Used 2002 Saturn VUE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Don't buy one
By kevin

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new, love the dealer hate the quality of the Vue. Here are just a few of the problems I've had over the years. Struts went bad at 500 miles, car had to be towed at 1000 miles would not start burrs in the fuel rail bad abs the breaks stink, both O2 sensors are bad, crank case sensor went bad, gas guage works when it feels like it same with turn signals. Engine control module went out when driving 70 mph lost all control of everything including power breaks and steering. My wife was locked in the car not once but twice (how is that possible)? Car lost all power while driving in Atlanta on way to Florida, went to dealer was charged $85 for bad connection happened again.

Not killing me on the highway, happy when car doesn't break down. I don't have the heart to sell it to someone knowing what a pile of garbage it is.

New electrical system use Delphi not Yazaki

Saturn Vue Lemon
By Never again

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my used 2002 Saturn Vue AWD in 2007 from a Saturn dealer in Downers Grove. It had 53,000 miles on it. From the start it had problems--a loud whining noise which was the vacuum. Then the ABS light went on, along with a fluid leak under the engine The service engine soon light went on with loss of power. I took it to a Saturn dealer in Savoy. They put in a new water pump/wheel speed sensors/hub assembly. That took care of some problems. I took it in seven times to get the service engine soon light and hesitation/loss of power problem solved. It never was solved and my engine ended up ruined with metal shavings in it. I need a new engine-big bucks. I will never buy a Saturn again.

Better engines

Disappointed
By Chris

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a Grand Cherokee with over 200K (with no issues, we bought what we thought would be a great vehicle, but... We love the design and comfort. From the day we got it though, there have been a string of mechanical problems. From the service engine light on and off all of the time, to the transmission slipping. It cost nearly $1000 to replace the alternator b/c the part had to come from Saturn and the engine had to be moved just to get to it. Now it needs a wheel hub and a water pump. The suspension is very noisy as well. I wish GM had put the right drivetrain in it they would have had a winner!

The overall design, and interior comfort is great. Ride height and door entry just right.

GM should have put the 3400 or 3800 V6 in it and not gone the European GM part bin for the drivetrain. Make it serviceable.

Love/Hate relationship
By MP

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the Vue for 3 yrs and enjoyed until it started having problems at 40k miles. Handles OK in snow. Was able to get up steep hill in 2 in snow with minimal slippage. Gets 19/26 mpg. Love the layout of trunk. Unfortunately needs work now. Hubs bad and thermostat went out last year. Work cheaper to get done by someone other than dealership. Loved it and hoped to own for several years until it started breaking down at so few miles. Wish it didn't have problems.

Dimmer mirror, two plug ins for phones, lots of space, safe, trunk configuration, sits up high.

Better built.

2002 Saturn Vue 4 cyl 5 speed reliable
By Jim

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the ripe old age of 65 and having been involved with auto repairs and sales most all of those years I must say that the 2002' Saturn Vue 4 cylinder 5-speed manual is a great bargain. I have owned too many vehicles to count. At 120k miles it uses no oil and in the last 20k that we have owned it, 1-exhaust hanger is the only repair. It has had full synthetic oil since it was born. 5-speed shifter is a bit notchy but adequate.

Gas mileage 22 city and 28 highway. Reliable. All seats fold down including the front passengers so I can load 8ft 2x4's and close the hatch! 4-cylinder engine with a real timing chain-not a belt.

Keep this engine but refine it and keep the 5-speed manual and also refine it and make it smoother shifting.