2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Great little car has it been a charm
By parker on 06/29/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Well I got my Saturn in 2000. I got a SL2 with the double overhead cam. Very peppy car. Well now I have 133,000 miles on it and I just did a set of brakes at 90,000 and then one coolent sensor at the same time. I have not tuned it up yet. My brother is a master tech for GM and he cant believe I get over 40 miles a gal with this car at 65 mph. It was really 42.3. Yes it does use about maybe less then a half of quart of oil in 3,000 miles and it if sits at a red light for more then 3 mins it will smoke when I take off, but it stops after 5 seconds. The transmission does do the reverse slam I call it but I just don't use it as much when it's hot. When the car is cold its OK.

Great short-term use car
By Mari on 06/25/08 22:40 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I got this car new when I graduated high school in 2000. It served me well for about 5 years and then everything started going downhill. A lot of little problems added up to a lot of big bucks. The CD player ate my CDs, the stereo volume randomly changes, the horn stopped working, I had to have the ignition replaced twice because it kept locking up, the power locks had to be repaired, and lately I've had a lot of trouble starting my vehicle (was told it was the alternator, so it was replaced, but I'm still having the problem.) Also, the car rattles a lot due to poor integrity. On the positive side, it has awesome fuel economy. Overall, it's a good car for a student, but not for the long-term.

Low Maintenace and 40mpgs!
By Matt on 06/23/08 14:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I've put 103,000 miles on my Saturn since I bought it used in 2002. The only real "problem" I've had is the sunroof stopped working at 120,000 miles. With regular maintenace this car has travelled to all 4 corners of Ohio and back again with me and I've never had any electrical, mechanical, or body problems at all. Sometimes I think I have a miracle car. The original window sticker says 40mpg Highway and it's still getting that! About a year ago, I almost traded it in, but now everytime gas prices go up, I keep deciding to keep it till it dies....if that day ever comes!

Cheapest car to drive!!
By stacys_knight on 06/16/08 12:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had my Saturn for 6 months and have put over 20,000 miles on it. It has been wonderful, on the highway I can get up to 45 miles per gallon! Wow! The 5 speed is very peppy and pretty puick for what it has under the hood. My wife has an 05 Impala and I can keep up with it from the line. Have done routine oil changes and have had to change the ignition packs this weekend. Done myself and was only $105. Not bad I think. I love my Saturn. I travel a lot and there could not be a better car for the task! I would recommend very highly! Thank you Saturn!

My SL2
By Natherion on 06/04/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

The Saturn SL2 is nothing if not fuel efficient. Getting well over 30 miles to gallon, the car is a gift in the recent times with gas prices ever rising. The engine leaves much to be desired in power. An individual driving the small, light weight car should have no issues with it however, cram the car with a brady bunch of people and you'll find the engine has no torque to speak of. The acceleration is somewhere between average to good but once you add in the torque issue with a large group of people, the acceleration goes right out the window. The car does come with most of the basic ammenities such as powered windows and the like but nothing special. All and all the car is plain but great.

Above average American car
By Matt on 05/24/08 02:31 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for 7 years. I have had a few problems with it as far as it stopping or not starting due to minor things like battery, cold weather and more. It has been 3 times it's stopped. Other than that it has been a great car. I paid it off and it has been saving me money ever since as I haven't had to take it into the shop. But then again I was the first owner so I made sure to take good care of it and drive lightly. If I were to buy a used sedan and was looking to save money, I'd get one. Otherwise, get a Toyota Corrola.

A cheap decent car
By mike on 05/17/08 21:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My parents leased this car when it first hit the dealers. I was too young to drive it then, but when I started to drive it had about 60k miles on it. Now it has over 100 km. This car is pretty good overall. I'd say it is very reliable, cause it's been offroading, it hit a curb and went airborne, and it flipped and landed on it's roof. (dont ask how all that happend:) and it's still in great condition. So I think this car is reliable and tough. Acceleration isn't that bad but it is a 4 cyl. At high speeds this car is a little rough riding. Over the years the only bad thing about the car is the engine failed at only 90 km. So we bought a used engine w/60 km on it. If you get it cheap, then it's good

Big Ol Hunk of...
By tyler on 04/18/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and was good to start with especially on gas mileage. But then the problems started to roll in, a problem with the intake was causing it to idle high as well as spill gas fumes into the AC system this fix cost around $800. The car was fine for about a month and then there was a low end knock which luckily did not seize the entire engine this fix was about $3000 about 3 months later the engine began to tick again but luckily the engine rebuild was covered under the dealer repair warranty. Every once in a while the AC decides to not work, so that is good in the summer. Also leaks coolant. Other than mechanical problems the car is extremely noisy on the inside.

Good gas mileage
By 62custom880 on 03/25/08 22:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Have had the car for about 4 years now and the only thing I have done is normal wear and tear items. Bought it wth 37000 miles on it from a dealership lease turn in. Have done front brakes and rotors, oil changes. No problems yet and decent in upstate NY snow. Gets aroung 30-34 MPG. Get it up over 65 MPH and then it uses gas. Engine power drops if you have more than one adult in car and then it seems slugish when trying to speed up quickly.

down hill
By Brian on 03/15/08 19:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is the second Saturn I have owned (I had a '96 SL2 but the tranny went out for the second time). I have had this about a year now but I have not been able to drive it for the last two months. I bought this thinking that it would last me the 250K I had on my '96. Not so. It only has 128K and i have a power problem that no one can find. A dealer finally told me today that it could be the clutch slipping. I doubt it. I give up. I will be looking for a new car now. So long Saturn.