Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

10 years and very little maintenance req
By Tom

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1999 and have had only the typical maintenance done. Only after all these years is it starting to show some issues. Most of my issues probably are because of the recommended services at 60,000 Miles have yet to be performed while I'm at 72,000 miles. If I were planning on keeping it I'd surely do this. I settled for the extreme basic SL2 model w/o any of the extras. Not even a CD player. I love the car for the daily commute to work and since I have the 5 speed manual transmission it has enough pep when I need it too. I doubt that it would be quite as peppy if it were an auto. trans. Love the car hate what's happening in the auto industry today.

Gas mileage, durability and retention of body appearance. Plastic sides equal zero rust! Looks much newer than it actually is.

Intermittent wipers when it's cold. They either won't work or work sporadically which is a real hassle when there is lots of salt on the road and you need to use washer fluid which also was prone to freezing, which I attribute to quick oil change places using watered down fluid.

NOT happy
By mattm

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...

cup holder. seriously.

Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

Trunk Space and Mileage.

Armrest still uncomfortable.

R.I.P. My Best Car Ever
By Barry

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my í99 SL2 used in the summer of í05 and it was even a savage title and had 97K on it. On March 12, 2009 I was hit head on and walked away unhurt thanks to the cars great safety engineering, in that time I put 144,000 more miles on it and it was still running strong, only showing a few signs of slowing down. In that time the only major breakdown was a pin in the transmission came lose and caused a bad leak at around 110K. Since then the alternator (at 230K) oil, breaks and tires, it is by far the best car Iíve ever owned. The only complaint is the headliner started to come down and carbon built up on the window switches and had to be cleaned.

I liked the layout of all the controls, you could easily reach everything and for a cheaper car it was pretty good on comfort. (I drive 140 miles a day so its important) and good gas mileage, I got around 24 in town and 32 on the hwy.

Better headliner (but that seems to be a problem in a lot of cars), do something with the power window switches so carbon doesnít built up causing the windows not to go up. Could be made funner to drive.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I recently Bought my SC2 3 door from a mechanic. The car has 202,000 miles on it runs like a top. It's peppy and comfortable also great on gas. I have 2 Saturns prior to this one. Very cheap to maintain unless the tranny goes..

Sunroof, leather seats. 3rd door and trunk space

Tires could have been wider and also maybe the weight of the vehicle could have improved in snowy conditions. Watch out for the transmission around 200k

• SUV