Used 2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Surprised
By mcflurryjay

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Probably the most reliable car ive ever had the pleasure of owning. Good on gas and great for all the road trips i take. If they still made these cars, i'd buy another.

Favorite Features

Traction control, side airbags and third door

Suggested Improvements

I have to slam the driver side door to close it and the armrest is fragile.

Great small car
By steiny96

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is the ultimate second car to own. It looks innocent, pedestrian. The interior is satisfying but not a luxury experience. The seats are supporting but not completely comfortable. But, underneath this boring appearance is a great ride. The steering is weighted perfect--just point and steer. The engine groans when pushed, but is surprisingly quick. And the 5-speed is smooth and a joy to use. Add to that a very reliable engine, rust proof exterior and 35 to 40 MPG, and you get a car that makes the drive to work quick, reliable and cheap. It isn't a Honda, it isn't a Porsche and it isn't a Buick. It's a Saturn. And for the money, you can't buy this much fun from any of those brands.

Favorite Features

Fantastic steering, spirited engine, smooth gearbox, reliable engine, cheap to own, never rusts, great engineering, excellent fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

interior is boring, engine could use more muscle

Great used car!!!!
By vlhgsd

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd Saturn, bought used with 92k miles in January, just turned 100k miles. These cars, if/when something goes wrong, are VERY easy to work on. My 18 yr old son just bought a 2002 Saturn SL2 as well. I previously had a 96 SL1 and a 92 SC2. He was working on them at 14/15 yrs old. Had higher idle issue, cleaned egr replaced egr gasket, went from 30-32mpg to 36mpg!! Be aware though, even if it doesn't leak oil, they will BURN it!!

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

As no longer being made and out of business, a mute point.

Don't even THINK about buying this car ! ! !
By soldio

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first car, i bought it at 73,000k miles. After driving it 1500 miles the engine started to make a rattling noise so I took it to my dad's mechanic and he tells me the engine needs to be replace COMPLETELY. He asked me why I bought a Saturn, these are very unreliable cars and i would never EVER buy one again in my life. I went to see my car dealer and he also told me that the car needed a new engine, the SAME GUY WHO SOLD ME THE CAR ! ! My guarantee is over so my only choice is to sue him. If you are searching for a new car and you are 18-25 years old and you know nothing about cars THIS CAR IS A NO NO! NEVER EVEN CONSIDER IT, THIS IS A DISPOSABLE CAR ! !

Great little car
By tmpj1524

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my SL2 for about 6 months now. Have put about 7k miles on it. Just last night, check engine came on, it is an O2 sensor. Other than that, it is a very smooth, comfortable car. I would drive this car anywhere. It has the 1.9 twin cam, 5 speed. I love the CD player in it, it sounds great. Will not switch it. It is at 73k miles now. Shifts smooth. Was hard to get used to, the shifting is different. Have a bit of an oil leak problem, idk if it is exactly leaking, but I am losing oil. The shop will be looking at it when they change the O2 sensor. I get about 40 mpg. 124 hp in a small engine like that? I love it. It has get up and go, gets on the highway great. Buy one.

Favorite Features

Sound system, one of the only 5 speeds with cruise control I have seen. Actually, I can say everything is my favorite. I love that car. Also, the paper that came with it said it was made of 85% Canadian and US materials. Glad to have a very American car.

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them. Put an MP3 cd player or an aux jack on the radio. Fuse box in the middle console by the passenger's feet? That's weird, but it makes it easy to change the fuses.