Used 2002 Saturn S-Series SL1 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

02 SL1 Commuter
By mattmk

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SL1 with 26 miles on the odometer. Had doubts about this car from the outset; the car I was supposed to get had trans. failure on the way to the dealer. At the moment, I'm just shy of 260,000. I'm hoping to make it to 300K. The car has been very reliable, the only major issues I've had: 1) Front driver side wheel bearing ($400) 2) Back up lights stopped working at about 200K 3) Emergency brake (which I used every time) went at about 250K 4) The engine goes through about 2 qts of oil every 4k miles. I also used 10W30 instead of 5W30 and still averaged 38mpg I finally replaced both front headlamps ($34) with a little brighter lamp. Heat and A/C still work (surprise!)

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Make a car like this again, only with more legroom.

2002 Saturn SL1
By dthyrunner14

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in '02. Low mileage first 2 1/2 years due to college, except for a spring break trip from Ohio to Texas. Performed wonderfully entire trip. Currently at 125,00. Have only started having trouble with it last 3 years or so. Ignition went bad, actually had to be replaced TWICE, but 2nd time was probably due to the fact that dealer did not tell me to get a new key made after the first replacement. Around 120,000, catalytic converter was to be replaced. Muffler also shakes and has been difficult to fix, but the fiance tries. :)

Favorite Features

With regular maintenance (3K mile oil changes, spark plugs & wires) car has performed well. Is definitely a turd at the starting line, but coasts well on highways. I have definitely not taken it easy on this car. Still gets ~32 mpg. Exterior is now starting to chip & peel, but hey, over 10 years I'd say that's not too bad.

Value Personified
By saturndriver2

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

If you want unmitigated perfection, you have to spend more than $14,000.00. But if you want reliable, comfortable, economical transportation so you can spend your money doing fun things, then the Saturn SL1 is for you. I am on my second, and between them have over 300,000 miles. I only got rid of my first one because of damage I induced. Great gas mileage, simple to keep up, and reliable. I like the manual transmission because I live in the mountains and I want control. Great car for people who don't need a ride to define themselves.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, dependability, maintainability.

Suggested Improvements

Not a race car or testosterone enhancement.

Save your money, don't buy!
By mjg

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Have had my 2002 SL1 for 1 year, bought it from a dealer and had it checked out before I bought it. It only had 61,000 miles on it. Within one year (and I only put 4,000 miles on it!) I have had to do $ 2,000.00 in repairs. Besides regular maintenance & oil changes, the passenger side lock will not work, ignition problems key won't turn on car, key replaced several times, serpetine belt, radiator hoses, rear brakes replaced, rear manfield leaking, coolant intakes gaskets leaking, alignment, coolant leaking, hoses replaced and on and on. This car is a piece of crap and the most mileage I ever got out of it with manual transmission on the highway was only a stinking 28 mpg. What a waste!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Everything

hate to sell her
By bagman

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for a commuter car I drive 116 miles round trip 5 to 6 days a week it has served me well I was averaging 40 mpg. The only issues I had with the car was now and then the key was hard to turn and the spark plug wires had to be changed after 200,000 miles ha! I'm selling the car today only because I purchased a new Commuter car. I hate to see her go it has been the best car I have ever owned but all things must come to an end, today she has 238,999 miles Great Car.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, ease of maintenance except oil filter bad placement.

Suggested Improvements

keep making them, more comfortable seating