Used 2003 Saturn VUE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn VUE SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Reliable but noisy
By Dgoock

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and now have 211,000 miles on it. The thermostat and computer went out under warranty at about 25,000. The water pump went out at about 95,000, so I changed the timing belt at that time and it saved a bunch. Rear right bearing and hub went out at about 180,000. The big issue has been the tires. The rear tires get eaten up for some reason and get very noisy. I have to rotate the tires every 5000 to minimize this issue. The SUV is noisy in general, but most SUVs are. The vehicle is not smooth in acceleration or response to the throttle, it is jerky. But at the same time I have not had to do much to it for 211,000 miles of use! Front bearing and hub needed now.

Sun roof and reliability.

Tire issue and make it quieter, but it is too late for that since there is Saturn no longer.

4th Transmission now needed
By Diane

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Vue in 2003--after owning 2 different Saturn Sedans. 6 mos after purchase had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced. Then came the transmission problems. I am about to have the 4th transmission put in in only 96k miles. I am very angry GM will pay only 50% of the $4800 cost. I am disabled and on Social Security Disability and my funds are limited. I feel the trans should be replaced in full since this is the 4th time around for me. If anyone has any one has had any luck.

The dealership. From first day they were helpful and supportive and did everything they could to make the troubles right.

take them to the junkyard if you can

Saturn VUE equals junk
By Mtfloo

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We have had our VUE for 7 years. We had to replace the wheel bearings, $450 each, between 50,000 and 65,000 miles. It now has 107,000 miles and guess what.. we are once again replacing them. What other vehicle has to do this. Also, motor in rear window wiper gone after 60,000 miles, cord to raise the hood has had to be replaced twice. The clutch in the 4 speed was replaced at 40,000 miles, I could go on and on. Those cars are junk! GM was very smart to dump them. Although some work out ok, most don't.

The cost and frequency of repairs takes any fun out of driving this thing.

GM should recall the wheel bearings. We shouldn't have to pay for their poor design. They've made a bundle off the consumer.

My first Saturn. Still in love with It
By RedStorm

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to say our 2003 Saturn VUE is a fun SUV to drive. Only issues have been, NONE! New set of tires and regular maintenance. It is now a secondary car for my husband to drive in the winter. I have been driving it lately due to issues with our 07 Outlook. Cannot believe that we have had it 7 years and it still looks as good as the day we drove it off the car lot. Was ticked off the day I heard GM was stopping production.

Fun to drive love the sun roof and the heated seats, toasty in the winter.

Bring back Saturn please.

Yipes!
By john

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Vue with 20,000 miles and the VTi transmission. I also purchased from my credit union an extended warranty ($1,440) for 5 years. Has it ever paid off. As of 06/08/10, approximately $11,000 has been paid out for repairs - transmission 2 times, timing chain problems, wheel bearings ($1,000) and various electronic problems. I still love the car, but in October, 2010 the warranty ends. I am not sure if I can buy another warranty or not. If not, goodbye to the Vue. I am not sure what to buy next, but for sure it will have an extended warranty purchased with it. I feel sorry for those who had to pay for their repairs.

Style, size, easy in and out.