2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Be Wary Of This Car
By z_1_s on 07/29/14 05:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a 20 year old college student and my dad bought me a Saturn SC2 (automatic) with 140,000 miles as my first car when I got my license at 18, about 2.5 years ago. My dad drives a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (manual). Let me tell you, his truck has 220,000 miles on it and has NEVER broken down on him in 4 years. In 2.5 years my car has broken down on me more times than I can count on two hands. I'm getting tired of staring at the back of his truck while he tows me back to the house, sometimes 100+ miles away from home. I have maintained this car meticulously, and faithfully gotten every repair ever needed and it STILL breaks down. Every month it's a $500 repair. Get a Toyota, I'll be.

Never again
By indihippi on 04/23/13 13:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare for my husband and I. At 70k miles, the ENGINE blew. We replaced the engine because it was cheaper than buying a new car, but there are just too many problems. Too much road noise, it shakes, the radio went out. We have to change the oil so often, it's crazy. The acceleration, especially on inclines, is terrible. Due to a flood, we will be getting rid of this car. We will never buy another Saturn.

First car, and only car for a LONG time.
By eekochy on 04/19/12 05:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I recieved my little 2001 SC2 as a birthday present nearly two years ago now. The only problems I've ever had have been the result of the first owner. For example, I just got my car out of the shop because it had been cutting out on the road. While this scared me to death, it turned out that the battery and the cables were both as old as the car (11!) and had never been replaced. Now that these parts have been replaced, it's running like a charm and I couldn't ask for better. Honestly, as with any car, the SC2 will last as long as you're willing to take care of it. My father has gone through 4 Jeeps during the life of my little car, so if the SC2 isn't a hardy car I don't know what is!

Don't want to get rid of it
By alynn01 on 09/19/11 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my SC2 for over 4 years now and love it. It has 230k miles on it now and the only things I've had to replace other than breaks and other routine maitenance is the transmission which was the shops fault (transmission flush and didn't put fluid back in) but that wasn't even until 209k and I just recently had to put a new starter in it. When the engine blows I will be putting a Ion redline engine in it though.

Love and Hate
By waffle413 on 09/01/11 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

It was the first car I ever owned, and i loved it... until problems started stacking up on it. the front right knuckle gave out on me first, then the engine and trans followed. It didn't help with the costs any that Saturn parts are hard to find. The interior is a bit odd and there really is no room to put people in the back seat. The whole layout of the car is strange, it is awkward and cramped. I always told people that it is a great car, when it works properly though. Either way, it was my first car and i loved it but it just leeched money from me every chance it got.

Best Car I've EVER Owned!
By krose3622 on 02/05/11 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, with a little over 100K, for $2500 (a steal). It has been a life saver of a vehicle... we own an old Chevy pickup (1980's), a 1995 blazer, and a 2000 Pontiac Montana and this Saturn has outlived them all. All of our other vehicles have been in and out of the shop for numerous thins (transmission, blown radiator, bad head gasket) and the Saturn has always been our primary vehicle, never letting us down. It now has over 152K and has needed nothing besides routine maintenance and brakes. Reliable, GREAT gas milage, handles well in all weather conditions. My boyfriend is 6'2" and drives it to and from work daily. Seats are a uncomfortable though for long trips.

Piece Of Crap
By MylesRodgers on 11/01/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Do not buy this car. These cars are crap. I've had 2 Saturns so far, and I will NEVER buy another one. They ride like crap, sound like crap, and are as slow as crap. They look cool though.

Love my little car!
By Shannon on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car just goes and goes. I have been lax on maintenance and still have had NO major or even minor problems to speak of. I cannot say enough about my car! It is not a car for everyone - it does not fit large or tall people comfortably. Obviously it is a small car that doesn't haul a lot of stuff. But I have used it as our primary family vehicle, hauling baby gear and a car seat, and it does great.

What a CRAPPY car
By Shitty car on 09/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

What a HORRIBLE car. At least every 6 months it needed repairs. The check engine light was constantly on. Found out saturn put crappy oil rings in which causes it to burn oil. @ 130 miles I had to fill oil every 2000 miles or less! The ignition cylinder constantly gets stuck & you have to jiggle your keys/move steering wheel to get it unstuck. Constantly afraid I won't get my car to start! The interior stinks... cheap & even if you use back seat for groceries the foam padding falls apart! Not to mention the other miscellaneous things that fall apart Please save yourself the troubles--DON'T BUY!!

Love My Saturn
By Giggles on 07/20/10 19:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought our Saturn used with 49,000 miles as a rebuild. Drove it from Washington to Florida and back again one summer and it did great and all we had to do was change the oil. Generally speaking we get 30 to 40 miles per gallon. It's fun to drive.