Used 2003 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Great...while it lasted
By JP

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Up until I hit 220k, this car was a breeze. Bought it at 171k, it ran perfectly and shifted smooth. Ended up replacing all the suspension over the course of a year, rode and felt like a new car. The Vue was always lacking in power, don't expect to be racing around. 1st gear has tons of torque, a ridiculous amount really. Super easy to spin the tires, and you can get up to maybe 15 mph if you're pushing it before having to shift. Highway driving is annoying, car hovers around 3500 rpm cruising at 70 mph. Insurance is very expensive as well. If you can look past that though, it really is a great car. Only major repair was the alternator around 190k (which subsequently fried the battery), mechanic said it looked like the original. The trans is still going strong to this day, same with the engine. Starts every time, even during the winter when we had easy -20f one year. But. Ever since hitting 220k, the radiator fan went, o2 sensor has been on the fritz for quite some time, and most recently, the shift cables snapped. Parts for this car are ridiculous, I work at an automotive store and the fiancee works at a repair shop, and still repairs have been expensive. For a little saturn, this should not be so. Scrapping this car and buying an economy is the plan. For the dedicated, I could see this vehicle hitting 300k+ easy, it's just not worth it to me.

Don't buy one.. If you have one Good Luck!
By Iffy

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I just bought an 03 Saturn Vue last year and 3 days sitting in the driveway and the transmission went out. It only had 80 thousand miles on it and I had just registered it for $500 and I had just towed it from San Francisco run another $500. 4000 dollars later and thing died in three days. So much for reliability and all that other good stuff. If you're looking to buy a Saturn don't be an idiot, and if you already have one good luck.

Cvt transmission
By eladiac

2003 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Transmission went out, can not be fixed, entire new transmission, run away from any saturn vue cvt transmission. Car looks great interior and exterioir, but what good does it do if $5000 to replace transmission. I'll be junking it.major disappointment.

Don't ignore these reviews - TRANSMISSION HELL
By lilpinkzombie

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

I love my car, that is no secret. Everyone who knows me... knows I love my 2003 Saturn Vue. I purchased it for way over it's value because I needed a reliable vehicle and I was not looking too hot in the credit realm. Within two weeks, the transmission went out. I called the dealership, they had to fix within the 45 day guarantee. They gave it back and it just hasn't been the same since. I have also dealt with the module going out and other various transmission issues. As much as I love my car, there is no way anyone can own a Saturn and not spend more on repairs than the actual value of the vehicle. Period.

I love that the back / front seats fold nearly flat. Its easy to fit a mattress back there and camp right out the back of the Saturn. I like the roominess, and the fact that I can go / do nearly anything in it.

The transmission needs some serious work! I can't believe all the problems everyone has! It's insane.

BAD TRANSMISSION
By warair

2003 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

Just like others has said. Do your Home work before buying one of these cars. At 130.000 miles the Transmission Went Out. Cost Around $$$5,000 said too said can not addord to put this much money into it.... They are really safe Cars... Went Air-Born On InterState 10 last Summer due too Another Car pushing my Wife off the Hwy.... State Troopers said, they have never seen a Car go 65ft Air-Born on two wheels and not Flipp Over. Only damage was busted air lost from driver side rear tire.... God Was With Us Mainly....

Safe