2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews 4

2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
BASIC TRANSPORT
By John C on 04/23/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for A few reasons, I was looking for basic realiable transportation with good fuel economy and thats what I got with my Saturn sl. Being that it is A 5 speed manual brings the fun to drive up from A 5 to A 7 rating. threw the winter was averaging 32 mpg, but have gotten 37 mpg recently. over all am happy with this car.

Transmission problems
By BobP on 04/07/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

There are numerous complaints of transmission problems in Saturn vehicles but GM has not done anything so far. Just after the warranty expired my SL2 with only 25K on it started having trans issues. First it started shifting hard. Then the 4th gear gave out - the engine would rev up when it tried to shift up to the 4th. The dealer said nothing can be done, just replace transmission for $2500. I did that. Within a few months it started jerking violently whenever the gear shifted. This is a very poor quality product. I traded this in for an Outlook SE and I am having transmission problems with that as well. Will never buy a Saturn or any GM product ever.

No major problems
By Robert on 03/10/09 21:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

No major problems. Rather unremarkable. Car now has over 100,000 miles. Driving it at high altitude (5,000 - 11,000 feet). No problems with acceleration. Main problem is a rough ride and lots of vibration in stop and go traffic. Car seems like it is going to choke out when slowing or approaching a red light. Is starting to use oil. However, as stated, the car has over 100,000 mile and faces daily heavy driving on steep grades at high speeds. Been a low maintenance car and driven it loaded down cross country with high mileage. Car performs well at high speeds even with the high mileage.

Good for low price
By New Owner on 02/06/09 09:12 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because i want a cheap one. For 4000$ it is a realy good car. The only problem is the engine. If it is warm it is hard to start the car. I need four or five trials sometimes.

Excellent Quality for the Price
By Brandon on 12/09/08 22:27 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Satty for two years now and it has always been there for me. The car has enough get up and go for the city, stop and go traffic, and flat areas. I don't understand why people would buy an S-series in the mountains when you know you need more performance than a 1.9L car, get a V6 or something and cough up some more money! I am bewildered why anyone would bash such a reliable and decent car for its performance when it clearly is a econobox not meant to climb up and down mountains. For the commuter, this car is awesome, but for the people who "want to be cool" or go offroading, please stop hurting Saturn's feelings!

Love this car!
By Barbara on 12/09/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car 7 years and this summer had the first major repair, a new water pump. The exterior still looks new and shiney. We did have to have the motor replaced in the electric windows a couple of years ago. It is an extremely reliable car and we plan to keep it a couple more years!

Would sell it if i could
By saturnaintmyfav on 10/10/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car for 3500 thought it was a great car which it was for the first month till the misfires started changed all the plugs. Had a smooth 2100 mile drive to Arizona and it was getting 39mpg avg 75mph. Didn't have any problems for 6 months in Phoenix getting 32mpg city. 38mpg freeway. Was reliable on the way back to Wisconsin but the day after I got back the clutch went out and knocked a hole in the transmission somehow. Replaced all of that, now the engine (rods) are knocking. Most people I talked to say the transmission goes out even on automatics.

I love it!
By Missy on 09/25/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the greatest car that I have ever owned. It gets great gas mileage. 39 mpg. It is fast and sporty. I love the sunroof, does not leak. I replaced a motor mount at 100,000 miles but that is to be expected. Very cute I have the bright yellow one. Paint still looks new after 7 years. Love the 3rd door with the kids. Overall I say just a great car!

This is the best car ever!
By Katie on 09/20/08 12:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 4 years now and it has made it through large and deep puddles on flooded streets. It has handled wonderfully on snowy streets in Pennsylvannia. It had 41 MPG on a 1000 mile journey with a packed out back seat and trunk. Recently my husband and I were in a wreck. We were hit on the back right tire and did a 180. We did not feel a thing inside the vehicle and it handled beautifully. This is a great buy for anyone wanting a reliable and safe car.

Plain but Reliable
By Rob on 09/05/08 08:01 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought this car when I was in the 8th grade now I am a high school senior using this car. It has about 90K miles on it now. It is burgandy with the automatic transmission. I put 2 upgraded 150W speakers in the back for better sound quality however since it has the moulding in the back you cannot hear it that well, so it's better to invest the money to put them in the front first, then the back. The standard AM/FM/ CD Which mind is equipped with is OK. This car only has a SOHC 8 Valve 100HP engine so the performance is only OK. I drive it fast since I'm a teen and already screwed up the tranny which got fixed. It's a solid and reliable car with good fuel economy. Do not race it