2001 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Be Wary Of This Car
By z_1_s on 07/29/14 05:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I'm a 20 year old college student and my dad bought me a Saturn SC2 (automatic) with 140,000 miles as my first car when I got my license at 18, about 2.5 years ago. My dad drives a 2001 Toyota Tacoma pickup truck (manual). Let me tell you, his truck has 220,000 miles on it and has NEVER broken down on him in 4 years. In 2.5 years my car has broken down on me more times than I can count on two hands. I'm getting tired of staring at the back of his truck while he tows me back to the house, sometimes 100+ miles away from home. I have maintained this car meticulously, and faithfully gotten every repair ever needed and it STILL breaks down. Every month it's a $500 repair. Get a Toyota, I'll be.

Enjoyed it!
By eraymond2 on 02/07/14 08:45 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This was my first car with 96,000 miles on it when I bought it for $3,000. I had for over three years without a single problem. Driving around New England was fun to do, but it would always cost me $50 or so to fuel up.

The best car if you're looking for a relibale one!
By jpnrmr on 01/22/14 11:43 AM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

My first car- got my 2001 Saturn when I turned 16. A hand-me-down, almost 8 yrs old w/ 130k at the time. The car is not fast, a little loud & is incredibly basic- BUT my family has gone through many cars over the years and this one is still kicking with over 180k & very minimal needed work (sister drives it now). I have only needed it fixed 2 or 3 times, ever (aside from regular maintenance). I had it until 2012 & my friends used to joke about how I had the same crappy old saturn from high school. Nothing crappy about having an old car that runs awesome, has awesome fuel economy & still looks decent! Awesome car- don't pass it up if you're looking for a reliable, efficient car!

Never again
By indihippi on 04/23/13 13:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been nothing but a nightmare for my husband and I. At 70k miles, the ENGINE blew. We replaced the engine because it was cheaper than buying a new car, but there are just too many problems. Too much road noise, it shakes, the radio went out. We have to change the oil so often, it's crazy. The acceleration, especially on inclines, is terrible. Due to a flood, we will be getting rid of this car. We will never buy another Saturn.

best car i have ever driven
By saturnsl on 11/21/12 17:49 PM (PST)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car for 800 dollars about five years ago and the only thing that has gone out is the alternator. i dont keep up with maintenance i hate to admit but it keeps on chugging along. i have had dodges before this but they never lasted as long as this thing. my girlfriend has a maxima and it has a problem a week ,. so this car by far is more reliable than most. and the fact that i see them everywhere in town more often than other old cars should really tell you something

Don't want to sell it :(
By clone63 on 11/03/12 16:02 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I am only selling my car because I need a large vehicle for work and it is not economical to keep both. Bought it at 140Km, drove it for 5 years until 250Km, in that time it needed: Flex pipe, starter, washer fluid pump, and PCV valve. Pretty good! Everything still works, was quite abused when I took it, still driving well. Probably needs brakes and tire rod ends. Not exactly a thrilling ride, but VERY economical (beats most sedan's MPG) and easy to drive. Also burned oil since day one, but no problems!

First car, and only car for a LONG time.
By eekochy on 04/19/12 05:10 AM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I recieved my little 2001 SC2 as a birthday present nearly two years ago now. The only problems I've ever had have been the result of the first owner. For example, I just got my car out of the shop because it had been cutting out on the road. While this scared me to death, it turned out that the battery and the cables were both as old as the car (11!) and had never been replaced. Now that these parts have been replaced, it's running like a charm and I couldn't ask for better. Honestly, as with any car, the SC2 will last as long as you're willing to take care of it. My father has gone through 4 Jeeps during the life of my little car, so if the SC2 isn't a hardy car I don't know what is!

Good little car
By dab1983 on 09/23/11 19:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car used in 2008 with 105k miles after my 94 SL2 finally died at 204k. 3 years later, it now has 168k miles and is still running strong. The only issues I've had other than routine maintenance is a bad oxygen sensor that made my car run rough ($70 fix), a passenger power window went out ($100 fix), and an A/C leak ($125 fix). Other than that, it runs like the day I bought it. Exterior still looks new with no scratches or dings thanks to those dent resistant panels and I take very good care of the interior so it still looks good as well. I see a lot of people bashing Saturn on here, but I have owned two Saturns and they both served me well.

Don't want to get rid of it
By alynn01 on 09/19/11 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my SC2 for over 4 years now and love it. It has 230k miles on it now and the only things I've had to replace other than breaks and other routine maitenance is the transmission which was the shops fault (transmission flush and didn't put fluid back in) but that wasn't even until 209k and I just recently had to put a new starter in it. When the engine blows I will be putting a Ion redline engine in it though.

Love and Hate
By waffle413 on 09/01/11 15:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe (1.9L 4cyl 5M)

It was the first car I ever owned, and i loved it... until problems started stacking up on it. the front right knuckle gave out on me first, then the engine and trans followed. It didn't help with the costs any that Saturn parts are hard to find. The interior is a bit odd and there really is no room to put people in the back seat. The whole layout of the car is strange, it is awkward and cramped. I always told people that it is a great car, when it works properly though. Either way, it was my first car and i loved it but it just leeched money from me every chance it got.