2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
This is a good car
By m2a5r on 04/07/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I bought after having my license a few years.. It drives great for having 132,000 miles on it when I purchased it. No storage area inside though, but rather large trunk. It gets about 22 mpg. Great car for young person to get from A to B.

A great little commuter car
By themrfreeze on 04/02/10 11:59 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car 18 months ago with only 44K miles on the odometer. For a daily driver to get me to/from work, it's hard to beat an S-series Saturn. Even in the middle of winter, with snow tires installed, in stop-and-go driving, it still returns 26 MPG. In the summer, closer to 30-31 in the city. Cars are durable, reliable, and cheap/easy to maintain. Only put a muffler on it and replaced one engine sensor since buying it. I'd buy these cars forever if I could.

2001 Saturn Sl
By Ben on 02/21/10 17:52 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car over 3 years now and love it. Bought it with 96,000 on it and it now has 151,000 and runs great. Over the years I had minor issues, that usually come with owning a high mileage car. Belt, tires, tie rod, and a wheel bearing. For what I paid for the car and as long as I have had it. I give thanks to the builders for never having me stuck on the side of the road.

Best I've ever owned
By suednimh on 01/26/10 20:14 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car new in Fall 2000, put 140K miles on in the next 3.5 years driving 140 miles a day, 40mpg. Oil changes every 3K miles. Nothing but tires and other routine maintainence in that time. At 9 years and 234K, I've replaced tires, alternator, 1 battery, brakes, struts, intake gasket. It still has the original exhaust even though a hanger broke years ago. Solid & durable for those who take care of their cars. Always starts even though it is always parked outside in WI winters. At my height 5'4" it has been perfect, but my 6'7" 300+lb husband, long trips are uncomfortable. Even now, I get 34 mpg city/hwy mixed. Replaced with a Subaru Forester, will miss my little friend.

Transmission
By Sonya on 01/22/10 20:22 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I just read a review on high idle and transmission problems mine high idles and has trouble shifting auto to.. then my gear went out one by one and my uncle went and checked it out it had to do with the compouter signals I couldn't have saturn do it b/c same reason to much money and warranty up but thats weird the same thing happened to mine.. I'm calling saturn now..

Open Road Bargain
By fred on 01/18/10 11:54 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Original SL2 4-door owner. Odom 175,000 mi. Mostly interstate commu- ting /2 jobs. No car paym since 2004. On 3rd battery & tires. Clean oil always. Timing belt, 02 sensor,brakes (once), muffler, starter. So what? Driving basically for $zero. 5 speed manual/problem free. Will install re- manufactured 1.9DOHC to reach 300K mi. Saturn of USA, I miss you already.

200,000 miles and going strong
By Jason B. on 12/29/09 21:37 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new with 28 miles. I now have 212,000+! It's an economy car, so nothing fancy with the features. Replaced the usuals, but the front wheel bearings have needed replacing. The intake manifold gasket is next. Not bad for the high miles. It's a zippy car (4cyl, 5-speed manual), and the MPGs have paid for the car. Low resale, but not sure I'll sell before 300,000!

The best car EVER!!!
By Saturn lover on 08/05/09 09:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several smaller cars. This is by far the best. I bought it because my first car was an older model of the same vehicle. I was 16 and rode that car ragged and it still kept going. I have had this one for 3 years now. The only thing I have had to replace is the clutch on the a/c. I am not the most responsible car owner even though I am married to a mechanic. My car never disappoints me. I have a 2 year old and I never worry that we will be stranded anywhere. Unfortunately we are expanding our family so we have to move up to an SUV. If I could make this car larger I would never get rid of it. EXCELLENT gas mileage. I get gas about 3 times a month for $22 from empty.

This car is worth the money
By GabbyLovesSaturns on 06/14/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. I love how the inside/outside looks. This is my first car and I have been driving it for months and still no problems except a tiny oil leak that doesn't matter because it gets changed in more than enough time anyways. I'm 5'4 and fits my friends and I perfectly. Those who are taller complain of being squished though. I don't mind the small creaks it has because I'm too busy enjoying my great shiny car. GREAT sound system and is perfect for my commutes to college. The mpg it gets is awesome as well. Love the sunroof, when I open it during the winter it helps heat my car up before I even get in with the suns help.Overall great car. Will run forever. Got this car at 79K

Don't buy this car!!!!!
By Rachel on 06/09/09 17:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car two years ago and have had nothing but problems. First to go was the water pump, five months later i had to replace the engine as well as $800 worth of other repairs. got the 12k miles, 12 month warranty on engine and 9k miles and 9 months later, gas intake gasket went out. saturn wouldn't honor the warranty and finally agreed to pay half which still left me putting another $270 into it. Now, one month later they tell me my transmission is leaking and i need a new one. i am getting another car before i have to put any more into this worthless car. I hate it!!!