2000 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
You couldn't kill this thing if you tried...
By orinocoflow1 on 12/09/13 16:50 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

As I write this review, it is December, 2013. My parents purchased me a 2000 Saturn SL1 in 2004 for my first car. I was 17 years old then and I'm going on 28 and I still own this car. When they purchased the car for me it had around 40,000 miles. Cut to today: the car has 248,673 miles and still runs the same as the day I got it. So in 10 years I've owned the car the only major thing that has happened was with the timing chain. It messed up one night and I was left stranded at work. It cost $900 to fix the head of the motor that was cracked when the timing chain jumped time. That was it. Besides regular car maintenance (oil, tires, etc.) I've never had any problems out of it.

Doesn't Get Much Better
By tisea on 07/07/13 13:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car with 137,000 miles on it, and drove it until it had well over 300,000 miles (until it was totaled in a high-speed accident). If it hadn't been totalled, I would have driven the car until it just wouldn't go any longer, which I imagine would have been for a very long time. I did regular maintenence on the car, like oil changes, changing fuel filters and the like. The only extraordinary thing I had to do was change the water pump. The car never broke down on me, left me standing on the side of the road, or anything of the sort. In a four-year period, I reguarly made trips between The East Coast and Texas without any issue, and cross-country trips. It's an incredible car.

Goodbye to a Good Friend
By SaturnFan on 02/21/10 17:12 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first brand new car purchased during the first year of my first "real" job. It has never ever let me down. It has gone through a foot of Wisconsin snow as well as the sweltering heat of an Alabama summer. For 10 years it has been my best friend, always there when I needed it. It is too bad the Saturn Car Company is no longer around. I would definitely have purchased another made in America Gem. As it stands, she will be replaced with a Honda Civic, the only thing I could find remotely comparable and still supporting American jobs. Should you find yourself in the place to purchase one of these beauties, do not hesitate.

Through the years
By LK on 01/11/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got the car in Spring of 04 to drive me out from Ohio to California. It did the job. Although, the idol has ALWAYS given me problems. Idol increases when car is not moving. It broke down in 05 and the fuel injectors needed replaced. New battery in 07. In 09 it started running bad. It does not accelerate as good as did before, and the engine is rough. Driver and passenger side windows are slow moving and sometimes to even go down or up. Sadly, I will have to replace it. I thought it would last longer, but still not bad. I would not buy another Saturn.

Cheap, reliable, great on gas
By fissh&chips on 08/21/08 13:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Got this used over 5 yrs ago with 40K on it for $5 grand. Lacks power, comfort, weird design. But very reliable, excellent on gas, factory radio surprisingly goodl; most importantly very cheap used car - insurance low as well. Not too comfortable driving on highway - too light; winter tires are a must during winter. all in all really recommend.

Cheapest car to drive!!
By stacys_knight on 06/16/08 12:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I have had my Saturn for 6 months and have put over 20,000 miles on it. It has been wonderful, on the highway I can get up to 45 miles per gallon! Wow! The 5 speed is very peppy and pretty puick for what it has under the hood. My wife has an 05 Impala and I can keep up with it from the line. Have done routine oil changes and have had to change the ignition packs this weekend. Done myself and was only $105. Not bad I think. I love my Saturn. I travel a lot and there could not be a better car for the task! I would recommend very highly! Thank you Saturn!

Big Ol Hunk of...
By tyler on 04/18/08 09:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This was my first car and was good to start with especially on gas mileage. But then the problems started to roll in, a problem with the intake was causing it to idle high as well as spill gas fumes into the AC system this fix cost around $800. The car was fine for about a month and then there was a low end knock which luckily did not seize the entire engine this fix was about $3000 about 3 months later the engine began to tick again but luckily the engine rebuild was covered under the dealer repair warranty. Every once in a while the AC decides to not work, so that is good in the summer. Also leaks coolant. Other than mechanical problems the car is extremely noisy on the inside.

Awesome
By Nicole82 on 06/01/06 16:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This car has worked fantastic for three years. We have put over 70k miles on it since purchasing. The only problem we've encountered was the intake gasket (common problem) that cost $15 to replace and one day of do it yourself installing. Great Fuel Economy. This car glides. I've never driven a car that could coast downhill as well as this. My next car will be a Saturn without question. A+ satisfaction.

Nothing to write home about
By Saxon on 06/29/05 14:01 PM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Have had the car 5 years now, with ~42000 miles. It gets decent gas mileage, and will go all day on the highway, but heaven help you if you have to do any accelerating. Driving in city traffic can be downright hair raising, as the car can barely get out of its own way. Our car has the auto tranny, and running the A/C certainly doesn't help, but pressing the accelerator and getting nothing but more noise from the engine is not acceptable. If you don't have to deal with lots of highway merges, you'll do OK with this car. If you need any acceleration at all, look elsewhere.

Getting the job done...
By Skii on 05/02/05 11:02 AM (PDT)

2000 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I drive 25m each way to work daily. This car has been getting 34mpg on average, very good with gas at $2.25 a gallon (in NY). I have a 5 speed, so power is not a problem because you simply downshift. It is fun to drive with the stick. And easier on brakes. The polymer panels are great for the northeast and the body should last a long time, appearance wise. Most cars rust out. I like the SOHC engine. Less moving parts and better engine wear I feel.