Used 2002 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Saturn Fan - Own 3 SC's
By RPM

2002 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I own a 1995 SC2(180K Miles), a 2002 SC2(153K Miles) and a 2002 SC1(113K Miles). These are quite possibly the greatest economy cars ever built. These cars were so far ahead of their time, it's insane. Back when these cars came out in 1991, GM only had a piece of junk Iron Duke 2.5L 4-cylinder with throttle body injection in their other cars. Saturn was GM's answer to Honda and Toyota. The original Saturn(which were actually 100% Saturn and not made of other GM junk parts) SL's and SC's are just wonderful cars. They are easily the cheapest cars in the world to buy, maintain, drive and fuel. The only thing I have ever had to do to these cars is: You will have to replace a wheel bearing/hub assembly($35 on ebay) at around 135-150K and they will lose the plastic radiators at about 150K($50 on eBay). Other than that, they are 100% bulletproof reliable. All mine are 5-speeds. My 95 SC2 gets 35mpg on the highway. My 02 SC2 gets 36mpg on the highway and my 02 SC1 gets 40mpg on the highway. I highly recommend the 2001-02's for the updated styling and better, more rattle free interiors.

Reliable, has gotten me through a lot, but nothing spectacular
By okellies

2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used in 2005 with about 23,000 miles on it, after I had an accident with my Hyundai. I had sought advice, from a couple of people on what car to get, since I was in college and was living on my own thousands of miles away from my family. I was advised to check out Saturn. It is now over 10 years later and I have 117,000 miles on it. I've only broken down once with it and I believe it was something with the ignition, nothing costly. I have had issues with the A/C on multiple occasions, my fan had to be replaced a couple of times. I am currently in the market right now for a new car, since I would like to upgrade, but my Saturn has been reliable through the years.

Reliability and I really got a good bang for my buck.

Well, Saturn isn't around anymore, but the design on the car was nothing to brag about. The seats are not the most comfortable either. My husband, who is 6'3", had his knees against the dashboard when he sat in the passenger seat a couple of times.

I LOVE this car!!
By gmgirl33

2002 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 02 SC2 3 years ago and it only had 60,000 miles on it. I love the way it looks, sporty with an attitude, it definitely cannot be mistaken for any other vehicle from any angle, which is a huge plus in my book. I used my car for commuting over 500 miles a week for almost 2 years. I also am very hard on my cars, I have a bit of a lead foot. Now I use him to travel all over U.S. for my job, he now has over 133,000 miles on him but I do take care of him, with regular oil changes and tune ups. But this car has not cost me any more than that, I did put tires, but that's normal. My father, who owns a auto shop, told me to buy a Saturn. It was best choice I ever made!

Love the 3rd door, most people don't even know its there. My most favorite thing about the car though I have to say are the 6 drink holders in it!! AND they fit most size drinks too! I love that, and since the car is so small I can reach each of them, even in the back seat, comfortably. I like being able to fit in tight spots. I really just love this whole car. I want to buy another and have twins. Mine is black with gray interior and I don't see too many others like it. My German Shepherd even fits comfortably in the back when I travel.

HMMMMM........ the only thing I would like more would be maybe a little more cushioning in the seats, but I spend many hours and miles in this car and it still is more comfortable than most. A little more horsepower..... maybe, but the way it is now keeps me from getting in trouble and it still can get out of its own way.

My saturn could take me anywhere
By ryan3462

2002 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the car about a year ago with 170,000 miles on it, it now has 180,000. it has never gave me any engine problems and has never failed to start on me. These SL2s could last forever if you treat them right. I have no intention of selling it until it dies. If you're looking to buy one, I suggest you buy it!

Everything.

Nothing.

The little car that can!
By porcelainc

2002 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this back in 2004, with 23 thousand miles on it, just to get me by, thinking it was a piece of crap car. Here we are 10 years later! Little did I know this Saturn would be such a good friend, turn the key, and she goes, with all scheduled maintenance, beyond reliable, easy on gas. This is the 1st year I've had to put a good amount of money in repairs, but Maine roads are not forgiving on any car. 12 yrs old, with 109,000 miles, I'll see how far she wants to take me! I detailed it after this long winter, she's shining like a new penny, I'm in love all over again! Always been a fun little car to drive.

Automatic moon roof, doors, windows, locks, AC. Really cool little side door, was great when my daughter was a baby, very easy to get her in and out of.

Such a shame Saturn is no longer.