2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Been a good car so far...
By r-gator on 12/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I ordered my car from the factory and have had little problems with it overtly. I had the sunroof replaced shortly before my warranty ran out at 30k. At the same time they found that the motor mount had cracked and the exhaust manifold also had a crack in it. All were replaced under warranty. The car is noisy at high speeds but I don't usually hear the noise because the stereo is up fairly loud. It's fun to drive and as of this writing have had no drive train problems. The brakes were also recently checked with no warping of rotors mentioned in other articles. All in all a good car with a few minor issues.

Awesome car
By Josh is the man on 12/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle used, and have had nothing but fun in it! No problems at all.

my Inexpensive sport car
By curtis yeargins on 11/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

hey guys heres a car that dosn't cost much fun to drive and looks good from day one I expected the unexpected but to my suprize I'm still impressed at the way i can move in and out of traffic quite comfortablely with no problem and parkings another thing I live in a big city that has the usual bumper to bumper traffic every morning and having downsized to a smaller car has been a blessing exspeacialy with the price of gas these days nothing but positive things have happened since i brought my self a saturn.

My Saturn Experience
By jrzeetony on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

My Saturn has been less than reliable. Within the the first year, the sunroof motor burned-out twice and the cables were replaced three times. Also within that time, the power window switch had to be replaced. RPMs fluctuate from engine revving to near-stall and the problem cannot be determine. I do not recommend a Saturn.

Fair at Best
By flybobfl on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I drive this car 110 miles of high- speed road twice a week and about 50 miles a week in town. Gas mileage average is 29 mpg. First Saturn was a 1995 SL2 identical to this one. Sold it with 80,000 miles and only replaced an alternator at 70,000 miles. The 1995 was an excellent trouble free car. Can't say the same for this one. Replaced heat shield at 25,000 miles,tires at 24,000 due to the noise under the car at highway speeds, brakes squeak, shoulder harness squeaks, idles at 1800 rpm (dealer said this is normal)? Depreciation on this car is awful, probably due to poor quality control. Will not own Saturn #3.

get what you pay for
By wombatmatty on 11/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Talk about build quality problems! I've never heard a car rattle so much in my entire life, and it's only at 16k! It's had constant problems with water leaks, the trunk ajar light staying on, the trunk opening itself and the transmission failing. An older woman drives this car, so it's not like it's being abused. But the build quality is horrible. Maybe if Saturn service was a little more on par, some of these problems could be fixed. Sales is good for Saturn, service is poor.

Saturn
By koonce on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Overall car is very reliable,only spark plugs changed,new brakes and tires other than that great reliable car,performance is good for a car of this size,great sound system for being stock,would recomend for those looking for a good reliable used vehicle since this model is no longer offered.

Do not buy.
By Tommy Ramone on 10/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my yellow 2001 SC2 since June 2000 and have 65000 miles on it. The rotors have warped at 10k, the transmission gave me problems going into reverse. Try parking without reverse! The cooling sys needed repair, the serp belt churps, the steering wheel squeeks when I turn, and it makes all kinds of noise on the highway. It is slow off the line. The auto transmission just is not right for the car. The headlights had to be replased because they filled with moisture. It failed the New York emmissions (nox) inspection last month. The third door is a waste if your parked between two cars in a lot.

GREAT little car
By R Moore on 09/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new, put 25,000 mi per yr. Just turned 80,000 last week, at which point I had to get an engine mount replaced, but that's the only problem I've had. I get 41-44 mpg on the hwy, and 34 in the city with the A/C on. It's simply a great little car, and I have had no problems on hills, in rain, snow, or ice.

I'm Stuck With It!
By kdibello on 08/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been generally reliable. Unfortunately, the rotors became badly warped after about 10,000 mi and had to be resurfaced. From the day drove the car off the dealer lot, the steering wheel vibrates at highway speeds. In an attempt to solve the problem I've had the original tires balanced several times to no avail. I finally resorted to replacing the tires with another brand. The problem still exists. The car rattles, sqeeks and clonks when driven making for an upleasant driving experience. Unfortunately, the trade in is so low I can't afford to replace the car! This is my second and final Saturn!