2002 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
Disappointed
By Chris on 12/31/08 05:39 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning a Grand Cherokee with over 200K (with no issues, we bought what we thought would be a great vehicle, but... We love the design and comfort. From the day we got it though, there have been a string of mechanical problems. From the service engine light on and off all of the time, to the transmission slipping. It cost nearly $1000 to replace the alternator b/c the part had to come from Saturn and the engine had to be moved just to get to it. Now it needs a wheel hub and a water pump. The suspension is very noisy as well. I wish GM had put the right drivetrain in it they would have had a winner!

Love/Hate relationship
By MP on 07/29/08 13:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had the Vue for 3 yrs and enjoyed until it started having problems at 40k miles. Handles OK in snow. Was able to get up steep hill in 2 in snow with minimal slippage. Gets 19/26 mpg. Love the layout of trunk. Unfortunately needs work now. Hubs bad and thermostat went out last year. Work cheaper to get done by someone other than dealership. Loved it and hoped to own for several years until it started breaking down at so few miles. Wish it didn't have problems.

2002 Saturn Vue 4 cyl 5 speed reliable
By Jim on 05/05/08 05:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At the ripe old age of 65 and having been involved with auto repairs and sales most all of those years I must say that the 2002' Saturn Vue 4 cylinder 5-speed manual is a great bargain. I have owned too many vehicles to count. At 120k miles it uses no oil and in the last 20k that we have owned it, 1-exhaust hanger is the only repair. It has had full synthetic oil since it was born. 5-speed shifter is a bit notchy but adequate.

Worst Vehicle Ever Owned
By TL in Wichita on 11/17/07 08:48 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The only good thing about this car is the looks. Performance is good when it works. From the beginning, this vehicle has been in the shop for numerous maintenance issues from suspension, to leaking antifreeze, and many other problems. This car is so poorly built that as soon as it was paid off, I took it the following day and dumped it. Maintenance costs are very high. Was quoted $400.00 to replace a faulty thermostat because much of the engine would have be be broken down to get to it. Same with changing the spark plugs. I will never purchase another Saturn again. To think I traded a low mileage Camry for this piece of junk! I guess we all make foolish mistakes. I now own a Toyota again!!!

My VUE is a POJ
By Vince on 11/15/07 10:58 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have nothing but continued trouble with this vehicle from day 1 including ABS sensors, transmission issues along with many other small problems that seem to "popup" over the time I have owned the vehicle. I would not and will not ever recommend or own a Saturn or VUE again in my life.

Saturn VUE stability in question
By petnurse on 10/12/07 08:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Saturn VUE for 5 almost 6 years. I have had issues with stability on the highway on windy days and with potholes or uneven freeways. It almost rolled over once and that was very scary. I'm not a speedy driver either. I took it in and they adjusted the alignment and it helped somewhat but I've been scared to drive it ever since. I've also had issues with air conditioning fluid leaking onto my feet from the console. Have reported this several, several times and nothing was done about it. The tires are not good in the snow.

Lots of Repairs
By ddt on 09/21/07 13:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned the '02 Vue for 1 year. In that time, replaced / repaired: 1. Throttle Body, 2. Entire engine wiring harness, 3. SES light on every other month for something, 4. Leaks into cabin from sunroof. Total outlay: about $3,000. This repair work occurred during 46-56,000 mile period. The car has good performance overall. But the repairs just keep me from enjoying it. Now, weird noises coming from the drive train - dull roar. Like many in this column, I bought it for perceived value for the price. I wouldn't buy another Vue again. Recommend looking at the Ford Escape 4wd or a Jeep before looking at this vehicle.

Better than I expected
By good lil suv on 08/18/07 09:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought a Vue used with almost 40K miles on it and thought I would have to do some TLC before it was long trip worthy. Drove it from Pennsylvania to Ohio to Florida and back to Pennsylvania ( over 4000 miles driving the 1st 2 weeks ) and all I had to do was fill the gas tank and wash the windows. If it was a little bit more truck like I would get rid of my bigger SUV and take this to the cabin instead.

vVery happy with this purchase
By jukir on 05/22/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE Fwd 4dr SUV (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Our familly was growing, and we needed a larger car. We purchased the Saturn in June of 2002, and it is now May of 2007. I have never had it in the shop except for oil changes and tire changes of course. I still get about 28 mpg. There is plenty of room for three children and a large dog The trunk offers a grocery storage area. There are plenty of cup holders as well as leg room. The only change that I would make would be the comfort of the seats, as it seems to lack lumbar support.

Pretty good, but...
By Harry on 03/25/07 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I like this vehicle. Don't like the tinny noise on the tailgate door. Sounds really cheap! Front end components feel flimsy but the steering is good. I have engine noise that sounds like a diesel but not as loud. Don't like the fact that you have to remove the intake system to do a tune up. Cost about double what most other cars would. Really dislike the transmission. Jerky, shifts to much, and passing gear puts the rpm through the roof, even when you just ease the throttle when passing. The AWD makes a loud terrible noise when it engages, but I understand thbat this is common. I think most of my complaints are minor compared to the overall performance of this vehicle.