2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

SW2 1.9L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
2nd Worst Car I've ever owned !
By saturnh8ter on 09/15/12 07:25 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

This car is a lousy vehicle. It is not the worst car I have ever owned (I had a 74 Pinto stationwagon!) but this one is a close second. Bought car used at 90k miles after reading all the glowing reviews about the car and gave it to my wife. Three months later the engine lost oil pressure and had to be replaced. Now after 30k on a Saturn remanufactured motor, the head gasket is leaking. The auto trans sometimes has a hard time finding reverse, the fit and finish of the car is horrible, everything seems cheap! It is hard to get in and out of; I like to tell people it has all of the bad traits of a sportscar with none of the fun of driving one. No wonder Saturn went out of business ! !

Engine stops
By wilson on 06/01/10 14:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Great auto except now at 75,000 miles engine stalls after 15 min of drive time and i need to shut motor down. Wait 15 -- 20 min restart and resume my short trips. What would cause the engine to stall and after a wait it start up and away I go? Some 30 years ago I know vapor lock was a problem on some cars. My problem appears to duplicate that problem.

Still Running After All These Years
By Killer Bee on 03/16/10 15:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this Saturn SW2 used with 120,000 miles for $2K. It needed just a little maintenance (new spark plugs, air filter, replaced dislodged driver- side headlight assembly, some running rust (primed and painted that) and a wheel alignment). Got on the road and it runs like a dream. Despite a high idle (800 RPM) I can get 35 mpg on the highway. The exterior is excellent; my compliments to the only other owner that had this wagon. This is my fourth Saturn and I'm going to keep it as long as possible. GM made a mistake dropping this reliable brand.

Boring but Bulletproof
By Kevin McCormick on 08/21/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

I have abused the hell out of this car and it is still going strong. I purchased the car in 2005 for $400 from a female friend who "forgot to put oil into it" and threw a rod through the block at 90k miles. $600 and 12 hours later ans I had the car on the road. I have used the car as my pickup truck for 4 years carrying as much as 2000 lbs in weight both in the car as well as on the roof. I have also towed a 2000 lb trailer with the car. I currently have 175k kiles on the car and it just wont die. This car has been the epitome of reliability. Also, I have gotten as much as 42 miles to a gallon out of a tank of gas, not bad for a pickup truck

Appearances are deceiving.
By Ian Clarke on 08/22/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Dreadful fuel economy. Poor turning radius. Difficult to get in and out of. Service Engine Soon light will not extinguish. Brakes lasted a year. Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, the play was OK.

Great Car
By WagonUser on 11/13/05 09:13 AM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

If they had continued this model, I would have purchased another. Unfortunately, it is discontinued in manual transmission, which is the only way to drive. Very reliable. No major issues in 99,000 miles. Very responsive; great steering, good stability and quite peppy for a small engine.

Hit or Miss
By Saturn Wagon SW-2 on 09/09/05 17:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

Well, Saturn is tossed around as a car every member of the family should own. Safe, reliable and economical. As the commercial says, it's a family friendly car. Just one problem with all this...you never know when your going to get a deal or a dud. I've talked to a lot of satisfied owners and a lot of unhappy owners. Me? I rode the fence until we hit 70,000 miles. Since then, it's a money pit. The transmission slips between idle and go. The aluminum heads overheated and cost $2000 to repair. We're wondering what's next. Something still sounds wrong. Best advice, shop around and talk around. We've yet to find the perfect car.

A good commuting vehicle
By Dennis on 06/03/05 14:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

We bought our Saturn wagon used from Enterprise Car Sales. It was one year old and a lease return. We have had it for over four years and it has run excellently with only periodic maintenance. The only complaint I have is that the driver's seat is not designed as well ergonomically as I would like, and there is not enough room between my right leg and the center console, so I'm always bumping against it. Overall, we are very pleased with this vehicle and I would definitely look at buying another Saturn in the future.

Saturn Wagon 2000
By julie on 04/02/05 15:41 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

This car has a high idle problem that we have not been able to identify. The O2 sensors were replaced, but that didn't stop the high idle. Clutch needed replacing at 67000 miles, now the clutch pedal linkage needs to be replaced or jury-rigged to take up the slack. The seats are uncomfortable. All of the windows fog up when there is a heavy rain. It has never left me stranded and it gets around 30 mpg.

2000 Saturn SW2
By john355 on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series Wagon SW2 4dr Wagon

There were no mechanical problems in the first 20,000 miles. At 20,000 miles, a significant transmission problem occurred (warranty covered). The car went well until 38,000 miles (just after 36,000 mile warranty). Between 38,000 miles and 42,000 miles, the following items needed repar: clutch, battery, intake manifold gasket, two electrical shorts. One could argue that the clutch and battery are maintenance items, however the failure of these parts was way too early. The interior had several minor airleaks around the windows (sealing issues). The sealing shortcoming did not concern me, however, the poor reliability did.