2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Surprised
By mcflurryjay on 10/14/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Probably the most reliable car ive ever had the pleasure of owning. Good on gas and great for all the road trips i take. If they still made these cars, i'd buy another.

Great small car
By steiny96 on 01/19/13 00:21 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is the ultimate second car to own. It looks innocent, pedestrian. The interior is satisfying but not a luxury experience. The seats are supporting but not completely comfortable. But, underneath this boring appearance is a great ride. The steering is weighted perfect--just point and steer. The engine groans when pushed, but is surprisingly quick. And the 5-speed is smooth and a joy to use. Add to that a very reliable engine, rust proof exterior and 35 to 40 MPG, and you get a car that makes the drive to work quick, reliable and cheap. It isn't a Honda, it isn't a Porsche and it isn't a Buick. It's a Saturn. And for the money, you can't buy this much fun from any of those brands.

Great used car!!!!
By vlhgsd on 05/19/11 21:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Saturn, bought used with 92k miles in January, just turned 100k miles. These cars, if/when something goes wrong, are VERY easy to work on. My 18 yr old son just bought a 2002 Saturn SL2 as well. I previously had a 96 SL1 and a 92 SC2. He was working on them at 14/15 yrs old. Had higher idle issue, cleaned egr replaced egr gasket, went from 30-32mpg to 36mpg!! Be aware though, even if it doesn't leak oil, they will BURN it!!

Don't even THINK about buying this car ! ! !
By soldio on 04/18/11 09:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car, i bought it at 73,000k miles. After driving it 1500 miles the engine started to make a rattling noise so I took it to my dad's mechanic and he tells me the engine needs to be replace COMPLETELY. He asked me why I bought a Saturn, these are very unreliable cars and i would never EVER buy one again in my life. I went to see my car dealer and he also told me that the car needed a new engine, the SAME GUY WHO SOLD ME THE CAR ! ! My guarantee is over so my only choice is to sue him. If you are searching for a new car and you are 18-25 years old and you know nothing about cars THIS CAR IS A NO NO! NEVER EVEN CONSIDER IT, THIS IS A DISPOSABLE CAR ! !

Great little car
By tmpj1524 on 01/24/10 22:10 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my SL2 for about 6 months now. Have put about 7k miles on it. Just last night, check engine came on, it is an O2 sensor. Other than that, it is a very smooth, comfortable car. I would drive this car anywhere. It has the 1.9 twin cam, 5 speed. I love the CD player in it, it sounds great. Will not switch it. It is at 73k miles now. Shifts smooth. Was hard to get used to, the shifting is different. Have a bit of an oil leak problem, idk if it is exactly leaking, but I am losing oil. The shop will be looking at it when they change the O2 sensor. I get about 40 mpg. 124 hp in a small engine like that? I love it. It has get up and go, gets on the highway great. Buy one.

Great car
By goodtimes on 08/01/09 13:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 SL2 a little over 2 years ago it had 60,000 when we purchased it and now its at 124,000 and aside from the 3000 oil changes we have not had to replace anything except for new brake pads and a new set of tires. It has been such a reliable car I think I am going to buy another one. Just do the regular maintenance on it and it will do you good. Like I said maintain it I can't stress that enough.

Surprised
By Chris on 04/26/09 18:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car brand new for $8000 as a WE have to move this car type deal. I asked several Saturn Mechanics and they all said, change the oil(s) and spark plugs religiously and the engine will last forever. Oil change every 3,000, tranny/filter 50,000, plugs 30,000, coolant 50,000 and Belt(s) 50,000. I have found that the smaller mechanics are the best rather than the dealer and do better work. Do it yourself on the plugs - 10 mins, tranny/filter - 30 mins if you do the oil/filter at the same time. Self maintenance is covered by the owners manual and is written for dummies. It may be small, but 41 mpg with the air on...come on what is not to love and insurance is cheap.

Good Short Person Car
By Ary on 02/21/09 18:38 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Very good car for a short (under 5'5) person of average build. I find it very comfortable as I can reach all the controls easily. Parking brake is difficult to set if you have a broad shouldered or heavy passenger in the front seat. Taller individuals find the car is not comfortable. Difficult to fit a car seat into the back if the seat is back to far. Great college and commuter car.

Fun, Reliable, Great MPG Car!
By PHX AZ CJ on 01/03/09 19:15 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I am second owner of this vehicle, and very happy with it. I bought the car from a local Saturn dealer about 20,000 miles/2.5 years ago. (it now has 80,000) Aside from routine 3000 mile oil changes (at the dealer as I like to have the maint. records in 1 place,) I had the dried out looking fanbelt replaced. I also replaced the battery after 2 years.. ..not bad for Phoenix,Arizona! I also replaced wiper blades once. The auto transmission has no problems (also rare in the Phoenix heat) but I am planning a fluid flush/change soon. Air blows cold/no recharges needed (also not bad in PHX!) Sporty looking, plenty of power, hi mpg, very low maintenance costs! Very good value!

Good Basic Car
By Christine on 11/15/08 22:22 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in Feb 2005. Under warrenty I had the driver's seat stabilized (it rocked), power steering replaced and the taillights replaced. Since I bought a new battery, replaced belt, brake job and radiator flush. It's at 77k now and driving just fine. I have had no problems with this car. It really lacks power and has "got up and went".

1 2 3 4 5 next »