Used 2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

My saturn could take me anywhere
By ryan3462

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car about a year ago with 170,000 miles on it, it now has 180,000. it has never gave me any engine problems and has never failed to start on me. These SL2s could last forever if you treat them right. I have no intention of selling it until it dies. If you're looking to buy one, I suggest you buy it!

Favorite Features

Everything.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

MY 02 SATURN SL1
By mainsworth

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it new in Fargo ND,while on vacation. I love this car. the silverblue paint still shines. its been parked outside most of the time. 178,000 miles on it I change the oil every 4000 r 5500 miles.its had transmission fluid and filter and radiator fluid changed 3 r 4 times now.A/c still works,heat working actually everything has been working very well.transmossion solonoids change plugs an wires. power windows power locks remote door locks all work. with a little work i cleaned the interrior and I think it still looks like new.O yeah a few brake changes and one allignment.

Favorite Features

powermirrors,windows,locks,good a/c ,heat,rides smooth. I actually like it better than r new Escape cause no payments. that is the greatest thing of all no payments..costs next to nothin to keep maintainded at near by garage!!! its not really for sale at book price because It is worth more than anyone would get me to sell this car. PS I am looking for another 02 sl1

Suggested Improvements

I would not do anything but tint windows and a new radio..

Surprised
By mcflurryjay

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Probably the most reliable car ive ever had the pleasure of owning. Good on gas and great for all the road trips i take. If they still made these cars, i'd buy another.

Favorite Features

Traction control, side airbags and third door

Suggested Improvements

I have to slam the driver side door to close it and the armrest is fragile.

02 SL1 Commuter
By mattmk

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SL1 with 26 miles on the odometer. Had doubts about this car from the outset; the car I was supposed to get had trans. failure on the way to the dealer. At the moment, I'm just shy of 260,000. I'm hoping to make it to 300K. The car has been very reliable, the only major issues I've had: 1) Front driver side wheel bearing ($400) 2) Back up lights stopped working at about 200K 3) Emergency brake (which I used every time) went at about 250K 4) The engine goes through about 2 qts of oil every 4k miles. I also used 10W30 instead of 5W30 and still averaged 38mpg I finally replaced both front headlamps ($34) with a little brighter lamp. Heat and A/C still work (surprise!)

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, low maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Make a car like this again, only with more legroom.

Great small car
By steiny96

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is the ultimate second car to own. It looks innocent, pedestrian. The interior is satisfying but not a luxury experience. The seats are supporting but not completely comfortable. But, underneath this boring appearance is a great ride. The steering is weighted perfect--just point and steer. The engine groans when pushed, but is surprisingly quick. And the 5-speed is smooth and a joy to use. Add to that a very reliable engine, rust proof exterior and 35 to 40 MPG, and you get a car that makes the drive to work quick, reliable and cheap. It isn't a Honda, it isn't a Porsche and it isn't a Buick. It's a Saturn. And for the money, you can't buy this much fun from any of those brands.

Favorite Features

Fantastic steering, spirited engine, smooth gearbox, reliable engine, cheap to own, never rusts, great engineering, excellent fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

interior is boring, engine could use more muscle