Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 97 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Big Ol Hunk of...
By tyler

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and was good to start with especially on gas mileage. But then the problems started to roll in, a problem with the intake was causing it to idle high as well as spill gas fumes into the AC system this fix cost around $800. The car was fine for about a month and then there was a low end knock which luckily did not seize the entire engine this fix was about $3000 about 3 months later the engine began to tick again but luckily the engine rebuild was covered under the dealer repair warranty. Every once in a while the AC decides to not work, so that is good in the summer. Also leaks coolant. Other than mechanical problems the car is extremely noisy on the inside.

Gas mileage is good but hardly makes up for the costly repairs.

I wouldn't care if all of these problems were fixed because I will never even consider buying another Saturn!

Good gas mileage
By 62custom880

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for about 4 years now and the only thing I have done is normal wear and tear items. Bought it wth 37000 miles on it from a dealership lease turn in. Have done front brakes and rotors, oil changes. No problems yet and decent in upstate NY snow. Gets aroung 30-34 MPG. Get it up over 65 MPH and then it uses gas. Engine power drops if you have more than one adult in car and then it seems slugish when trying to speed up quickly.

Not much metal to rust on the body when they dump a ton of salt on icy roads in upstate NY. Gas mileage.

None

down hill
By Brian

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is the second Saturn I have owned (I had a '96 SL2 but the tranny went out for the second time). I have had this about a year now but I have not been able to drive it for the last two months. I bought this thinking that it would last me the 250K I had on my '96. Not so. It only has 128K and i have a power problem that no one can find. A dealer finally told me today that it could be the clutch slipping. I doubt it. I give up. I will be looking for a new car now. So long Saturn.

good economy

not reliable for the distance I have to drive.

Great car!
By Julie

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

This is my favorite of all the cars I've owned. I've never had any problems with it other than normal maintenance and wear and tear issues. And I don't know anyone else who gets an average of 34 miles per gallon. I'm keeping it until Saturn re-introduces it.

Gas mileage, fun to drive, good performance

Seat belt could use some adjusting (goes right across the neck); water/snow get in the truck when it opens

A great family car
By love my saturn

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

After we found out the hard way Neons are easy to steal, we bought our first Saturn and it's been great. It's got high miles and still runs like it was new. I totally suggest if you are looking for a great family car, the SL2 4 door is the way to go.

Fuel mileage, plastic body, very fun to drive.