Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Don't want to sell it :(
By clone63

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I am only selling my car because I need a large vehicle for work and it is not economical to keep both. Bought it at 140Km, drove it for 5 years until 250Km, in that time it needed: Flex pipe, starter, washer fluid pump, and PCV valve. Pretty good! Everything still works, was quite abused when I took it, still driving well. Probably needs brakes and tire rod ends. Not exactly a thrilling ride, but VERY economical (beats most sedan's MPG) and easy to drive. Also burned oil since day one, but no problems!

Favorite Features

Plastic body is great, still looks brand new. MPG is great (24/36). More room than other commuters. The whole car! Want to keep it, haha.

Suggested Improvements

Not a very attractive design. Interior compartments could have been more useful. Junky CD player. Why do they seem to burn oil?

First car, and only car for a LONG time.
By eekochy

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I recieved my little 2001 SC2 as a birthday present nearly two years ago now. The only problems I've ever had have been the result of the first owner. For example, I just got my car out of the shop because it had been cutting out on the road. While this scared me to death, it turned out that the battery and the cables were both as old as the car (11!) and had never been replaced. Now that these parts have been replaced, it's running like a charm and I couldn't ask for better. Honestly, as with any car, the SC2 will last as long as you're willing to take care of it. My father has gone through 4 Jeeps during the life of my little car, so if the SC2 isn't a hardy car I don't know what is!

Favorite Features

- the bucket seats - the large dashboard and windshield - size of car (can easily maneuver around larger vehicles in tight traffic) - size allows for easy cleaning and access - SUPERB sound system. Haven't heard better in a vehicle. - "bullet" design of car: provides great aerodynamics. - great gas mileage (usually gets 30mpg or higher, although I fuel up with 89) - climate control is responsive and immediate: virtually no delay, A/Cis crisp. - with mirrors adjutd properly, driver has NO blind spots. Great visibility. - sunroof :) - third door! (how could I forget?) makes it SO easy to access the rear, my sister can easily get in the back and the "hidden" door makes the SC2 very unique.

Suggested Improvements

If anything, the brakes in my car leave something to be desired. This problem is probably unique to me, but my brakes often make funny noises while decelerating (the brakes themselves work perfectly though).

Good little car
By dab1983

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in 2008 with 105k miles after my 94 SL2 finally died at 204k. 3 years later, it now has 168k miles and is still running strong. The only issues I've had other than routine maintenance is a bad oxygen sensor that made my car run rough ($70 fix), a passenger power window went out ($100 fix), and an A/C leak ($125 fix). Other than that, it runs like the day I bought it. Exterior still looks new with no scratches or dings thanks to those dent resistant panels and I take very good care of the interior so it still looks good as well. I see a lot of people bashing Saturn on here, but I have owned two Saturns and they both served me well.

Favorite Features

Exterior still looks new (dent resistant panels) Good on gas Reliable Excellent factory sound system Low Cost of Ownership

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more power Plasticky interior

Don't want to get rid of it
By alynn01

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my SC2 for over 4 years now and love it. It has 230k miles on it now and the only things I've had to replace other than breaks and other routine maitenance is the transmission which was the shops fault (transmission flush and didn't put fluid back in) but that wasn't even until 209k and I just recently had to put a new starter in it. When the engine blows I will be putting a Ion redline engine in it though.

Favorite Features

I love having 6 different cup holders. Makes picking up food for my whole family a little bit easier. The third door though is super conveniant and everyone that sees it is taken back by it.

Suggested Improvements

I drive back and forth almost everyone weekend from northwestern Ohio to Flint, Michigan and the seats are just uncomfortable to sit in for long drives.

Love and Hate
By waffle413

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

It was the first car I ever owned, and i loved it... until problems started stacking up on it. the front right knuckle gave out on me first, then the engine and trans followed. It didn't help with the costs any that Saturn parts are hard to find. The interior is a bit odd and there really is no room to put people in the back seat. The whole layout of the car is strange, it is awkward and cramped. I always told people that it is a great car, when it works properly though. Either way, it was my first car and i loved it but it just leeched money from me every chance it got.