Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

2000 Saturn SL2
By coolbic

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I would sum this car up to OK. It has good economy (37MPG highway) but tends to lack the goods inside. Lots of road noise even with new tires, arm rest breaks, rattles, no seat comfort, long trips can wear on the back and bum, and I guess I could go on for days. The running gear has caused a lot of problems for me. Car had 50K when purchased and the fuel pump failed (leaving me stranded) and lots of little things were broke. Catalytic convertor had to be replaced from the motor burning oil. The oil burning is out of control and is getting worse. At this point all of the suspension system has been replaced. Some maintenance is expected, but this all was before 110K.

Acceptable acceleration. Fuel economy. Gauge layout

Better interior materials

Saturn: Out Of This World
By Jay Cool

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

It needs more power. Clutch feel is a little too sloppy, and it takes about 12-20 miles of driving to warm it up enough to get it shifting smooth. I also have a head gasket leak so it's dumping coolant in the engine and burning it off, and I have to dump a quart of oil in about every 1000 miles. Other than that, and the easy to crack plastic, the vibrating and crackling speakers, and the too small interior for me, it's OK. If you're looking for a cheap car it's fine.

30 mpg

More power, more room, better reliability, better build quality.

Great Car
By ED

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Never had problem with it. Very fuel efficient. I've put over 40k miles and stills run great and strong. Next car will be another Saturn. They made these cars to last.

Slowly Began to Annoy Me
By Cgrl

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

No major mechanical problem with the car. Has good mileage and has served me well. Me and the car have a relationship of convenience. It's a used economy car so I'll try to be fair. Rattling and minor repairs are expected. Still, the car has no acceleration (unsafe on highway, hills), badly designed, uncomfotable interior. Cup holder in careless location, torture seats, no sun-visor mirror on drivers side. Bad visability, frame gets in way, etc. Get a Honda. Just because it is an economy car doesn't mean that the litte things don't matter. It doesn't actually cost more to design a car in a sensible way, but it costs thousands when you lose what could have been a life long customer

Gas mileage, inexpensive upkeep. It keeps going and going. Itried to kill it by changing oil irregulary to get a new car, didn't work

Acceleration. When you make a car, remember someone has to drive the thing. In other words, fix the interior, I mean everything.

Stay Away!
By carlym615

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45K on it in Aug of 2000. I thought it would be a reliable car for me to go off to college in. Not 15 miles from the dealership it stopped going. The battery and fuel pump had to be replaced. In Aug of '01 I had to have the transmission rebuilt. The mechanic said that he saw Saturns in there all the time with tranny problems. Since then my sunroof and CD player quit working. The windshield wipers decide when they'd like to work, as do the map lights. I thought this would be a good car to keep around and now I'm forking over the additional money and going with an Accord.

Fuel economy