Used 2004 Saturn VUE Base Consumer Reviews - 90 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

2004 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Sick of it.
By pete ruc

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this vue for 7 years and put a 110000 miles on it, it has 165 k now. It runs ok, but I spend a lot of money to keep it on the road. Transmission, 5 speed manual replaced once with a used one 1000, slave cylinder , clutch and shifting linkage replaced once $1000, ac $550, different suspension parts 1000 + and it's still not right, interior falls apart, electrical issues with instrument cluster. Paint just falls off this car on the plastic body panals. Breaks are crap, calipers freeze up ruining rotors. Road noise, leaks from moonroof, and forget about keeping the seats or carpet clean water will stain them. Comfort ? Put a pillow behind your back on long drives or you will be hurting. I wanna get rid of it but it runs still ok, timing chain makes noise on start up but it has been like that for 4 years or so. Parts are cheap to buy but they are cheap quality and don't last. The best thing about this vue is the cargo room and mpg, 21 to 27. I always bought us made cars ford's dodge and lots of gm. Saturn, Pontiacs and chevys and this one cost me the most to own. The resale value sucs, and after putting all that $ in tu it it's not worth to sell it just yet. It was cheap to buy but no pleasure drivin it at all.

No Regrets!
By aircap_aviator

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used over a year ago.
Wanted something that got decent gas milage, could haul my big teenage kids and had a manual trans.
Vue was about the only thing I could find that fit all three.

Gets mid 20's for gas mileage in city / mixed driving.
Had 118K when I bought it and at 143K now.
Only repairs were new struts in the front right after purchase and two new tires.
Overall very happy with the value and what it does for me.

Gripes?
has new various rattles seemingly every time I get in,
interior quality only average, and interior design is very lacking for storage.

Space inside for seating / hauling larger items, ease of ingress / egress. Enjoy the sun-roof! Although thankfully hasn't needed repair work, seems very accessable and well laid out to work on. Relatively fun to drive for size.

rattles here, there and everywhere / interior noise overall. Interior fit & finish and storage (admittidly, the 2006 and later models addressed this, I was just too cheap to spring for one).

Superior Vehicle
By laf5

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my '04 VUE brand new. 7.5 years later with over 150,000 miles on it, I lost it to a large deer in the engine. This vehicle has been incredibly reliable. I've never had to do more than regular maintenance.
At 120k I had brakes done (probably could have waited, but I knew it HAD to be coming soon!) and was never completely satisfied with the replacement brakes (squeak).
Other than that, oil changes, new wiper blades, tires, air filters, and 100k tune-up.
This was my 2nd Saturn and am sad that GM discontinued such a superior line of vehicles - especially now that my VUE has been totaled! I will miss her and worry that I will never find another vehicle as reliable. Bring Saturn back!

Reliability, affordability, roominess, relatively inexpensive maintenance, attractive damage-resistant exterior.

GM, bring the Saturn line back into production!!

1st Saturn and loving it!
By vue5531

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue in 2008 and it's 2011 and I have not had a single problem with it. The carfax was clean. Its roomy, zippy, and pretty quiet. Ive read mostly negative reviews about this car and I don't see what their talking about. I must have gotten lucky. The only thing I had to do was replace the brakes.

Interior room, gas mileage.

A few more horses would have been nice but there are no complaints.

I love Saturn!
By Daniel

2004 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fantastic SUV! Best costomer service. This is the second Saturn I have owned (2000 SL1) and I love them. Except for normal wear and tear (tires, brake pads, battery) I have had no issues in the 4 years I have owned it. I bought it with 85000 miles on it and it now has 140000 miles! And still the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Even more than my Toyota Celica. Foreign Shmoreign! Saturn has done a supurb job on quality and always friendly staff! But because I love being able to park it in tight spots without a care in the world with the dent resistant door panels it REALLY disappointed me that they discontinued that on the new models. They need to bring them back!

I love the body style! I love driving it! Great gas mileage! Reliable! Sporty! Dent resistent door panels are awsome! Lots of room for my 6 foot frame and my bicycle and equipment. Nice interior. Durable!

Even with different tires I put on, I would agree it does have a moderate amount of wind noise. Bring back the dent resistant door panels!! It is a huge factor in whether I will buy a newer non-dent resistant Saturn! Honestly, I may just upgrade to the last year they had the panels.