Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

By hutch

2001 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

As our family has grown I am researching other cars. I have spent very little to maintain this car. Probably 1,000 or less and just crossed the 100k mark (not including the oil changes). I drove this off the lot and have taken good care of it.

Favorite Features

low maintenance cost, dealership was quick to honor the warranty.

Suggested Improvements

It is a loud and bumpy ride. Seems to have some transmission trouble, but nothing major. Long trips are a bit tight.

What a CRAPPY car
By Shitty car

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

What a HORRIBLE car. At least every 6 months it needed repairs. The check engine light was constantly on. Found out saturn put crappy oil rings in which causes it to burn oil. @ 130 miles I had to fill oil every 2000 miles or less! The ignition cylinder constantly gets stuck & you have to jiggle your keys/move steering wheel to get it unstuck. Constantly afraid I won't get my car to start! The interior stinks... cheap & even if you use back seat for groceries the foam padding falls apart! Not to mention the other miscellaneous things that fall apart Please save yourself the troubles--DON'T BUY!!

Favorite Features

gas mileage--only good thing

Great for travel & safety
By legitwhit

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This was my third car & second Saturn. In the past year I have driven over 30,000 miles on a modest budget & have been able to do so comfortably with the fuel efficiency and reliability of this car. In the five years I have owned the car I have had routine maintenance done on a regular basis & replaced the battery one time. The power locks were sticking just before I lost the car but no other major problems. I had a head-on accident that could have been very serious but I walked away without injury, which is without a doubt due partially to the superior safety standards of Saturn. I'll miss that car, & I'm struggling to find a replacement as safe, affordable, reliable & fuel efficient!

Favorite Features

fuel efficient, great gas mileage, safe, reliable

Suggested Improvements

If Saturn were still in business and able to improve on this car, my only suggestions would have been to make it more comfortable inside (I felt like I was sitting on the road & passengers had little extra room.) & have more stow-away space.

Love My Saturn
By Giggles

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our Saturn used with 49,000 miles as a rebuild. Drove it from Washington to Florida and back again one summer and it did great and all we had to do was change the oil. Generally speaking we get 30 to 40 miles per gallon. It's fun to drive.

Favorite Features

I like the third door, it makes putting things and children in the back seat a lot easier.

Suggested Improvements

It has the turning radius of a large truck which is weird for a little car. It's also so light that if you don't have good tread on your tires you will spin out in even wet pavement let alone snow or ice.

GM Junk (Saturn)
By lewis1029

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Auto Transmission failed at 53,000 miles. Also, an electronic control affecting the transmission also had to be replaced. Had constant problems with a fast idle which was finally fixed but not by dealer. Has the 100 hp engine and is underpowered. Have to be very careful when merging with traffic. Worst car buying decision I ever made!

Favorite Features

Gets good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Thank God Saturn is gone. "Government Motors" should follow!