2003 Saturn VUE Base SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2003 VUE Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Sort Reviews by

Too bad for me!
By tq1221

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in 2003, and was very happy with it for the first six or seven years. I am now holding my breath because I have the infamous CVT tranny. I have less than 65,000 miles on it, but won't drive it out of town for fear that the tranny will fail. I am amazed at the number of people who have bought this car in the last year or two. Any amount of research would have revealed the issue and the 2007 class-action suit filed against Saturn. The judgement was against them, and they were told to cover 100% of repair/replacement costs. Since GM filed bankruptcy, they have weaseled out of that and will only cover half. Half of over $7500 is waaay too much!

Favorite Features

Great in snow, and before the problems, loved the smooth acceleration of the VTI. I believe any version with a conventional tranny would be a good buy.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the tranny!

piece of junk
By angryenuff

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

i bought my saturn at a buy here pay here place.it looked like a great car and it seemed like a great car till 6 months after i bought it and the tranny went out in the 100,000 mile marker.now im being told it s my problem.so i was so irate that they had to of known and i dont have the money to repair it .i told them to shove that car were the sun doesnt shine.oh well there goes my credit.dont buy this car unless you have a lot of extra money to waist on repairs.

Favorite Features

i like the easy steering and the room inside. its also great in the snow

Suggested Improvements

recall all of these cars so no one else gets ripped off.

Piece of junk! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By osuraerae

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We had the Vue for one week and the moon roof broke...then the transmission went out. We were told only a Saturn dealer could fix it and we took it to the dealer and they said it would cost $7600 to fix it! We traded the piece of junk in...it wasn't worth it! Do not buy this car! You will regret it!

Favorite Features

None this car was crap!

Suggested Improvements

Change the transmission and EVERYTHING about this car, it sucks!

Good for the Money. Would buy again
By Josh

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder with a 5 speed manual transmission. I read on this site that the CVT were garbage but the manuals were worth the money. I love my car. I drive back and forth about 120 miles per day working about 1.5 hours away from my home. I bought the car with 70,000 miles on it. I just passed 105,000 miles and it is still running strong! The car is fun to drive. The only improvements I would have is that create stain free carpets and a quieter ride. The car is a little noisy on the highway. Saturn Customer service could be a little better because when calling for a particular part, I was given the run around. All in all, a great buy for the quality and price.

Favorite Features

Cargo room, 5-speed manual, spacious back seat, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Stain-free carpet, Saturn customer service, quieter ride.

Not too shabby, buy the 5 speed
By ed

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It is a great basic car to get you to point a to b and hopefully back to point a. NO frills no thrills it's great on gas I can get about 320 miles mostly city driving some hwy. It is not too comfy and doesn't handle the best. If you can forgo some points, it is a great daily driver. Just make sure you get the 5 speed the cvt stinks and will break. The engine is noisy and has no power just know you will not merge too fast, just use your head and pre-plan entry exit off hwy. It has held up nicely so far. had to replace ball joints, sway bar links and motor mounts with wear and tear any car will need this stuff. The 5 speed shifts nice it is made by Getrag, same as BMW supplier

Favorite Features

Cheap to buy and own great deals out there now, too bad for the original owners however great for used car buyers...

Suggested Improvements

more power 2.2L more NVH, too much wind noise. too much plastic but who cares Saturn is out of business no one is listening anyway...

Had I known
By MM in atl

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I had done better research. It fit the bill of decent mileage for a small SUV, BUT it's been trouble every few months since I purchased it with 80,000 miles. I'm dumping it as soon as I get a chance! The transmission would be covered by my extended warranty, but it's never that - it's the wires, the modules and connections that lead the transmission that I keep having to pay for. I'm so thankful for the extended warranty, because that has helped out with other issues like leaky valves, wheel bearing which was replaced and other misfires. Do NOT buy one of these lemons, they're SO cheaply made! The whole exterior is plastic and the mechanics are of equal quality.

Favorite Features

I loved the big back seat - comfortable for the kids. I also loved the exterior temp and the compass reading in the rear view mirror - but that's just a geek thing.

Big Mistake
By fallbeauty

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

There isn't enough characters allowed to explain the last four years with this car. It was in the shop more than it was in our driveway. We spent thousands of dollars in repairs only to be treated like dogs by the Saturn customer service. Have never experienced anything like it. Do not buy this car. Run fast. It is a money pit and has many flaws, major flaws. The latest was the computer system. Everything was acting all crazy. It would have loss of power. Sometimes it would start and other times it wouldn't. The brakes vibrated, the hood cable wore out the hood was stuck closed. The throttle body had to be replaced several times. Nightmare.

Favorite Features

Watching it drive out of the driveway for the last time.

Suggested Improvements

Stop making them. OH! They did!

LEMON!
By Aimee Steven Perry

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We purchased our Vue in March of 2008, the first weekend driving it the axle broke going up the steepest hill in our city. We were rolling backwards and could not stop, cost of repair 800. The next thing to go was in October of 2008, the BCM blew, the car would not start. Saturn told us it was not under warranty and not sure why it broke the repair would be $2000 Then the exhaust manifold cracked not only once but twice, cost of that $1000, when we replaced that we found that the bearings all needed to be replaced Dec 09.Most recent, our car stopped dead in traffic, we had to push if off the road, the car is not getting gas so it stalls unless you keep your foot on the gas.

Favorite Features

The look, front seats are comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Trash the whole thing!

Reliable but noisy
By Dgoock

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new and now have 211,000 miles on it. The thermostat and computer went out under warranty at about 25,000. The water pump went out at about 95,000, so I changed the timing belt at that time and it saved a bunch. Rear right bearing and hub went out at about 180,000. The big issue has been the tires. The rear tires get eaten up for some reason and get very noisy. I have to rotate the tires every 5000 to minimize this issue. The SUV is noisy in general, but most SUVs are. The vehicle is not smooth in acceleration or response to the throttle, it is jerky. But at the same time I have not had to do much to it for 211,000 miles of use! Front bearing and hub needed now.

Favorite Features

Sun roof and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Tire issue and make it quieter, but it is too late for that since there is Saturn no longer.

4th Transmission now needed
By Diane

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Vue in 2003--after owning 2 different Saturn Sedans. 6 mos after purchase had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced. Then came the transmission problems. I am about to have the 4th transmission put in in only 96k miles. I am very angry GM will pay only 50% of the $4800 cost. I am disabled and on Social Security Disability and my funds are limited. I feel the trans should be replaced in full since this is the 4th time around for me. If anyone has any one has had any luck.

Favorite Features

The dealership. From first day they were helpful and supportive and did everything they could to make the troubles right.

Suggested Improvements

take them to the junkyard if you can