2004 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
No Regrets!
By aircap_aviator on 07/14/12 13:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used over a year ago. Wanted something that got decent gas milage, could haul my big teenage kids and had a manual trans. Vue was about the only thing I could find that fit all three. Gets mid 20's for gas mileage in city / mixed driving. Had 118K when I bought it and at 143K now. Only repairs were new struts in the front right after purchase and two new tires. Overall very happy with the value and what it does for me. Gripes? has new various rattles seemingly every time I get in, interior quality only average, and interior design is very lacking for storage.

Superior Vehicle
By laf5 on 09/21/11 07:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 VUE brand new. 7.5 years later with over 150,000 miles on it, I lost it to a large deer in the engine. This vehicle has been incredibly reliable. I've never had to do more than regular maintenance. At 120k I had brakes done (probably could have waited, but I knew it HAD to be coming soon!) and was never completely satisfied with the replacement brakes (squeak). Other than that, oil changes, new wiper blades, tires, air filters, and 100k tune-up. This was my 2nd Saturn and am sad that GM discontinued such a superior line of vehicles - especially now that my VUE has been totaled! I will miss her and worry that I will never find another vehicle as reliable. Bring Saturn back!

1st Saturn and loving it!
By vue5531 on 01/01/11 00:35 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue in 2008 and it's 2011 and I have not had a single problem with it. The carfax was clean. Its roomy, zippy, and pretty quiet. Ive read mostly negative reviews about this car and I don't see what their talking about. I must have gotten lucky. The only thing I had to do was replace the brakes.

I love Saturn!
By Daniel on 03/02/10 04:28 AM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic SUV! Best costomer service. This is the second Saturn I have owned (2000 SL1) and I love them. Except for normal wear and tear (tires, brake pads, battery) I have had no issues in the 4 years I have owned it. I bought it with 85000 miles on it and it now has 140000 miles! And still the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Even more than my Toyota Celica. Foreign Shmoreign! Saturn has done a supurb job on quality and always friendly staff! But because I love being able to park it in tight spots without a care in the world with the dent resistant door panels it REALLY disappointed me that they discontinued that on the new models. They need to bring them back!

Hood Latch Cable
By Complaint on 01/27/10 17:44 PM (PST)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have had good service from my Saturn Vue but the Hood Latch Cable is stretched. Which I see has happened to other Vues form 2004 to 2009. There are complaint on the internet. The should be a Recall.

piece of junk
By burned by saturn on 09/04/09 13:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had nothing but problems with this car. Once it was out of the basic new car warranty I had to spend about 30% of the purchase price on repairs. Every time I turned around something else needed to be repaired. I have the extended warranty but as soon as it is out of this warranty I'm dumping it. This is my 3rd Saturn. I've had major problems with all of them. I suppose I just kept hoping a decent car would be built in America. I'd never, ever buy another one. Saturn makes a piece of junk on 4 wheels just waiting to fall apart.

Transmission Troubles
By G. Blake on 07/28/09 12:33 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2004 Saturn Vue used in Oct. 2007 and in July 2009 the Transmission in the car went without any warning signs. I have kept up the maintenance on this vehicle since the purchase date and I am now having trouble with the extended warranty company and the Lease holder in repairing the vehicle.

Not a bad car
By nancy on 06/04/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2004. Hazard button fell into dash. Not crazy about winter driving performace. Manual transmission is ok. Just replaced front brakes, not bad for 60k. Dash light cluster went, the dealer wants 600. to fix. No way. Hood cable streached out 90. to repair. Had the rear wiper motor replaced under warranty. Weird flapping noise when I come to a stop, dealer said they all do it. This is my second Saturn, probably my last. I will keep it until it dies, then move on. Not totally againt the car, but would like something heavier for winter driving.

Transmission Nightmare
By Disappointed on 04/23/09 19:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Transmission shot at 55,000, just out of warranty. Cost to repair: $5,000 to $6,000. $3,100 left on the loan. Class Action suit over the transmission issues just settled. Too little, too late. Saturn has to "reimburse" for transmission replacement up to 125,000 (original owners), but many complaints from people who have had to replaced the transmission yet again. The settlement is bittersweet, since owners have to front the $5,000-$6,000 and wait for the replacement. The transmission flaw was never addressed so you get the same loser the second/third time. Decided to get away from it and traded for a Honda CR-V yesterday. Do your own research on the transmission.

Bring back the Poly
By Very Happy on 04/20/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The Vue is a practical utility vehicle that provides much comfort and fuel efficiency. I traded a civic for it as I needed more room for the weekend projects. My kids love it and it has a great ride. The 2.2 liter-4-cylinder motor provides enough power and cruise stays locked on regardless of the hills. I average 25mpg with mixed driving and don't notice the road noise mentioned by a previous review. It is likely the noise from the previous review is due to the tires.