2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
love it but needs more power
By saturn driver on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

The saturn coupe has exciting design. Although many dislike the interior, I love its simplicity and simple design. But the SC1 definately needs more power, but the ride is quite and comfortable.

Other Companies Do It Better
By aschierberg on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I bought my SC1 new in 2000 because the insurance was low for a 19 year old male. I had been looking at a Mazda Protege or a Nissan Sentra and I am still torn over my decision. My Saturn has been completely reliable. I have had only few and minor mechanical problems, but the overall build quality of the car is low. The interior parts don't quite fit together right. The vinyl on the side of my seat is cracking, and now I have two lights inside of the dash that have gone out. Additionally, I have a 5 speed and the shifting is very strange. People who drive other 5 speeds have trouble driving the Saturn. I would think twice before buying another Saturn.

Pretty good car
By shel on 11/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is my first leased vehicle and am pretty happy with it. It is not a sports car even though I try to drive it like one. I would never buy a 4 cyl engine but the SL2 has more power than a reg 4 cyl due to the dual overhead cams. The car has been pretty reliable. It has been in the shop to replace ignition switch and an auto window controller switch. Does great in all weather conditions.

Perfect car!
By Pittsburgher on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have owned it for 2-1/2 years. I have had ZERO problems with it. It is a 5-speed manual transmission and I get 38 mpg steady highway driving, and 35 mpg mixed highway/city driving. The car is solid, and I am still on the original tires and brakes at 35,000 miles. I haven't spent a penney on this car. The AM/FM/CD player sounds great, too. I highly recommend it to everyone as a great second car.

My SL1's
By SFW on 10/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

The 2000 SL1 is my third Saturn and I've not had one problem so far (knock on wood). I'm planning to purchase the new ION at the end of the year and hope that it performs as reliably as the SL1's have.

By mach2flyer on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I have owned two Saturn SL series vehicles. The current one I have is a Loaded SL2 Sedan. I purched the SL2 because of my need for reliable transportation that is inexpensive to maintain. I put over 200,000 miles on my first SL2 from 1996 to 2000 and only performed the periodic preventative maintenance. My current SL2 had provided the same excellent service as the first. Also after renting a variety of cars during travel - Never a Saturn - I was never comfortble in any of the small cars that the company authorized. When I drove the saturn on long trips I was very confortable.

ted's review
By Ted Kreis on 06/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for two an a half years, and have not had it back to the dealer once for any problems. The only imperfection I have had was the headlights needed alignment, otherwise perfect. Handles and rides very well, back seat not too roomy, especially with more than one occupant. Engine slightly under-powered, but very reliable.

Proven to Be a Road Trip Winner
By Siberia88 on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

Took a 3600 mile trip out west - didn't miss a beat - 37+ mpg. Had to use 2nd gear in Utah & NMexico at times. That's to be expected. I had dark tint put on windows - don't want to get sunburn in slow rush hour. Soundproofing of gas tank bad - thumps like water in jug. Sounds only for seconds when engine shut off and below 3/4 tank full. Low front end - park up to curbs w/care.

Rattle and Hum
By rattleandhum on 06/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn SL-1 in May of 2000 and have some problems with it since. The major problems come from the wind noise, and the front right and left struts. When turning it rattles to no end and when going 60mph, I feel like the windows are open. Although the dealership and service are good. For some reason they cannot fix the problem. Apparently some of the VUE's are having the same problem. OEM problem?? Who knows. I will more than likely not buy another Saturn in my lifetime. Nothing great about the car.

Tricked Out SC1
By JC Liberatore on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I recently got a 2000 SC1 for graduation. I did alot of after market specs to it. I currently have a Injen IS4000 intake,OBX B-3 Exhaust, Strut and Sway Bars,Header,Cams,Perilli tires with Konig 18's in it. I love my car. I recently was invitied into the Superstreet Car Show and was given best show and engine for domestic.