Used 2003 Saturn VUE Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2003 Saturn VUE

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Don't ignore these reviews - TRANSMISSION HELL
By lilpinkzombie

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I love my car, that is no secret. Everyone who knows me... knows I love my 2003 Saturn Vue. I purchased it for way over it's value because I needed a reliable vehicle and I was not looking too hot in the credit realm. Within two weeks, the transmission went out. I called the dealership, they had to fix within the 45 day guarantee. They gave it back and it just hasn't been the same since. I have also dealt with the module going out and other various transmission issues. As much as I love my car, there is no way anyone can own a Saturn and not spend more on repairs than the actual value of the vehicle. Period.

Favorite Features

I love that the back / front seats fold nearly flat. Its easy to fit a mattress back there and camp right out the back of the Saturn. I like the roominess, and the fact that I can go / do nearly anything in it.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission needs some serious work! I can't believe all the problems everyone has! It's insane.

BAD TRANSMISSION
By warair

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Just like others has said. Do your Home work before buying one of these cars. At 130.000 miles the Transmission Went Out. Cost Around $$$5,000 said too said can not addord to put this much money into it.... They are really safe Cars... Went Air-Born On InterState 10 last Summer due too Another Car pushing my Wife off the Hwy.... State Troopers said, they have never seen a Car go 65ft Air-Born on two wheels and not Flipp Over. Only damage was busted air lost from driver side rear tire.... God Was With Us Mainly....

Favorite Features

Safe

Suggested Improvements

Needs Up grade on Transmission

Worst car ever!!!
By got2bekylee

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We got the Saturn in November of 2012 with 78000 miles on it. The transmission went out in January of 2013 with 81000 miles on it. This car is by far the worst car i have ever owned. It was nothing but stress for me. I ignored all the reviews and still go the car. Worst mistake ever. I will never buy another car from GM again..

Suggested Improvements

Take these pieces of junk off the road!!!

Worst Car I Have Ever Owned
By gr82balive

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased the 2003 model in 2009 without doing my homework. 13 months later (after the one year warranty expired) the tranny went out.Cost me 5200 to fix 3wks later the front differential is starting to go out, quoted price:5600 to fix. After new tranny was put in my mpg dropped from approx 13 to approx 6mpg. If I wasn't locked into payments I would have scrap heaped this piece of junk when the tranny went out. Most regretted purchase of my adult life. Saturn/GM dealerships have been useless. Once one problem is expensively fixed another one rears its pricey head.DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY DO NOT BUY!

Favorite Features

Have not found one.

Suggested Improvements

Remove all 2002-2003 models with CVT's from the face of the earth. They are a financial drain. The vehicle lacks any excitement worth putting the money in for. Junk, Junk, Junk.

Don't buy 2003-2005 VUE
By joaniep

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Don't buy 2002-05 Saturn Vue or Ion! VTI transmission failure expected by GM but no recall issued. I have a 2003 Vue with 67k miles that is now worth scrap metal because I cannot afford the $5500 rebuilt transmission. My car is only worth $6500. I never received written notification or was notified by the Saturn Dealership during routine maintenance. I cannot afford a new car payment; which is why I took care of my Vue - so I wouldn't have to. GM lost class action to replace these transmissions but filed for bankruptcy and received government (taxpayer) bailout before owners notified. Class action re-filed with "new" GM to compel to provide owners with relief.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use VTI engine