Used 2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Our Best Car EVER!!!
By Jamie

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased our 2001 Saturn SC1 in 2003 with 36K miles on it; it has since been reliable for an additional 220K+ miles with only minor repairs needed. Beyond brakes, tires, oil changes, and tune ups we have spent less than $500 on repairs over the course of 12 years. It's also great on gas (manual).

Update: Car is still going strong with only minor repairs needed!

Be Wary Of This Car
By z_1_s

I'm a 20 year old college student and my dad
bought me a Saturn SC2 (automatic) with 140,000 miles as my first car when I got my license at 18, about 2.5 years ago. My dad drives a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (manual). Let me tell you, his truck has 220,000 miles on it and has NEVER broken down on him in 4 years. In 2.5 years my car has broken down on me more times than I can count on two hands. I'm getting tired of staring at the back of his truck while he tows me back to the house, sometimes 100+ miles away from home. I have maintained this car meticulously, and faithfully gotten every repair ever needed and it STILL breaks down. Every month it's a $500 repair. Get a Toyota, I'll be.

Never again
By indihippi

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare for my husband and I. At 70k miles, the ENGINE blew. We replaced the engine because it was cheaper than buying a new car, but there are just too many problems. Too much road noise, it shakes, the radio went out. We have to change the oil so often, it's crazy. The acceleration, especially on inclines, is terrible. Due to a flood, we will be getting rid of this car. We will never buy another Saturn.

First car, and only car for a LONG time.
By eekochy

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I recieved my little 2001 SC2 as a birthday present nearly two years ago now. The only problems I've ever had have been the result of the first owner. For example, I just got my car out of the shop because it had been cutting out on the road. While this scared me to death, it turned out that the battery and the cables were both as old as the car (11!) and had never been replaced. Now that these parts have been replaced, it's running like a charm and I couldn't ask for better. Honestly, as with any car, the SC2 will last as long as you're willing to take care of it. My father has gone through 4 Jeeps during the life of my little car, so if the SC2 isn't a hardy car I don't know what is!

- the bucket seats - the large dashboard and windshield - size of car (can easily maneuver around larger vehicles in tight traffic) - size allows for easy cleaning and access - SUPERB sound system. Haven't heard better in a vehicle. - "bullet" design of car: provides great aerodynamics. - great gas mileage (usually gets 30mpg or higher, although I fuel up with 89) - climate control is responsive and immediate: virtually no delay, A/Cis crisp. - with mirrors adjutd properly, driver has NO blind spots. Great visibility. - sunroof :) - third door! (how could I forget?) makes it SO easy to access the rear, my sister can easily get in the back and the "hidden" door makes the SC2 very unique.

If anything, the brakes in my car leave something to be desired. This problem is probably unique to me, but my brakes often make funny noises while decelerating (the brakes themselves work perfectly though).

Don't want to get rid of it
By alynn01

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my SC2 for over 4 years now and love it. It has 230k miles on it now and the only things I've had to replace other than breaks and other routine maitenance is the transmission which was the shops fault (transmission flush and didn't put fluid back in) but that wasn't even until 209k and I just recently had to put a new starter in it. When the engine blows I will be putting a Ion redline engine in it though.

I love having 6 different cup holders. Makes picking up food for my whole family a little bit easier. The third door though is super conveniant and everyone that sees it is taken back by it.

I drive back and forth almost everyone weekend from northwestern Ohio to Flint, Michigan and the seats are just uncomfortable to sit in for long drives.