2002 Saturn VUE - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific VUE model:
Given us Great Service
By tizmeusee on 01/02/12 09:10 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned it since new (June 02). It really has been quite reliable. Had a few accidents and it still handled great after the repairs. Honestly, you can't tell. Apart from normal wearables (tires, oil changes, tune ups, etc.), it has had a few expensive repairs over the years. Several faulty sensors had to be replaced to the tune of $500 a pop and the belt that MUST be done at 100K miles. Gas mileage was about 22 mpg in mixed city/hwy. We took a number of very long trips in it (family of four) and were quite comfortable.

Horrible!
By mres08 on 12/26/10 14:10 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car ever. After owning for 1 1/2 years, I have to get rid of it. Have is the key word. It died on the highway. Nobody can tell me specifically what's wrong with it because there's about 8 different things wrong with it. The engine is about to go. There are brake problems, engine problems, thermostat problems, etc. I regret getting this car-- it's had problems since day one. No wonder Saturn's out of business. The reliability of their cars are seemingly terrible.

I hate this car!
By disappointed on 04/19/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Worst car I have ever owned! I bought this car in 06 and have had problems ever since! Within a week of getting it, it went the shop for a mouth and a half. and I have had problems ever since. Wish I could trade it in instead of putting more money in it but cant afford either one right now. I really dislike this car!

Love It!!!!
By Kelley on 01/14/10 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I LOVE My Saturn! It has been very dependable & handles excellent! Other than Oil Changes, I had to replace the crank position sensor which was about $85 (A very popular problem in these vehicles) and Im about to change the sway bar links here pretty soon. (also another common problem in VUEs) I take great care of my VUE. Oil Changed every 3,000 with Mobil 5,000, Wax's, Mid-Grade Gas, I get about 24MPG, I love it and expect it to last another 75,000 or more!

Have Never Been So Disappointed
By Ednava58 on 09/25/09 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I wish I never bought the 2002 Saturn VUE. When I first test drove it, it had no heat and it was in 12/02, before purchasing the car they promised to fix it. Well the dealer had my car more than I did and it became a joke at work and with friends. I would always hear, oh it is in the shop AGAIN. I told them I had transmission problems, of course they say there was nothing wrong. Well in 2008 I was still having problems with the transmission and the service manager checked my VIN and found out that I was ONE number away from getting a new transmission, but no luck. I lost all power one day entering on the highway, oh so many things went wrong with this thing they call a VUE.

First time Saturn owner
By Mary on 05/02/09 07:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Vue new and was hit twice within my first year, both times extensive damage was done. On both occasions, I had no sore neck or any other physical problems afterward. It was though I hadn't been in an accident. I'd been T-boned and rear ended. I'm extremely pleased with it's crash protection qualities. I love my Vue, and hadn't experienced any real mechanical failures until around 100,000 miles. Then it was an O2 sensor, engine leak, and engine light staying on. It turned out to be the part that allows the diagnostics to work (forget name ). Five- hundred dollars later, it seems that only the light was bad. I now have 108,000 and wonder if I should sell it soon. No regrets!

Great Buy!!
By nine on 04/08/09 15:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Went from a 3/4ton Suburban to this tiny Vue, I absolutely love it!! I have had it a year with no problems what so ever! Stock stereo is great nice and loud! There is plenty of room for my kids and travel and camping gear. The dent resistant body is great keeps it looking smooth. Very classy sophisticated family car!

Make sure they are New
By 5th Time the Charm on 04/01/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

5 time Saturn owner looking for a truck. Found a loaded '02 VUE off of a 3 year lease with 24K miles. Everything was great until 50K. Then it was new tires, brakes, cam positioning sensor, front strut mounts and a gremlin in the electrical system. 72K saw new catalytic converter, front strut bushings (sounded like there was a metal on metal grind from the front end, must have been the mounts again) and brakes, again. All covered under warranty. 85K saw new shocks, struts, tires, center support bearing for rear drive, 3 wheel bearings and to top it off a bad ECM! Truck was great when it ran. Solid power, stable and comfortable. Make sure you have a warranty. When it expires, dump it.

02 Saturn Vue
By dqpryor on 01/23/09 12:32 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Certainly had some first year bugs (windshield not set correctly, computer had glitches, etc.) but it's been a very functional vehicle. We got a lot of utility out of it.

Don't buy one
By kevin on 01/22/09 11:30 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn VUE AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new, love the dealer hate the quality of the Vue. Here are just a few of the problems I've had over the years. Struts went bad at 500 miles, car had to be towed at 1000 miles would not start burrs in the fuel rail bad abs the breaks stink, both O2 sensors are bad, crank case sensor went bad, gas guage works when it feels like it same with turn signals. Engine control module went out when driving 70 mph lost all control of everything including power breaks and steering. My wife was locked in the car not once but twice (how is that possible)? Car lost all power while driving in Atlanta on way to Florida, went to dealer was charged $85 for bad connection happened again.