2002 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
How do you spell "lemon?"
By Babs on 10/05/05 08:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am truly disappointed with this vehicle. Though you might expect one or two small things to need adjustment, in 35 years of driving, the VUE has been the worst overall of vehicles I have driven. As a low mileage driver, I've had 3 flat tires (tread seems to attract foreign objects) numerous "service engine soons," antifreeze leaks twice, a broken gas gauge, shorted electrical cell in the dash, blown fuel cell leaving me stranded on a busy street in rush hour traffic, and a crack in the exhaust system that made me sound like a tank. Service department less capable in some ways than I would expect, and patronizing at times, I guess because I'm a woman. My next car will be a Honda.

Cheap and Unreliable
By Clo on 08/27/05 11:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fuel gauge problems, replaced brake rotors twice, electrical failure, deffective coolant cap burst on the road, now we have transmission problems. Wish we could replace the car now but we owe almost as much as the trade in value. The day this car comes off warranty is the day we trade it in. We try to buy American, but this car has shaken our confidence in American cars.

Saturn Vue-2002
By Streetman on 07/28/05 11:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought me Vue w/4,000 miles on it. It had been a program car used by an employee of Saturn in TN. I am very satisfied with the performance and ride of this vehicle. It never has failed me. I don't drive that much annually, but I have taken this vehicle out of state each year and it is always comfortable and reliable in 12-14 hour drives. I think Saturn has done an excellent job w/this car and would be interested in buying another one on down the road.

Saturn Vue stinks Don't Buy One!
By Crystal Cooper on 07/09/05 16:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

This is what I have had to repair in the first 3 years of my ownership! Most of the major things it happened oddly enough AFTER the warranty ran out! 1. new vehicle 1/31/02 2. panel trim replaced(shifter) 7/26/02 3. 1/08/03 Wipers stopped working. 4. 8/30/03 Transaxle oil cooler repaired 5. 1/29/04 Thermostat gasket replaced 6. 2/16/04 Shift housing indicator replaced 7. 7/10/04 Window channel replaced(inoperable power windows) 8. 8/26/04 Brakes worn out (32,000 miles) 9. 10/02/04 front seat cover replaced(excessive wear) 10. 2/12/05 replace rear lateral link(recall, rear wheel could fall off) 11. Front wheel bearing hub 5/05 12. 7/9/05 Brake inspection(needs repair and resurface roto

Very Pleased!
By mjmiron on 02/13/05 20:02 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Saturn in 2004 after the vehicle depreciated in value. I paid around $15,000 and the car had 36k on it. I have had no major problems with it and like the vehicle a lot. I would recommend anyone buying this car wait a year or two and not buy new. I think the price of the car new is a little high. I had purchased a new 2004 Jeep Limited with leather before the Vue and it was the same price.

Rear suspension problems like crazy!
By Nancy on 12/25/04 20:19 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

That's it! Going back to a minivan! I rely on my AWD because of where I live and my VUE reliably fails when winter hits. Had it in for service last February (2004) and they replaced the parts that work the rear wheel AWD. Guess what? We have two feet of snow and I have a front-wheel drive car again! That's right, it's out again. Not only that, but can't get the VUE in for a whole week for service. We were told last time it wasn't too "safe" to drive if the rear suspension was working right. Also, there's been some sort of recall that we were never notified by mail (or otherwise) about that they are fixing next week in the shop. Very disappointed in my VUE. Will be selling soon.

Thank God for the warranty!!!
By Zeyda on 11/13/04 21:35 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

By the time I take my Vue in for the oil change every 3000 miles,I find something wrong with it. The last time the sensor had to be replace. Before that, I had to get something replaced that had to do with the emission or oxygen which made my Vue shut off in the middle of driving. The tranmission has been giving me trouble. And now, there's a screeching sound when I turn it on every morning. I took it to the dealer and of course, when they turn it on the noise disappears. Also, some part has been recalled or something and the dealer never has the part that has to replace it in. It's very frustrating. I should have bought a Toyota! Thank God for the warranty!!

S
By awd on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had to take it to the dealership 4 times because of steering column noises..Vehicle is not heavy enough for the engine it has..Not fun to drive in the city..Doesn't shiled outside noises very well.

Update- 42K miles
By Mattpowl on 08/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Throughout my Vue's life, I have had lots of issues. The front end suspension was replaced twice, fuel gauge broke, and some interior plastic delaminated. The wind-shield wiper nozzles were replaced 3 times! On the more major issues, the engine had a weird problem with condensation in the PCV valve hose that caused it to run very poorly in the winter. Also, an issue with the oil cooler cover gasket that resulted in coolant leaks. Although I like the vehicle's performance and have had decent customer service from dealer and Saturn Corp (they gave me a 5-yr. 60K extended warranty), I am very disappointed.

Not bad, but not for the long run
By Joe on 08/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I broke one of my cardinal rules and bought a new vehicle in its first model year. I've paid for that. We've had the standard '02 Vue problems (AC condensation ruining the carpet on the passenger side, rear wiper fluid everywhere but on the glass) and a few new ones (inaccurate fuel gauge-Shell gas?) but overall it has been fairly reliable. It's just too small for more than 4 people, whether they are infants or adults. Haven't tested the legedary Saturn safety features (and hope I don't have too) but can't help feeling I paid too much for what I got.