Used 2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

2000 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

You couldn't kill this thing if you tried...
By orinocoflow1

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

As I write this review, it is December, 2013. My parents purchased me a 2000 Saturn SL1 in 2004 for my first car. I was 17 years old then and I'm going on 28 and I still own this car.

When they purchased the car for me it had around 40,000 miles. Cut to today: the car has 248,673 miles and still runs the same as the day I got it. So in 10 years I've owned the car the only major thing that has happened was with the timing chain. It messed up one night and I was left stranded at work. It cost $900 to fix the head of the motor that was cracked when the timing chain jumped time.

That was it.

Besides regular car maintenance (oil, tires, etc.) I've never had any problems out of it.

The interior is extremely plastic and cheap to the touch - but this also makes drink spills a super easy cleanup. **This car is PHENOMENAL on the interstate. SUPERB gas mileage.**

Doesn't Get Much Better
By tisea

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 137,000 miles on it, and drove it until it had well over 300,000 miles (until it was totaled in a high-speed accident). If it hadn't been totalled, I would have driven the car until it just wouldn't go any longer, which I imagine would have been for a very long time. I did regular maintenence on the car, like oil changes, changing fuel filters and the like. The only extraordinary thing I had to do was change the water pump. The car never broke down on me, left me standing on the side of the road, or anything of the sort. In a four-year period, I reguarly made trips between The East Coast and Texas without any issue, and cross-country trips. It's an incredible car.

Gas milage can't be beaten.

The car was not the most comfortable for extended periods of driving.

Goodbye to a Good Friend
By SaturnFan

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first brand new car purchased during the first year of my first "real" job. It has never ever let me down. It has gone through a foot of Wisconsin snow as well as the sweltering heat of an Alabama summer. For 10 years it has been my best friend, always there when I needed it. It is too bad the Saturn Car Company is no longer around. I would definitely have purchased another made in America Gem. As it stands, she will be replaced with a Honda Civic, the only thing I could find remotely comparable and still supporting American jobs. Should you find yourself in the place to purchase one of these beauties, do not hesitate.

Cruise, Style, Bucket Seats, CD Player, Power Locks, Windows, Mirrors

Roof Rack addition

Through the years
By LK

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got the car in Spring of 04 to drive me out from Ohio to California. It did the job. Although, the idol has ALWAYS given me problems. Idol increases when car is not moving. It broke down in 05 and the fuel injectors needed replaced. New battery in 07. In 09 it started running bad. It does not accelerate as good as did before, and the engine is rough. Driver and passenger side windows are slow moving and sometimes to even go down or up. Sadly, I will have to replace it. I thought it would last longer, but still not bad. I would not buy another Saturn.

Size. Fog lights are always on, even in daytime. Trunk space is fairly roomy. Good gas mileage. Never had any electrical problems. Easy to replace air filter myself.

Don't have power window switches on middle console. A/C and heater are not that powerful. Fix the idol!

Cheap, reliable, great on gas
By fissh&chips

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got this used over 5 yrs ago with 40K on it for $5 grand. Lacks power, comfort, weird design. But very reliable, excellent on gas, factory radio surprisingly goodl; most importantly very cheap used car - insurance low as well. Not too comfortable driving on highway - too light; winter tires are a must during winter. all in all really recommend.

Stereo, gas consumption

Lack of power, plastic inerior