2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Through the years
By LK on 01/11/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got the car in Spring of 04 to drive me out from Ohio to California. It did the job. Although, the idol has ALWAYS given me problems. Idol increases when car is not moving. It broke down in 05 and the fuel injectors needed replaced. New battery in 07. In 09 it started running bad. It does not accelerate as good as did before, and the engine is rough. Driver and passenger side windows are slow moving and sometimes to even go down or up. Sadly, I will have to replace it. I thought it would last longer, but still not bad. I would not buy another Saturn.

my college ride
By collegedrive19 on 11/23/09 03:25 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I found it funny that i bought a GM built car at a Ford dealer. I got this car about 6 months ago as my first car and to get me to college and back. For under 5 grand i got my SC2 with just over 100,000 miles on it. So far i have put nearly 2,500 miles on it and have had few problems. The driver window is hesitant and wont work if wet. Water pools, yes POOLs, in the side pockets in the trunk. Im sure this only happens because it never stops raining in Seattle.Plus the rear back up light rusted out, went in to get it fixed and of course the car just happened to fix itself. Other wise, its a fun small car getting 25 mpg combined (30+ highway) that just wont quit.

Boring but Bulletproof
By Kevin McCormick on 08/21/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I have abused the hell out of this car and it is still going strong. I purchased the car in 2005 for $400 from a female friend who "forgot to put oil into it" and threw a rod through the block at 90k miles. $600 and 12 hours later ans I had the car on the road. I have used the car as my pickup truck for 4 years carrying as much as 2000 lbs in weight both in the car as well as on the roof. I have also towed a 2000 lb trailer with the car. I currently have 175k kiles on the car and it just wont die. This car has been the epitome of reliability. Also, I have gotten as much as 42 miles to a gallon out of a tank of gas, not bad for a pickup truck

10 yrs more please!
By judders on 08/15/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My SL2 4dr sedan has consistently gotten 40 mpg on the highway & 26- 28mpg in the city---I drive everywhere, but only have 90000mi -- this is a great comfortable,economic car--manual transmission is fun and responsive--still have original clutch, muffler--love this car.

Huge Saturn Fan
By SaturnFan on 05/04/09 05:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

This has been the greatest car I have ever owned. Reliable, superb gas mileage (I still get around 32 mpg, 10 years on) and good in snow, believe it or not.

Die Hard Saturn
By fenachrone on 04/03/09 17:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

At 192K miles, my SL2 shows no signs of quitting. Repairs since I've owned it have been: brakes relined several times, O2 sensor, stabilizer bar links, valve cover gasket, wheel bearings, and a few other small things. The car has used a quart every 1000 miles or so; seems to be just the way it is with this vehicle, and you get used to it, watching that dipstick carefully. No problems with the engine that might show cylinder wear though. I think Saturn may have been at the top of their game here and this has been by far the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It was made in Canada; could that have anything to do with it?

Not bad, great on gas
By rossic on 02/16/09 12:33 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

Got the SC2 in 2004 with 76k miles. Have put on hard highway and around town miles (I'm not easy on cars) up to 122k now. Very reliable starting and driving, not so much for interior, fit, finish, peripheral engine parts, etc. Have needed to replace coolant temp sensor, fuel pump, automatic trans speed sensor, everything else routine. Engine burns oil slowly (have heard this is a Saturn problem) and loses coolant during cold months. Terrible on snow and ice due to very light weight. Nearly unusable rear seats, uncomfortable front. Everything shakes at highway speeds (also seems to be common on this model), loud, cheap interior. Great gas mileage, decent looks, easy to drive, low power

Great basic transportation
By CargoPilot on 11/30/08 13:04 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This has been my primary transportation and it now has 142000 miles. It has the automatic transmission and I consistantly get 33-35 mpg even with high freeway speeds and air conditioner use. I have replaced one set of disk brake rotors as well as two sets of front wheel bearings. I also had to replace the ignition module once. All other maintenance has been routine. Overall, a reliable car with low fuel and insurance costs. Replacement parts and labor have been higher than earlier GM models.

Cheap, reliable, great on gas
By fissh&chips on 08/21/08 13:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got this used over 5 yrs ago with 40K on it for $5 grand. Lacks power, comfort, weird design. But very reliable, excellent on gas, factory radio surprisingly goodl; most importantly very cheap used car - insurance low as well. Not too comfortable driving on highway - too light; winter tires are a must during winter. all in all really recommend.

My 2 Cents
By brent on 07/18/08 13:33 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from the dealer brand new in 99. The car had 7 miles on it. I have really enjoyed this car and it is very good on gas mileage. Best mileage I ever had was 44. I routinely got over 40 on trips until I upgraded to a different tire. I have had some minor repairs but besides this it runs great and I now have 161k miles on it. It will be 9 years this year and I don't see any reason it won't go another 160 k miles. Little disappointed that Saturn did away with this car. It did way better on mileage than the Ion does. I think it was too expensive too build. Thanks for the great car.