Used 2000 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Still going after all these years!
By Paul

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this SL-2 in August of 2000. I put on approximately 20k miles per year. Aside from issues with the sunroof, and one of the power window switches (it broke off) it's been a great car! Now with 120k miles and 6 years on it I continue to get 30-35 MPG highway, and it still purrs like a kitten. Oh, and people think it's only a couple years old! Love plastic side panels!

Favorite Features

Outside looks, fuel economy, and it's fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bigger trunk with a wider opening. Better sunroof quality. More comfortable seats.

Hit or Miss
By Saturn Wagon SW-2

2000 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Well, Saturn is tossed around as a car every member of the family should own. Safe, reliable and economical. As the commercial says, it's a family friendly car. Just one problem with all this...you never know when your going to get a deal or a dud. I've talked to a lot of satisfied owners and a lot of unhappy owners. Me? I rode the fence until we hit 70,000 miles. Since then, it's a money pit. The transmission slips between idle and go. The aluminum heads overheated and cost $2000 to repair. We're wondering what's next. Something still sounds wrong. Best advice, shop around and talk around. We've yet to find the perfect car.

Favorite Features

Sharp, classy interior. Nice European body style, pletty of cargo room, extremely quite interior. Peppy when new. Great fiberglass side panels. No denting. Watch out for the hood though. 25 MPG in town. 30 mpg HWY. Safe vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

CD Player stopped working after 55,000 miles. Do not buy aluminim heads unless you're rich. Takes a while to get used to the electric window buttons in the center console. No power after 50,000 miles. Watch the hood. It scratches EASILY! The front bumper structure is weak. Don't bump it. It's costly!

Oil Burner
By Bret Norman

2000 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car but started using oil at about 30,000 mi and at 80,000 was using 1qt every 800 miles. Engine is noisy. Except for the engine, the car would be a good buy.

Favorite Features

Body style and finish. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better engine. Raise chassis so that it isn't so low to the ground. More durable seat material.

Nothing to write home about
By Saxon

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Have had the car 5 years now, with ~42000 miles. It gets decent gas mileage, and will go all day on the highway, but heaven help you if you have to do any accelerating. Driving in city traffic can be downright hair raising, as the car can barely get out of its own way. Our car has the auto tranny, and running the A/C certainly doesn't help, but pressing the accelerator and getting nothing but more noise from the engine is not acceptable. If you don't have to deal with lots of highway merges, you'll do OK with this car. If you need any acceleration at all, look elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Cheap on gas, decent ride.

Suggested Improvements

Engine should have had a bigger hamster (more power). Transmission has poorly- chosen shift points, and is too eager to get to 4th and/or lock up the torque converter. Seatbelt lock is oversensitive, sometimes prevents leaning forward to check traffic at an intersection.

Lasted well, longer than I thought
By Joe

2000 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in Jan of 03 used with 43,000 miles on it. It's a great economical car. It didnt give me any major problems, just a lot of interior rattling. When the A/C is on, the acceleration is horrible. The power windows gave me a little trouble, and I had them replaced and they still gave me trouble. The only major thing I have to do so far is replace the battery. Otherwise, just the general maintenence. It now has 93,000 miles on it. So it did very well for how much I've used it the past two and half years.

Favorite Features

Spoiler, sunroof, interior design

Suggested Improvements

Rattling when driving and stopped at a stoplight. it needs a more sturdy build. Some pieces of the interior have fallen off.