Used 2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Saturn Fan - Own 3 SC's
By RPM

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 1995 SC2(180K Miles), a 2002 SC2(153K Miles) and a 2002 SC1(113K Miles). These are quite possibly the greatest economy cars ever built. These cars were so far ahead of their time, it's insane. Back when these cars came out in 1991, GM only had a piece of junk Iron Duke 2.5L 4-cylinder with throttle body injection in their other cars. Saturn was GM's answer to Honda and Toyota. The original Saturn(which were actually 100% Saturn and not made of other GM junk parts) SL's and SC's are just wonderful cars. They are easily the cheapest cars in the world to buy, maintain, drive and fuel. The only thing I have ever had to do to these cars is: You will have to replace a wheel bearing/hub assembly($35 on ebay) at around 135-150K and they will lose the plastic radiators at about 150K($50 on eBay). Other than that, they are 100% bulletproof reliable. All mine are 5-speeds. My 95 SC2 gets 35mpg on the highway. My 02 SC2 gets 36mpg on the highway and my 02 SC1 gets 40mpg on the highway. I highly recommend the 2001-02's for the updated styling and better, more rattle free interiors.

I LOVE this car!!
By gmgirl33

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 SC2 3 years ago and it only had 60,000 miles on it. I love the way it looks, sporty with an attitude, it definitely cannot be mistaken for any other vehicle from any angle, which is a huge plus in my book. I used my car for commuting over 500 miles a week for almost 2 years. I also am very hard on my cars, I have a bit of a lead foot. Now I use him to travel all over U.S. for my job, he now has over 133,000 miles on him but I do take care of him, with regular oil changes and tune ups. But this car has not cost me any more than that, I did put tires, but that's normal. My father, who owns a auto shop, told me to buy a Saturn. It was best choice I ever made!

Love the 3rd door, most people don't even know its there. My most favorite thing about the car though I have to say are the 6 drink holders in it!! AND they fit most size drinks too! I love that, and since the car is so small I can reach each of them, even in the back seat, comfortably. I like being able to fit in tight spots. I really just love this whole car. I want to buy another and have twins. Mine is black with gray interior and I don't see too many others like it. My German Shepherd even fits comfortably in the back when I travel.

HMMMMM........ the only thing I would like more would be maybe a little more cushioning in the seats, but I spend many hours and miles in this car and it still is more comfortable than most. A little more horsepower..... maybe, but the way it is now keeps me from getting in trouble and it still can get out of its own way.

The little car that can!
By porcelainc

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this back in 2004, with 23 thousand miles on it, just to get me by, thinking it was a piece of crap car. Here we are 10 years later! Little did I know this Saturn would be such a good friend, turn the key, and she goes, with all scheduled maintenance, beyond reliable, easy on gas. This is the 1st year I've had to put a good amount of money in repairs, but Maine roads are not forgiving on any car. 12 yrs old, with 109,000 miles, I'll see how far she wants to take me! I detailed it after this long winter, she's shining like a new penny, I'm in love all over again! Always been a fun little car to drive.

Automatic moon roof, doors, windows, locks, AC. Really cool little side door, was great when my daughter was a baby, very easy to get her in and out of.

Such a shame Saturn is no longer.

Great little commuter
By exxiv

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn SC with 60,000 miles on the clock. 1 year and 15,000 miles later there has been absolutely no issues. Its solid and reliable with great fuel economy and decent acceleration. Its abit low for my taste but i absolutely recommend the saturn s-series after my year of ownership.

The 5 cup holders.

Interior quality isnt great but the car is over a decade old and the design dates back to the early 90s so i cant complain.

I love this thing
By fazdaz

2002 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in in 2008 and have been driving it so much and I just can't complain. It's not a fancy car but it's super reliable. Manual tranmission is fun to drive if you know how to drive and when you realize how much it saves you. I have taught about 10 people how to drive manual transmission on this very car. A lot of them weren't gentle on it and yet it just won't break down. I currently have 130k miles on it and it just keeps on going. The only thing I've been doing for it is change of oil and I did change tires.

Very low maintanance. Easy to repair and the parts are cheap. Manual is just fun to drive and car's shape if pretty good for 2002 model.

Interior is plasticy and the engine is kind of loud.