Used 2004 Saturn VUE Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

I've enjoyed my Vue
By Linda

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have been fortunate to own this car. It has never given us any major problems and has always been very reliable. It drives well in rain and snow. Our grown boys always ask to borrow it if the weather is bad (snow or ice) or if they need the space for their friends! Our only issues have been minor.(hazard button broke and radio buttons are wacky). Other then that, the car has been great! My husband has kept it in great shape and my grandson loves being in it!

Favorite Features

sitting up high, plenty of room.

Outstanding
By Lowell

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this Vue used w/12,000 miles on ot. It was an executives car. It's made three trips to the southeast from Iowa and never a single problem. We did replace the mud tires with street tires in 06. Being retired we average about 8,000 per year So far we haven't spent a dime on repairs outside normal maintenance. I used Mobil 1 oil and filter exclusively and put a K&N air filter on it. Oil changes once per year. Never burns a drop of oil. My only complaint is that it is noisy inside but we've learned to live with it.

Favorite Features

Reliability. It's never failed to start.

Suggested Improvements

None considering the line has been discontinued.

2004 VUE REDLINE: LONG TERM
By RobO

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car off the showroom floor in 2004. I commuted with it for 5 years in San Francisco, CA. traffic. I drove it across country in 2009, going up to Seattle, all the way up in the mountains of Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and so on across the USA. It currently has 119,000 miles on it, and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is the pull cable for the hood release, and the light cluster panel above the driver needed a new switch. This is a reliable, fun to drive car with plenty of room, great performance, versatility and excellent fuel economy. On the cross country trip, fully loaded, with a pod carrier on top of the car, I got an overall 24 miles a gallon.

Favorite Features

- Performance - Utility - Economy - Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded seating, material quality of dashboard.

It's OK I guess
By Melinda

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased this car new because of the Honda engine and decent gas mileage for an suv. My biggest complaint in the vue is the brakes. I have 100k miles and have replaced the rear (i believe) brakes 5 times! Pads and rotors! Yet NEVER the front ones (the pads once). The wind noise from the windows drives me crazy. The sun visor is way too small for the size of the windshield. I agree with other owners the engine noise is loud. I have major rust on the hatch/trunk door and the rear driver side door never closes unless you slam it. My kids always complain they cant hear the radio and after sitting back there, they're right, why are the speakers on the floor? No more saturns for me!

Favorite Features

Very roomy. Im 6ft tall and have no problem sitting in the back seat. I had no problem with a rear facing car seat in the back seat and me in the front. other cars required me to move my seat forward. Decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Sealing the windows better to prevent air noise. Longer visor to block sun. Better quality doors. BETTER BRAKES!

Love Mine
By Vue This

2004 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a 3 time Saturn owner. I bought our 04 Vue new now we have 67k and just turning 4 yrs with it. Had the recall, I follow the service intervals and only have the dealer do the work. Zero dealer problems & pull a 2500# 19' boat multiple times up and over our mountains in Utah and Wyo.When I pass people pulling the boat they look at the car like what the hell. Replaced the tires at 50k brakes are starting to wear and shocks are getting bouncy MPG is great and I will eat most all comers with the preformance of the 250 HP I am 6'6" and the seats could use some better support and the fabric is wearing I wish the Vue was just a little bigger my 16 & 10 year old need more room in the back.

Favorite Features

Power, Chili Red color, reliability, 6 disk CD, sunroof, power.

Suggested Improvements

Slighty bigger. Also had the flasher switch go into the dash