Used 2003 Saturn VUE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn VUE SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Don't buy 2003-2005 VUE
By joaniep

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.

Don't use VTI engine

Glad To Drive a Standard!
By ifmullins891

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn (which we purchased used) has been great...until recently. We put a lot of miles on the poor thing and use it for all that it's worth and it still starts up! If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B with no particular thrills or any real "excitement," then I would absolutely recommend only this model. However, I highly recommend you DON'T tow anything heavy with this car...it just can't handle it! However, I have no real complaints (didn't replace the clutch until recently and have only started to see some problems with the car). She has almost 168,000 miles and she's still going (fairly) strong. Go VUE!

Surprisingly good sounding speakers! Long lasting clutch (165,000 miles...with towing)!

Interior quality is appalling. I mean c'mon Saturn, REALLY?!

Too bad for me!
By tq1221

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in 2003, and was very happy with it for the first six or seven years. I am now holding my breath because I have the infamous CVT tranny. I have less than 65,000 miles on it, but won't drive it out of town for fear that the tranny will fail. I am amazed at the number of people who have bought this car in the last year or two. Any amount of research would have revealed the issue and the 2007 class-action suit filed against Saturn. The judgement was against them, and they were told to cover 100% of repair/replacement costs. Since GM filed bankruptcy, they have weaseled out of that and will only cover half. Half of over $7500 is waaay too much!

Great in snow, and before the problems, loved the smooth acceleration of the VTI. I believe any version with a conventional tranny would be a good buy.

Ditch the tranny!

piece of junk
By angryenuff

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

i bought my saturn at a buy here pay here place.it looked like a great car and it seemed like a great car till 6 months after i bought it and the tranny went out in the 100,000 mile marker.now im being told it s my problem.so i was so irate that they had to of known and i dont have the money to repair it .i told them to shove that car were the sun doesnt shine.oh well there goes my credit.dont buy this car unless you have a lot of extra money to waist on repairs.

i like the easy steering and the room inside. its also great in the snow

recall all of these cars so no one else gets ripped off.

Piece of junk! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By osuraerae

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We had the Vue for one week and the moon roof broke...then the transmission went out. We were told only a Saturn dealer could fix it and we took it to the dealer and they said it would cost $7600 to fix it! We traded the piece of junk in...it wasn't worth it! Do not buy this car! You will regret it!

None this car was crap!

Change the transmission and EVERYTHING about this car, it sucks!

• SUV