single problem. We did replace the mud tires with street tires in 06. Being retired we average about 8,000 per year So far we haven't spent a dime on repairs outside normal maintenance. I used Mobil 1 oil and filter exclusively and put a K&N air filter on it. Oil changes once per year. Never burns a drop of oil. My only complaint is that it is noisy inside but we've learned to live with it.

Love it
By nice car on 04/27/10 23:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

It has been a perfect vehicle for hauling around kids. It has been on many long trips. Only problems have been a bad heater core and a cd got stuck in the player. Both repaired under warranty. They require gas with clean additives. (stay away from the cheap stations) If you get ahold of bad gas or don't get the cap on right it will trip the engine light.

piece of JUNK!
By saturnowner on 03/13/10 08:22 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

This car has less than 43,000 miles. It seems every time I turn around something has to be fixed. A/C went out twice, "small leak" in emission control 4 times, power windows stopped working, valve job, sway bars and struts had to be replaced, master cylinder and slave cylinder on clutch had to be replaced. I've spent more on repairs than the car is worth. Pass the word - Saturn is very unreliable. If you have deep pockets and enjoy spending a lot of time with the service department (and being without a car for days at a time for repairs)this might be the car for you. I'll never buy another American car! Not surprised they're going out of business.

Excellent car for the money
By Lynne on 03/05/10 06:33 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We drive our Vue regularly in the West Virginia mountains and enjoy the power the Honda engine provides. Gas mileage is great on the road (26 mpg) and good around town (20 mpg). I've had the most trouble with sunroof leaking but keeping the drain lines cleaned out seems to have solved that problem. Replaced right wheel bearing around 35K and the radio and tires just this year. I've really liked this car, the size is perfect. We got the side air bags. I hope to keep it for many more years. It still looks and runs like new.

I love Saturn!
By Daniel on 03/02/10 04:28 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic SUV! Best costomer service. This is the second Saturn I have owned (2000 SL1) and I love them. Except for normal wear and tear (tires, brake pads, battery) I have had no issues in the 4 years I have owned it. I bought it with 85000 miles on it and it now has 140000 miles! And still the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Even more than my Toyota Celica. Foreign Shmoreign! Saturn has done a supurb job on quality and always friendly staff! But because I love being able to park it in tight spots without a care in the world with the dent resistant door panels it REALLY disappointed me that they discontinued that on the new models. They need to bring them back!

Hood Latch Cable
By Complaint on 01/27/10 17:44 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had good service from my Saturn Vue but the Hood Latch Cable is stretched. Which I see has happened to other Vues form 2004 to 2009. There are complaint on the internet. The should be a Recall.

2004 VUE REDLINE: LONG TERM
By RobO on 12/20/09 06:33 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car off the showroom floor in 2004. I commuted with it for 5 years in San Francisco, CA. traffic. I drove it across country in 2009, going up to Seattle, all the way up in the mountains of Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and so on across the USA. It currently has 119,000 miles on it, and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is the pull cable for the hood release, and the light cluster panel above the driver needed a new switch. This is a reliable, fun to drive car with plenty of room, great performance, versatility and excellent fuel economy. On the cross country trip, fully loaded, with a pod carrier on top of the car, I got an overall 24 miles a gallon.

piece of junk
By burned by saturn on 09/04/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems with this car. Once it was out of the basic new car warranty I had to spend about 30% of the purchase price on repairs. Every time I turned around something else needed to be repaired. I have the extended warranty but as soon as it is out of this warranty I'm dumping it. This is my 3rd Saturn. I've had major problems with all of them. I suppose I just kept hoping a decent car would be built in America. I'd never, ever buy another one. Saturn makes a piece of junk on 4 wheels just waiting to fall apart.

Transmission Troubles
By G. Blake on 07/28/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue used in Oct. 2007 and in July 2009 the Transmission in the car went without any warning signs. I have kept up the maintenance on this vehicle since the purchase date and I am now having trouble with the extended warranty company and the Lease holder in repairing the vehicle.

Not a bad car
By nancy on 06/04/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2004. Hazard button fell into dash. Not crazy about winter driving performace. Manual transmission is ok. Just replaced front brakes, not bad for 60k. Dash light cluster went, the dealer wants 600. to fix. No way. Hood cable streached out 90. to repair. Had the rear wiper motor replaced under warranty. Weird flapping noise when I come to a stop, dealer said they all do it. This is my second Saturn, probably my last. I will keep it until it dies, then move on. Not totally againt the car, but would like something heavier for winter driving.