2003 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
Cvt transmission
By eladiac on 03/10/14 17:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Transmission went out, can not be fixed, entire new transmission, run away from any saturn vue cvt transmission. Car looks great interior and exterioir, but what good does it do if $5000 to replace transmission. I'll be junking it.major disappointment.

Sad
By cayenne72 on 11/24/12 16:20 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

My Vue went our last March. I didnt drive it much I had it for 3 years. I bought it at 54,000 miles on it. Sadly enough had I driven it more it would have been covered when the tranny went out.it was a month after the deadline. I'm surprised people are still selling the 2002-2005 at 8,000. They are only worth about 4,000. It was a decent car. It's not worth 8,000,considering the transmission in it costs 5,000 to replace. Oddly enough I would consider buying a 2007-2009, but GM is so hard to deal with.

Too bad for me!
By tq1221 on 05/22/11 16:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I bought this car new in 2003, and was very happy with it for the first six or seven years. I am now holding my breath because I have the infamous CVT tranny. I have less than 65,000 miles on it, but won't drive it out of town for fear that the tranny will fail. I am amazed at the number of people who have bought this car in the last year or two. Any amount of research would have revealed the issue and the 2007 class-action suit filed against Saturn. The judgement was against them, and they were told to cover 100% of repair/replacement costs. Since GM filed bankruptcy, they have weaseled out of that and will only cover half. Half of over $7500 is waaay too much!

piece of junk
By angryenuff on 02/05/11 12:00 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

i bought my saturn at a buy here pay here place.it looked like a great car and it seemed like a great car till 6 months after i bought it and the tranny went out in the 100,000 mile marker.now im being told it s my problem.so i was so irate that they had to of known and i dont have the money to repair it .i told them to shove that car were the sun doesnt shine.oh well there goes my credit.dont buy this car unless you have a lot of extra money to waist on repairs.

Piece of junk! DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!
By osuraerae on 12/09/10 18:47 PM (PST)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

We had the Vue for one week and the moon roof broke...then the transmission went out. We were told only a Saturn dealer could fix it and we took it to the dealer and they said it would cost $7600 to fix it! We traded the piece of junk in...it wasn't worth it! Do not buy this car! You will regret it!

4th Transmission now needed
By Diane on 08/09/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I purchased my Vue in 2003--after owning 2 different Saturn Sedans. 6 mos after purchase had to have both rear wheel bearings replaced. Then came the transmission problems. I am about to have the 4th transmission put in in only 96k miles. I am very angry GM will pay only 50% of the $4800 cost. I am disabled and on Social Security Disability and my funds are limited. I feel the trans should be replaced in full since this is the 4th time around for me. If anyone has any one has had any luck.

Great SUV; some problems
By Saturn lover on 04/18/10 15:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the VUE new in September of 2003 and have loved it. I've always had good gas mileage and it has always been dependable. After owning it 6 years I finally had to replace the battery (replaced the tires at 5 years). The only major problem I've had was an electrical short that cost me $1000 to fix. I first took to a Saturn dealer in December and they tried but obviously did not have anymore experienced mechanics. I finally took to my local GM dealer (Chevrolet) and it took a couple of trips but their mechanic knew what he was doing! It still runs great and this is the 3rd Saturn I've owned and I would buy another if Saturns weren't being phased out!

Transmission number TWO!
By darkjade1978 on 03/22/10 16:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I would like to say please rethink buying a Saturn Vue, the VTi transmission in this car is prone to premature failure. Something I wished I had known prior to making my purchase in 2003. The transmission on my 2003 Vue had to be replaced at only 43,434 mile, which was replaced in April 2008. I had not only bought the 4year/48,000 mile Service maintenance package I also purchased an extra warranty for the Mechanical Failure Service Contract for 6 year/72,000 miles. Wish this did save me, because the first one was covered under the warranty. However! Now almost 2 years and only 72,818 miles later, the transmission is failing again after Saturn repaired/replaced it. Per Saturn, they only

ANOTHER VUE CUSTOMER WITH TRAN PROBLEM
By rosetiger on 10/02/09 06:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I just purchased this car about 3-4 months ago I have put 8000 miles on it which brings it to 78000 miles total on the car. I loved this car. I was driving it last week and the transmission just went out completely on me. I was looking on the internet and was so surprised that so many other people have had this same problem. I now have to get the transmission fixed and trade it in right away. This is unbelieveable and I would never get another saturn or recommend it to anyone. please do not purchase or you will have the same problem

BAD TRANSMISSION
By katie on 08/18/09 17:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

The VTi transmission in this car is prone to premature failure and there is a class action lawsuit agains saturn for it. My transmission just died at 100,000 miles, and costs 6200 for the part alone- and this is no exaggeration because I've gotten 3 different quotes. Used is 2500 with 60k on it. I have 6500 left on my loan and am a 23 year old grad student now without a car and thousands of dollars in payments left. Dont waste your money. If you have this car, Get a warranty on your transmission!