2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
My saturn could take me anywhere
By ryan3462 on 06/23/14 07:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car about a year ago with 170,000 miles on it, it now has 180,000. it has never gave me any engine problems and has never failed to start on me. These SL2s could last forever if you treat them right. I have no intention of selling it until it dies. If you're looking to buy one, I suggest you buy it!

MY 02 SATURN SL1
By mainsworth on 11/20/13 17:08 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it new in Fargo ND,while on vacation. I love this car. the silverblue paint still shines. its been parked outside most of the time. 178,000 miles on it I change the oil every 4000 r 5500 miles.its had transmission fluid and filter and radiator fluid changed 3 r 4 times now.A/c still works,heat working actually everything has been working very well.transmossion solonoids change plugs an wires. power windows power locks remote door locks all work. with a little work i cleaned the interrior and I think it still looks like new.O yeah a few brake changes and one allignment.

Surprised
By mcflurryjay on 10/14/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Probably the most reliable car ive ever had the pleasure of owning. Good on gas and great for all the road trips i take. If they still made these cars, i'd buy another.

02 SL1 Commuter
By mattmk on 06/22/13 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SL1 with 26 miles on the odometer. Had doubts about this car from the outset; the car I was supposed to get had trans. failure on the way to the dealer. At the moment, I'm just shy of 260,000. I'm hoping to make it to 300K. The car has been very reliable, the only major issues I've had: 1) Front driver side wheel bearing ($400) 2) Back up lights stopped working at about 200K 3) Emergency brake (which I used every time) went at about 250K 4) The engine goes through about 2 qts of oil every 4k miles. I also used 10W30 instead of 5W30 and still averaged 38mpg I finally replaced both front headlamps ($34) with a little brighter lamp. Heat and A/C still work (surprise!)

Great small car
By steiny96 on 01/19/13 00:21 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is the ultimate second car to own. It looks innocent, pedestrian. The interior is satisfying but not a luxury experience. The seats are supporting but not completely comfortable. But, underneath this boring appearance is a great ride. The steering is weighted perfect--just point and steer. The engine groans when pushed, but is surprisingly quick. And the 5-speed is smooth and a joy to use. Add to that a very reliable engine, rust proof exterior and 35 to 40 MPG, and you get a car that makes the drive to work quick, reliable and cheap. It isn't a Honda, it isn't a Porsche and it isn't a Buick. It's a Saturn. And for the money, you can't buy this much fun from any of those brands.

2002 Saturn SL1
By dthyrunner14 on 10/12/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in '02. Low mileage first 2 1/2 years due to college, except for a spring break trip from Ohio to Texas. Performed wonderfully entire trip. Currently at 125,00. Have only started having trouble with it last 3 years or so. Ignition went bad, actually had to be replaced TWICE, but 2nd time was probably due to the fact that dealer did not tell me to get a new key made after the first replacement. Around 120,000, catalytic converter was to be replaced. Muffler also shakes and has been difficult to fix, but the fiance tries. :)

WORST CAR EVER
By not_happy2 on 09/01/12 12:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I;ve had this car for a few years and have had problems since day one. Breaks squeak, has no pick up, have had to replace the transmission at 80,000 miles, constant front end issues, always have a hard time passing state inspection, have an idle problem that I just cant get fixed because no mechanic can figure it out. I;ve put more money into in replacing sensor/valves trying to figure out the issue than I should have. Over all I cant remember when I didnt have some sort of problem with this car other than for a month or two. I HATE MY CAR! I HATE SATURNS!

Value Personified
By saturndriver2 on 03/22/12 22:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

If you want unmitigated perfection, you have to spend more than $14,000.00. But if you want reliable, comfortable, economical transportation so you can spend your money doing fun things, then the Saturn SL1 is for you. I am on my second, and between them have over 300,000 miles. I only got rid of my first one because of damage I induced. Great gas mileage, simple to keep up, and reliable. I like the manual transmission because I live in the mountains and I want control. Great car for people who don't need a ride to define themselves.

Great First Car
By anacecilia on 03/20/12 07:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1. It's my first car and I've been driving it for 3 years, my older sister drove it for 2 years before I acquired it. It currently has over 330,000 miles on it and I have to admit that it's doing great. We bought it used and the previous owner really babied it. The only repairs that had to be done to it at all since we bought it has been recent; the thermostat had to be replaced as well as the exhaust valve but that may have been my fault for not checking the oil which does tend to burn through very quickly. The only thing I don't like about the car is that you have to really gun it to get up hills, I don't know if that's just my car or if it's normal for Saturns.

i love saturn
By fiammafiore on 01/22/12 19:25 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series Sedan SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Ever since I was younger, before I could even drive, I have always wanted a Saturn. Finally in 2003, I got one! I purchased my '02 SL1 barely used from a Saturn dealer and it has been the BEST car. I personally owned it for 7 years before giving it to my sister and she has now owned it for 2 years. It has been VERY reliable, hardly needing any repairs (just had to have the water pump and tensioner belt replaced). But for a car that has been in my family for 9 years and this being the first major repair, I'd say that is excellent! My husband and I purchased our own '02 Saturn and that one has been excellent too. I am sad to see the brand go, I would have been a life long Saturn owner!