2002 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
My saturn could take me anywhere
By ryan3462 on 06/23/14 07:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car about a year ago with 170,000 miles on it, it now has 180,000. it has never gave me any engine problems and has never failed to start on me. These SL2s could last forever if you treat them right. I have no intention of selling it until it dies. If you're looking to buy one, I suggest you buy it!

The little car that can!
By porcelainc on 04/23/14 13:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this back in 2004, with 23 thousand miles on it, just to get me by, thinking it was a piece of crap car. Here we are 10 years later! Little did I know this Saturn would be such a good friend, turn the key, and she goes, with all scheduled maintenance, beyond reliable, easy on gas. This is the 1st year I've had to put a good amount of money in repairs, but Maine roads are not forgiving on any car. 12 yrs old, with 109,000 miles, I'll see how far she wants to take me! I detailed it after this long winter, she's shining like a new penny, I'm in love all over again! Always been a fun little car to drive.

MY 02 SATURN SL1
By mainsworth on 11/20/13 17:08 PM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

We bought it new in Fargo ND,while on vacation. I love this car. the silverblue paint still shines. its been parked outside most of the time. 178,000 miles on it I change the oil every 4000 r 5500 miles.its had transmission fluid and filter and radiator fluid changed 3 r 4 times now.A/c still works,heat working actually everything has been working very well.transmossion solonoids change plugs an wires. power windows power locks remote door locks all work. with a little work i cleaned the interrior and I think it still looks like new.O yeah a few brake changes and one allignment.

Surprised
By mcflurryjay on 10/14/13 17:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Probably the most reliable car ive ever had the pleasure of owning. Good on gas and great for all the road trips i take. If they still made these cars, i'd buy another.

Great little commuter
By exxiv on 10/13/13 08:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Saturn SC with 60,000 miles on the clock. 1 year and 15,000 miles later there has been absolutely no issues. Its solid and reliable with great fuel economy and decent acceleration. Its abit low for my taste but i absolutely recommend the saturn s-series after my year of ownership.

02 SL1 Commuter
By mattmk on 06/22/13 12:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SL1 with 26 miles on the odometer. Had doubts about this car from the outset; the car I was supposed to get had trans. failure on the way to the dealer. At the moment, I'm just shy of 260,000. I'm hoping to make it to 300K. The car has been very reliable, the only major issues I've had: 1) Front driver side wheel bearing ($400) 2) Back up lights stopped working at about 200K 3) Emergency brake (which I used every time) went at about 250K 4) The engine goes through about 2 qts of oil every 4k miles. I also used 10W30 instead of 5W30 and still averaged 38mpg I finally replaced both front headlamps ($34) with a little brighter lamp. Heat and A/C still work (surprise!)

I love this thing
By fazdaz on 05/23/13 11:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in in 2008 and have been driving it so much and I just can't complain. It's not a fancy car but it's super reliable. Manual tranmission is fun to drive if you know how to drive and when you realize how much it saves you. I have taught about 10 people how to drive manual transmission on this very car. A lot of them weren't gentle on it and yet it just won't break down. I currently have 130k miles on it and it just keeps on going. The only thing I've been doing for it is change of oil and I did change tires.

Great small car
By steiny96 on 01/19/13 00:21 AM (PST)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is the ultimate second car to own. It looks innocent, pedestrian. The interior is satisfying but not a luxury experience. The seats are supporting but not completely comfortable. But, underneath this boring appearance is a great ride. The steering is weighted perfect--just point and steer. The engine groans when pushed, but is surprisingly quick. And the 5-speed is smooth and a joy to use. Add to that a very reliable engine, rust proof exterior and 35 to 40 MPG, and you get a car that makes the drive to work quick, reliable and cheap. It isn't a Honda, it isn't a Porsche and it isn't a Buick. It's a Saturn. And for the money, you can't buy this much fun from any of those brands.

2002 Saturn SL1
By dthyrunner14 on 10/12/12 18:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in '02. Low mileage first 2 1/2 years due to college, except for a spring break trip from Ohio to Texas. Performed wonderfully entire trip. Currently at 125,00. Have only started having trouble with it last 3 years or so. Ignition went bad, actually had to be replaced TWICE, but 2nd time was probably due to the fact that dealer did not tell me to get a new key made after the first replacement. Around 120,000, catalytic converter was to be replaced. Muffler also shakes and has been difficult to fix, but the fiance tries. :)

WORST CAR EVER
By not_happy2 on 09/01/12 12:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I;ve had this car for a few years and have had problems since day one. Breaks squeak, has no pick up, have had to replace the transmission at 80,000 miles, constant front end issues, always have a hard time passing state inspection, have an idle problem that I just cant get fixed because no mechanic can figure it out. I;ve put more money into in replacing sensor/valves trying to figure out the issue than I should have. Over all I cant remember when I didnt have some sort of problem with this car other than for a month or two. I HATE MY CAR! I HATE SATURNS!