Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

This is a good car
By m2a5r

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I bought after having my license a few years.. It drives great for having 132,000 miles on it when I purchased it. No storage area inside though, but rather large trunk. It gets about 22 mpg. Great car for young person to get from A to B.

Suggested Improvements

More interior Storage

A great little commuter car
By themrfreeze

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 18 months ago with only 44K miles on the odometer. For a daily driver to get me to/from work, it's hard to beat an S-series Saturn. Even in the middle of winter, with snow tires installed, in stop-and-go driving, it still returns 26 MPG. In the summer, closer to 30-31 in the city. Cars are durable, reliable, and cheap/easy to maintain. Only put a muffler on it and replaced one engine sensor since buying it. I'd buy these cars forever if I could.

Favorite Features

Dent resistant body panels, ease of maintenance, simple no-frills interior, smooth shifting manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Revive Saturn, kill GM, and start making these cars again. An updated version would sell like crazy!

2001 Saturn Sl
By Ben

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car over 3 years now and love it. Bought it with 96,000 on it and it now has 151,000 and runs great. Over the years I had minor issues, that usually come with owning a high mileage car. Belt, tires, tie rod, and a wheel bearing. For what I paid for the car and as long as I have had it. I give thanks to the builders for never having me stuck on the side of the road.

Favorite Features

5 speed stick

Best I've ever owned
By suednimh

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in Fall 2000, put 140K miles on in the next 3.5 years driving 140 miles a day, 40mpg. Oil changes every 3K miles. Nothing but tires and other routine maintainence in that time. At 9 years and 234K, I've replaced tires, alternator, 1 battery, brakes, struts, intake gasket. It still has the original exhaust even though a hanger broke years ago. Solid & durable for those who take care of their cars. Always starts even though it is always parked outside in WI winters. At my height 5'4" it has been perfect, but my 6'7" 300+lb husband, long trips are uncomfortable. Even now, I get 34 mpg city/hwy mixed. Replaced with a Subaru Forester, will miss my little friend.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage better than most new cars, starts every time, 5 spd manual is fun to drive, durability

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the pre-2004 Saturn at Spring Hill and the dedicated team that built them. RIP Saturn

Transmission
By Sonya

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I just read a review on high idle and transmission problems mine high idles and has trouble shifting auto to.. then my gear went out one by one and my uncle went and checked it out it had to do with the compouter signals I couldn't have saturn do it b/c same reason to much money and warranty up but thats weird the same thing happened to mine.. I'm calling saturn now..