Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Suprised, Not Shocked!
By brewcity

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I purchased the vehicle in late 2006, and the vehicle had roughly 56,000 miles on it. The car is in good condition and have made some decent long "distant" trips and has not disappointed me on trips YET!

I average about 29.5 mi/gal. Respectively I have not had a HUGE engine problem. The entire cloth is clean and in good shape, and the outside is clean. Good for winter driving, unless you get banked in.

The braking system is kind of soft, and not your typical easing to stop. I have had to replace the Computer Module, wheel bearings, tie rods, Emission Control System. "Respectively" $2500~ in repairs. Oil has tendency to burn. No reason Saturn is done with.

Engine stops
By wilson

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Great auto except now at 75,000 miles engine stalls after 15 min of drive time and i need to shut motor down. Wait 15 -- 20 min restart and resume my short trips. What would cause the engine to stall and after a wait it start up and away I go? Some 30 years ago I know vapor lock was a problem on some cars. My problem appears to duplicate that problem.

A Workhorse
By Jason

2000 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

My Saturn SC1 3-door coupe has been a workhorse since I first purchased it over 10 years ago. In Texas, I used to drive back and forth to Florida, Alabama, Louisiana quite often and had no trouble. I then moved to Southern California and had to contend with the traffic here which has pushed it to its limits. I have over 130k miles, do regular preventative maintenance and have never had any major problems. I've had to replace the battery and tires a few times and just recently had a new water pump installed. Other than that, I love this car. I hope to push it up to the 250k mileage mark. When the time comes, I'm going to hate replacing this reliable vehicle. RIP Saturn.

Gas Mileage, Mechanical Reliability, Durable Exterior panels, Sound System (I still have the stock speakers and they play just as well as they did when they were brand new)

Seat Comfort, Trunk has no spring so you have to lower it carefully or you'll find yourself slamming it accidentally, Gas Cap could have been improved upon

Love My Saturn
By RBryceland

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I leased this SL2 new 10 years ago and then purchased it when the lease term was up. It was the best thing I ever did. Gas mileage? Great! Peppiness? Yep! I've taken care of it and it's taken care of me. I've just purchased a new wagon (not a Saturn as the division is kaput) and instead of trading in the SL2, I've given it to my sister. She's thrilled.

MPG! Great. Fun to drive. Exterior. Ride is great for a small car. Easy to park.

The horn takes too much effort to honk. But it doesn't matter since the division is no more.

Still Running After All These Years
By Killer Bee

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this Saturn SW2 used with 120,000 miles for $2K. It needed just a little maintenance (new spark plugs, air filter, replaced dislodged driver- side headlight assembly, some running rust (primed and painted that) and a wheel alignment). Got on the road and it runs like a dream. Despite a high idle (800 RPM) I can get 35 mpg on the highway. The exterior is excellent; my compliments to the only other owner that had this wagon. This is my fourth Saturn and I'm going to keep it as long as possible. GM made a mistake dropping this reliable brand.

Reliability, easy to maintain, decent cargo space, gas mileage, safety features. There are on-line shops that can help you maintain it since most GM dealerships don't carry Saturn parts anymore.

Seats; they could have been made better. Needed a more user-friendly interior. The high idle is evident in almost all Saturn four-bangers. That's it.