Used 2003 Saturn VUE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn VUE SUV

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Sad
By cayenne72

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

My Vue went our last March. I didnt drive it much I had it for 3 years. I bought it at 54,000 miles on it. Sadly enough had I driven it more it would have been covered when the tranny went out.it was a month after the deadline. I'm surprised people are still selling the 2002-2005 at 8,000. They are only worth about 4,000. It was a decent car. It's not worth 8,000,considering the transmission in it costs 5,000 to replace. Oddly enough I would consider buying a 2007-2009, but GM is so hard to deal with.

Favorite Features

room in the car, It was big but drove like a small car

Suggested Improvements

transmission

Reliable and Safe
By wgpenguin

2003 Saturn VUE SUV AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Vue used in 2004 with 16,000 miles. I have had a couple of big things go wrong (transmission control module, water pump), but that's to be expected in a 9 year old, lower end car. I bought an after market extended warranty for $1,500 that is still in effect even now, and it's been worth it. I now have over 120,000 miles on it and I still feel like it's very reliable. My sister in law also had one - rolled it 9.5 times on the interstate and walked away with just bumps and bruises. Very safe!

Favorite Features

It's the perfect size! I can park it in any space without a problem, yet can fit just about anything I want in the cargo area with the seats folded down - even a full size bicycle. Small on the outside, yet roomy on the inside.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the fold down seats folded flat - they sit at a slight incline when folded down. Also would like to see rear AC vent - takes a few minutes for the back seat to feel AC. Noisy ride - lots of road noise seeps in.

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By gr82balive

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the 2003 model in 2009 without doing my homework. 13 months later (after the one year warranty expired) the tranny went out.Cost me 5200 to fix 3wks later the front differential is starting to go out, quoted price:5600 to fix. After new tranny was put in my mpg dropped from approx 13 to approx 6mpg. If I wasn't locked into payments I would have scrap heaped this piece of junk when the tranny went out. Most regretted purchase of my adult life. Saturn/GM dealerships have been useless. Once one problem is expensively fixed another one rears its pricey head.DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY!

Favorite Features

Have not found one.

Suggested Improvements

Remove all 2002-2003 models with CVT's from the face of the earth. They are a financial drain. The vehicle lacks any excitement worth putting the money in for. Junk, Junk, Junk.

Don't buy 2003-2005 VUE
By joaniep

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use VTI engine

Glad To Drive a Standard!
By ifmullins891

2003 Saturn VUE SUV Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn (which we purchased used) has been great...until recently. We put a lot of miles on the poor thing and use it for all that it's worth and it still starts up! If you're looking for a car to get you from point A to point B with no particular thrills or any real "excitement," then I would absolutely recommend only this model. However, I highly recommend you DON'T tow anything heavy with this car...it just can't handle it! However, I have no real complaints (didn't replace the clutch until recently and have only started to see some problems with the car). She has almost 168,000 miles and she's still going (fairly) strong. Go VUE!

Favorite Features

Surprisingly good sounding speakers! Long lasting clutch (165,000 miles...with towing)!

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality is appalling. I mean c'mon Saturn, REALLY?!