2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Pleasantly Surprised
By NGFD14 on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

We never even thought of the Saturn when we started looking for the car, but when we saw this car, it seemed to suit all of our needs, which were fuel economy, fun to drive, safe, reliable and you didn't feel that you were in an econobox. This car over the past year has proven to be all of those. The body panels are an added bonus in the northern climate in which road salt is used on the highways during winter.

Thought I was getting a good car....
By Ch8ev9y on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have had a lot of problems with my 2000 SL2. I have had a lot of equipment replaced or in need of replacing. The "dent resistant" side panels sounded great... what they don't tell you is that instead of getting a dent... you get holes.

Great car!
By poohsstrn on 12/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I have never had any problems with my car! The dealership is great, never any hassles. I plan on buying another Saturn in the future.

SL2 Dark Red-Fun Car
By darrhacker on 10/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my SL2 for the fuel mileage. Little did I know that it would be a fun car to drive. The engine really comes to life at 4000 rpm and above. It is definitely not a luxury vehicle though. The road noise is a little louder than I would like and the rear suspension won't accomodate 4 adults. It tends to bottom-out easily with the extra weight.

Not bad for what I paid
By JohnL227 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I've only had my car a year and it's proven to be well worth the $$$. I've only had to perform scheduled maintenance and it feels like a solid car for such a small layout. Mileage is in the low 30's and everything from the seating position to the gauge cluster to the control switches are nearly perfect for me. I wish mine had a power seat, tho; the manual controls are a little clumsy. There's also a low rev vibration that makes me think something isn't tuned or balanced correctly, but others I've spoken with have the same problem, so I'm assuming it's just part of the car. Overall, I think it's a great first car or student car for those on a budget.

Armywife101430
By Armywife101430 on 08/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Reliable car. I have owned mine for only 6 months, but I bought it after my husband deployed and have not had a problem yet. Performs well- the only problem for me is acceleration on hills.

2000 Saturn SW2
By john355 on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

There were no mechanical problems in the first 20,000 miles. At 20,000 miles, a significant transmission problem occurred (warranty covered). The car went well until 38,000 miles (just after 36,000 mile warranty). Between 38,000 miles and 42,000 miles, the following items needed repar: clutch, battery, intake manifold gasket, two electrical shorts. One could argue that the clutch and battery are maintenance items, however the failure of these parts was way too early. The interior had several minor airleaks around the windows (sealing issues). The sealing shortcoming did not concern me, however, the poor reliability did.

No frills
By Dan on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

While this model is not a head turner, it is excellent at what it was built for. After two and a half years and over 72000 miles, I've only had to replace the tires (other than scheduled maintainence). Not only has the SL1 proven to be reliable, it is also very economical. I average 41mpg in mixed driving, which is much better than I have seen advertised. Good news for those of us who are not yet sold on the gas/electric go-carts now available.

I likey!
By satisfied customer on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had my SL1 Saturn ever since December. It already had 65,000 miles on it when I bought it. Even though it had a lot of mileage, I have had no major problems with it thus far. I really like the sound system in the car, and I love how the back seats fold down so I put speakers in my car (yes, i am a teenager). Even though I wish I had a Firebird or Mustang, i really enjoy this it as my 1st car and wouldn't trade it for anything (except for a black instead of gold exterior).

Been good so far
By ceilingfan on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought it brand new in 2000. Had a few problems. Leaking Intake Manifold, causes coolant to leak out. The dealer fixed this free of charge even though it was out of warranty. Only repair I had to pay for was Exhaust repair ($300 or so). Have an intermitant clutch chatter (5 speed). Mechanic says its not serious enough to repair