2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Excellent Car!
By fav on 06/09/08 14:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this car for a few years, put 40,00km on it. Has 78k altogether. Starts everyday no problem even in - 30C weather. Fast off the line but thats about it, only problems I've had is a gasket cracking but that's probably because of how I drive it. It gets amazing gas mileage if you drive it lightly. Sharp looking car in red which I have and also this paint stays shiny and doesn't scratch or chip easily. Great car for the price and I would recomend this car to anyone

Great Car!
By dspike572001 on 06/06/08 14:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I had this car for about two years now and i love it. It's a fun little car to drive, easy to handle. Its sporty and good looking, interior is good also. Great on gas, I get around 30mpg and it has 88k. Its fast acceleration and braking stops pretty good. It is very reliable and I think is a great overall car.

Good highway fuel economy
By Al on 05/23/08 10:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new and have over 148K miles. Kept detail records and the overall gas mileage is 34 MPG. Road mileage around 36 MPG at an average of 70MPH with A/C on. Max MPG is 42. Uses 1Qt of oil every 2K miles. Fun to drive, still has original battery. Heads have never been off. Upgraded tires to Michelin and this was a big improvement in handling. Major repair was the rear suspension. Sad that GM ruined a good small car.

Hate to see it go
By Errrz on 05/07/08 16:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Car had incredible gas mileage, at 70mph, averaged 39mpg. Decent power output compared to its competition. Amenities galore. Although their "no haggle pricing" seemed to change greatly when I walked off with a check and no car the first time.

total frustration
By golf3r on 04/25/08 21:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my SL1 used in '04 with about 42K on the clock. It now has only 68K as I only drive it to school and back, mainly as a city car. Where to start. Well plastic is everywhere. The door panels are polymer plastic, which is nice, except if you want every road noise to creep into the cabin (due to the wide spacing of the panels for heat expansion). The interior hurts, literally. I cut myself all the time, the plastic interior is hard and cheap, and the vinyl seats are uncomfortable and very poor quality. I have done countless repairs e.g. motor mounts, egr valve, etc. and the car burns oil and the check engine light is always on. the car drives and accelerates like a lawnmower.

Good Ridance to Saturn
By Regretful Satrn ownr on 02/25/08 19:00 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with 26,000 miles and have pretty much regreted it within the first year (several problems, including transmission failure just past warranty). Last chapter was written this week when engine went (rod) after 72,000 miles. My family and I have had numerous GM products over the years, but this is it....Japanese all the way now.

2001 SL 5sp Plastic Fantastic USA !!!
By duston22 on 12/29/07 10:19 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Car purchased used from dealer as lease trade in with 50k on odometer. To date, 4 years 55,000 miles later with 110k miles, have replaced front brakes, and original serpentine belt. Thats it. zero maintenance other than oil ..... Averaging 36 mpg in daily comute, all time 2-way Round trip mpg was 46 mpg in Southern Oregon trip of 800 miles. No oil consumption. Zero. Car is low to ground, tub like, hard to get in and out of. As an economy car, this has to be one of the best vehicles ever built anywhere. Check out the empty curb weight and compare it to ANY 2008 auto. 2351 lbs, with a drag coefficient of 0.295. The EPA estimate of 40 mpg is easily reachable if you stay under 60 mph.

Love it!
By Lil2u on 12/20/07 21:54 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I had my heart set on a Honda Civic until I found this car - and have been a very happy owner since. I've had only one minor repair apart from the sunroof (which I rarely use and when it broke for the second time I didn't bother to fix it) in 7 years. The paint still looks new and shiny despite the harsh desert sun and freezing mountain ice. I drive four miles of rough dirt road every day to work and back and the car is so tightly built there is almost no rattling, and it handles washboard very smoothly.

Great fuel Mileage
By David on 11/27/07 12:36 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for a few months now. I recently drove it to North Carolina and averaged over 50 mpg! it has 79,500 miles on it. it is a 5 speed. This car is great on gas, but kinda stinks for comfort on the long drives.

Nice car but hampsters under the hood
By Tim on 08/10/07 07:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought the SL1 to pull behind our motorhome, and it's great for that. You honestly don't know that light car is back there. We also use the car to ride back and forth to work because of the fuel economy. It's been a very reliable car with no reportable problems after 80,000 miles. My only complaint is the hampsters under the hood instead of horses. I'd trade a couple miles per gallon to get a little more power. The fastest the car has ever gone has been with the engine off getting a tow behind my motorhome. Sad but true.