2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Best Car I've EVER Owned!
By krose3622 on 02/05/11 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, with a little over 100K, for $2500 (a steal). It has been a life saver of a vehicle... we own an old Chevy pickup (1980's), a 1995 blazer, and a 2000 Pontiac Montana and this Saturn has outlived them all. All of our other vehicles have been in and out of the shop for numerous thins (transmission, blown radiator, bad head gasket) and the Saturn has always been our primary vehicle, never letting us down. It now has over 152K and has needed nothing besides routine maintenance and brakes. Reliable, GREAT gas milage, handles well in all weather conditions. My boyfriend is 6'2" and drives it to and from work daily. Seats are a uncomfortable though for long trips.

Piece Of Crap
By MylesRodgers on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Do not buy this car. These cars are crap. I've had 2 Saturns so far, and I will NEVER buy another one. They ride like crap, sound like crap, and are as slow as crap. They look cool though.

Love my little car!
By Shannon on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car just goes and goes. I have been lax on maintenance and still have had NO major or even minor problems to speak of. I cannot say enough about my car! It is not a car for everyone - it does not fit large or tall people comfortably. Obviously it is a small car that doesn't haul a lot of stuff. But I have used it as our primary family vehicle, hauling baby gear and a car seat, and it does great.

Best little car I ever owned
By Saturn Mourner on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in November of 2000. No frills, wouldn't be comfortable for a big guy (I am 5'8), but I could not have been happier with a small car. For seven full years the car was entirely problem free, regular maintenance was only expenditure. In the last couple of years I have changed a transmission sensor, the radiator fan, and done brake jobs and a new battery and tires - but it keeps on ticking. The car is driven in Chicago, gets good mileage, is fun to drive on road trips. I really am bummed about the death of Saturn. The concept made car ownership easy, and the vehicle has been a great little pal. I would get another of these in a flash, but alas, no more. Yeah, RIP Saturn.

By hutch on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

As our family has grown I am researching other cars. I have spent very little to maintain this car. Probably 1,000 or less and just crossed the 100k mark (not including the oil changes). I drove this off the lot and have taken good care of it.

What a CRAPPY car
By Shitty car on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

What a HORRIBLE car. At least every 6 months it needed repairs. The check engine light was constantly on. Found out saturn put crappy oil rings in which causes it to burn oil. @ 130 miles I had to fill oil every 2000 miles or less! The ignition cylinder constantly gets stuck & you have to jiggle your keys/move steering wheel to get it unstuck. Constantly afraid I won't get my car to start! The interior stinks... cheap & even if you use back seat for groceries the foam padding falls apart! Not to mention the other miscellaneous things that fall apart Please save yourself the troubles--DON'T BUY!!

Great for travel & safety
By legitwhit on 08/27/10 09:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This was my third car & second Saturn. In the past year I have driven over 30,000 miles on a modest budget & have been able to do so comfortably with the fuel efficiency and reliability of this car. In the five years I have owned the car I have had routine maintenance done on a regular basis & replaced the battery one time. The power locks were sticking just before I lost the car but no other major problems. I had a head-on accident that could have been very serious but I walked away without injury, which is without a doubt due partially to the superior safety standards of Saturn. I'll miss that car, & I'm struggling to find a replacement as safe, affordable, reliable & fuel efficient!

Love My Saturn
By Giggles on 07/20/10 19:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our Saturn used with 49,000 miles as a rebuild. Drove it from Washington to Florida and back again one summer and it did great and all we had to do was change the oil. Generally speaking we get 30 to 40 miles per gallon. It's fun to drive.

GM Junk (Saturn)
By lewis1029 on 04/09/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Auto Transmission failed at 53,000 miles. Also, an electronic control affecting the transmission also had to be replaced. Had constant problems with a fast idle which was finally fixed but not by dealer. Has the 100 hp engine and is underpowered. Have to be very careful when merging with traffic. Worst car buying decision I ever made!

This is a good car
By m2a5r on 04/07/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first car I bought after having my license a few years.. It drives great for having 132,000 miles on it when I purchased it. No storage area inside though, but rather large trunk. It gets about 22 mpg. Great car for young person to get from A to B.