Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

Favorite Features

Trunk Space and Mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest still uncomfortable.

R.I.P. My Best Car Ever
By Barry

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my í99 SL2 used in the summer of í05 and it was even a savage title and had 97K on it. On March 12, 2009 I was hit head on and walked away unhurt thanks to the cars great safety engineering, in that time I put 144,000 more miles on it and it was still running strong, only showing a few signs of slowing down. In that time the only major breakdown was a pin in the transmission came lose and caused a bad leak at around 110K. Since then the alternator (at 230K) oil, breaks and tires, it is by far the best car Iíve ever owned. The only complaint is the headliner started to come down and carbon built up on the window switches and had to be cleaned.

Favorite Features

I liked the layout of all the controls, you could easily reach everything and for a cheaper car it was pretty good on comfort. (I drive 140 miles a day so its important) and good gas mileage, I got around 24 in town and 32 on the hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Better headliner (but that seems to be a problem in a lot of cars), do something with the power window switches so carbon doesnít built up causing the windows not to go up. Could be made funner to drive.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I recently Bought my SC2 3 door from a mechanic. The car has 202,000 miles on it runs like a top. It's peppy and comfortable also great on gas. I have 2 Saturns prior to this one. Very cheap to maintain unless the tranny goes..

Favorite Features

Sunroof, leather seats. 3rd door and trunk space

Suggested Improvements

Tires could have been wider and also maybe the weight of the vehicle could have improved in snowy conditions. Watch out for the transmission around 200k

Reliable and affordable
By l

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

Originally purchased for affordable price, gas mileage, reasonable insurance costs associated (especially for a coupe), and reputed low maintenance. All true. Low cost car that lasted 10 years well. Body stills looks stylish and paint looks good. Repairs were genenerally the normal wear and tear, excepting 2 components. 1) the front license plate holder would constantly be knocked off by even the slightest tap of someone parking in a major metropolitan area. I had to have the dealership reattach it 5x before I finally convinced that that the clips were a poor design. 2) the slightest barometric change leads to the engine light going on. Saturn never finds a problem-but inconvenient to me.

Favorite Features

3rd door is so handy. Trunk space is excellent and the drop down back seat. I've managed Christmas trees in there! appearance remains great for age

Suggested Improvements

Windsheild wiper blade changing is not easy with the design.

Great Little Car
By Busta

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love my little Saturn. It's my starter car (I'm 17), and I bought it in January 2007 after my grandma's uncle died (it was his) for next to nothing. It's a great little car, and while it's not flashy and it doesn't have a big engine, it gets me where I want to go and it's fairly comfortable. It's very reliable and I get about 380 miles on one tank of gas. I was rearended last month while driving my Saturn, and a Honda Accord was the car that hit me. The front end of the Accord was bashed in and the hood crumpled, but the only damage I had was a small scratch in the paint on my bumper. Shows that I've got an awesome little car here! I love this thing and am taking it to college with me.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and fairly decent build quality

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had a slightly bigger engine in it, as I have to press on the gas very hard to get up to speed for the highway, but oh well.