2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Reliable Saturn SL
By bhwalds on 08/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car about 100 miles/day, Mon - Fri. Very reliable, no problems at all. Gas mileage to close to 40 miles per gallon. Only complaint has been the high noise in the cabin.

My Saturn Experience
By Mountain on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I've been very happy with my Saturn - I got the base model with my essentiual options, CD player and A/C. It took my family of five from Vermont to Florida and back in relative comfort, considering its size - the mileage was execellent, exceeding 40 mpg. My Saturn was rear-ended by a much larger Xterra and I was unhurt, though the rear end had to be replaced (they had to tow the Xterra away, I drove my car to the body shop).

Disappointed with Saturn
By mcdlt2003 on 06/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a 1993 SC2 for seven years and was very happy with it so decided to trade-in for a re-sesigned 2001 SC2 (having gotten a great trade-value on my previous Saturn). Well, so far, the rotors have warped, I've needed new struts and engine mount and now the dealership is telling me I need a new rack & pinion steering column at the tune of almost $1,200 - yikes! Also, terrible resale value!!!

Not bad
By mattwood440 on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new. Problem areas: Ignition key hard to turn (TSB out for it), front brakes started vibrating at about 10,000, pinging noise from catalytic converter while running, rear alignment out of spec around 5,0000, serp belt chirping at 28,000, some rattling from area where both left doors meet but not bad, rear spoiler fits poorly, front facia fits poorly. Overall not bad

Class of its own
By Dlw115 on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is just outstanding. It is in a class of its own

nice car but....
By njguy on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

It was a nice car and all. Just that the blamed thing hated hills, merging, or anything that had to do with hard acceleration. Horrible build quality and most uncomfortable car for long distances and anyone over 5'7". Very safe car though. Friend rolled hers and walked away. Bad things: Wicked uncomfortable to drive for longer than 20 minutes. small brake pedal, built for small ppl, creaks and groans coming from everywhere, big control sticks DONT BUY IF YOU LIVE ON ANY TYPE OF HILL OR DRIVE ON AN EXPRESSWAY!!!

more than pleased
By gdannehl on 04/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this instead of more expensive Civic or Accords, also looked at offerings from Kia Hyudai. While overall quality was slightly under that of the Honda, it was about $5000 dollars less, and gets better mileage. Car feels more substantial than Korean cars which were priced similarly. Recomend the 5 speed trans for this as well as all other 4 cyl models as engines don't develop enough torque to make auto trans work right. Go for the SL2 over SL1 as DOHC engine performs way better with about the same mileage. All in all I can say I am happy with the purchase.

get something else
By Kevin H. on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I leased my saturn brand new in the begging of 2001. Since i bought the car it has always pulled to the left even after getting it "fixed" buy saturn. I have had it in there shop 3 times because of the brake rotors were being warped. (im very easy on the brakes i even downsift) every time they fix it and a week later they are messed up again. I was going up hill in 3rd gear when the clutch broke. Yeah it Broke!!! they fixed that. then the Transmision went out soon after that. and they would not warenty that even though i only had 12,000 miles on it. so i had to fix it. then it broke 2 more times in all. Just dont get this car.

A Good Car
By lamontagne42 on 04/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I like a car a lot but, If you are 6'- 0" or taller you are not going to enjoy driving the car for any extended period of time. It is definately for shorter people.

A Fun Car to Drive
By gwydionoak on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car new in 9/00 and am thoroughly enjoying it. It has decent pickup (5-speed manual is actually better than the automatic), and is very fuel-efficient. The interior is reasonably comfortable, although I'm not sure I'd want to drive from NY to CA in it. All in all, it's a fun car to drive, however it is NOT a family car.