2002 Saturn VUE Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn Vue - Consumer Reviews

2002 VUE Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:

Sort Reviews by

Never again
By Lu

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been a nightmare from the beginning. Seems like ever 3 months something strange and new goes wrong with this car. If I could afford it I would dump it today and buy anything else. Today my husband is coming back from a trip and just called me to say the check engine light came on, and it won't accelerate going up hills. It's okay on flat ground. What a mess, we have to go find another dealer.

30,000 miles of torture
By Not Happy

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Where do I start. On my way to the airport the clutch went. Before and since it was fixed it is almost impossible at times to put into 1st gear, other times big problems shifting down to 2nd gear. Was informed that this was the way the car was designed, go figure. Air conditioning broke. Cap flew off windshield wiper fluid dispenser. Driver side door handle broke. Lid on console will never stay closed. There was a recall for something. Now it is in the shop once again to have the gear shift fixed also found out that not only does it need new brake pads but the rotors are rusted out and need replacing at a cost of $550. I dont want the car any more and am shopping around for a new one

Favorite Features

At this point I can't say I have any. I guess it does have good cargo room. However, I bought a new car for reliability what a joke. Was told all problems were minor and really not that much for a 3 year old car.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make it anymore

How do you spell "lemon?"
By Babs

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am truly disappointed with this vehicle. Though you might expect one or two small things to need adjustment, in 35 years of driving, the VUE has been the worst overall of vehicles I have driven. As a low mileage driver, I've had 3 flat tires (tread seems to attract foreign objects) numerous "service engine soons," antifreeze leaks twice, a broken gas gauge, shorted electrical cell in the dash, blown fuel cell leaving me stranded on a busy street in rush hour traffic, and a crack in the exhaust system that made me sound like a tank. Service department less capable in some ways than I would expect, and patronizing at times, I guess because I'm a woman. My next car will be a Honda.

Favorite Features

Easy entry and car-like drive.

Suggested Improvements

Larger gas tank. Mileage as advertised. Better quality overall.

Cheap and Unreliable
By Clo

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fuel gauge problems, replaced brake rotors twice, electrical failure, deffective coolant cap burst on the road, now we have transmission problems. Wish we could replace the car now but we owe almost as much as the trade in value. The day this car comes off warranty is the day we trade it in. We try to buy American, but this car has shaken our confidence in American cars.

Favorite Features

Good looks. Dealership service staff are courteous and helpful.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and reliability. Plain and simple.

Saturn Vue-2002
By Streetman

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought me Vue w/4,000 miles on it. It had been a program car used by an employee of Saturn in TN. I am very satisfied with the performance and ride of this vehicle. It never has failed me. I don't drive that much annually, but I have taken this vehicle out of state each year and it is always comfortable and reliable in 12-14 hour drives. I think Saturn has done an excellent job w/this car and would be interested in buying another one on down the road.

Favorite Features

Cruise control keeps it on the mark regardless of the terrain. Drives like a car. Easy to get in & out of. Holds lots of gear. Corners well. Resists dents. Tracks well. Comfortable on long rides. Great stereo system. Parts easily replaced.

Suggested Improvements

Over door grips.

Saturn Vue stinks Don't Buy One!
By Crystal Cooper

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl CVT)

This is what I have had to repair in the first 3 years of my ownership! Most of the major things it happened oddly enough AFTER the warranty ran out! 1. new vehicle 1/31/02 2. panel trim replaced(shifter) 7/26/02 3. 1/08/03 Wipers stopped working. 4. 8/30/03 Transaxle oil cooler repaired 5. 1/29/04 Thermostat gasket replaced 6. 2/16/04 Shift housing indicator replaced 7. 7/10/04 Window channel replaced(inoperable power windows) 8. 8/26/04 Brakes worn out (32,000 miles) 9. 10/02/04 front seat cover replaced(excessive wear) 10. 2/12/05 replace rear lateral link(recall, rear wheel could fall off) 11. Front wheel bearing hub 5/05 12. 7/9/05 Brake inspection(needs repair and resurface roto

Favorite Features

no favorite features

Suggested Improvements

The reliability is bad. I have owned 3 Saturns and the first 2 were great (Saturn was on it's own then). Claim gas mileage is 25 on Highway. I never got over 21 in 3 years.

Very Pleased!
By mjmiron

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Saturn in 2004 after the vehicle depreciated in value. I paid around $15,000 and the car had 36k on it. I have had no major problems with it and like the vehicle a lot. I would recommend anyone buying this car wait a year or two and not buy new. I think the price of the car new is a little high. I had purchased a new 2004 Jeep Limited with leather before the Vue and it was the same price.

Favorite Features

I really like how low to the ground the Vue sits. My 4 year old can get in and out by himself. I also like how the front seat folds down.

Suggested Improvements

Make the arm rests more stable and make it rear wheel drive instead of front wheel. The front wheel drive slips around in the mud more and it just does not feel right.

Rear suspension problems like crazy!
By Nancy

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

That's it! Going back to a minivan! I rely on my AWD because of where I live and my VUE reliably fails when winter hits. Had it in for service last February (2004) and they replaced the parts that work the rear wheel AWD. Guess what? We have two feet of snow and I have a front-wheel drive car again! That's right, it's out again. Not only that, but can't get the VUE in for a whole week for service. We were told last time it wasn't too "safe" to drive if the rear suspension was working right. Also, there's been some sort of recall that we were never notified by mail (or otherwise) about that they are fixing next week in the shop. Very disappointed in my VUE. Will be selling soon.

Favorite Features

Handling, size

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything. I should've bought a Mazda or Dodge again!

Thank God for the warranty!!!
By Zeyda

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

By the time I take my Vue in for the oil change every 3000 miles,I find something wrong with it. The last time the sensor had to be replace. Before that, I had to get something replaced that had to do with the emission or oxygen which made my Vue shut off in the middle of driving. The tranmission has been giving me trouble. And now, there's a screeching sound when I turn it on every morning. I took it to the dealer and of course, when they turn it on the noise disappears. Also, some part has been recalled or something and the dealer never has the part that has to replace it in. It's very frustrating. I should have bought a Toyota! Thank God for the warranty!!

Favorite Features

I love the adjustable seat; I'm a shorty. Very roomy for a mini SUV. Saturns customer service is excellent. I appreciated the o% financing, the warranty and no haggling, which were the deciding factors in purching the Vue.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the front windshield to improve the drivers visibility to make right turns. Improve the interior quality; it looks cheat. Improve the transmission and the engine!

S
By awd

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had to take it to the dealership 4 times because of steering column noises..Vehicle is not heavy enough for the engine it has..Not fun to drive in the city..Doesn't shiled outside noises very well.