1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Never Again
By gb237 on 07/06/07 07:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

This car has been nothing but problems. We have had to replace the air conditioning, motor mount, and engine belt. The sunroof will not work and the driver door hinge broke so it always slams into you while you are trying to get out of the car. Somehow, the oil magically disappears and the engine burns oil even after cleaning the system. The exhaust needs to be replaced and now the radio dial just happened to fall off. The power window fell off the track and I have so many more complaints! This car is the biggest headache cheap. I will never buy a Saturn again.

Great Wagon
By RobertW on 04/22/07 19:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I had the car custom built, the only options are traction and cruise, no AC, cost $14K. As an itinerant contractor, we've used it to move 12 times in 9 years, always loaded with 500+ lbs. It only failed once, due to a crank rotation sensor. I had to clean or replace fuel injectors a few times, and it burns a little oil. It still has the original brakes and clutch. Very good fit and finish, no rattles.

1999 Saturn SL-2
By eggoodwin on 04/08/07 15:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car hurriedly when I lost my car in a flood. I should have checked it out closer! The trunk will hold absolutely nothing. I feel as if I am sitting on the ground. I paid extra for leather but it is cheap leather and has not held up well with only me driving it. My sunroof leaks, my driver's door leaks, the ABS which I paid extra for went out 5 years later and the cost quoted me by Saturn to repair was very high. The good things are the gas mileage (approx 33 on highway and 30 in town) and the reliability. The road noise is so loud that I cannot talk on my cell while I am in the car.

No Complaints
By Mandy A on 03/15/07 13:06 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car has been so reliable for me. I only had to replace the fuel pump but luckily it was still under warranty. It has great gas mileage (approx. 38mpg). Saturn's customer service has been great and their maintenance garage has reasonable rates unlike most dealerships. I have had experienced a few minor cosmetic expenses. For example, my headliner deteriorated from the Florida sun and I was informed that this often happens in Saturns. Overall, very reliable and no complaints.

Reliable
By sro on 01/30/07 21:10 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

As the only owner of my '99 Saturn, it has been very reliable. The third door has been a huge help, no more sliding the seats to get out. Being 8 years old it is showing a little wear, the car's interior rattles a bit. The moon roof was so much fun to use, however, now it only opens and doesn't close. (It got a lot of use though) Overall, great car.

Reliable and Efficient
By DW on 01/07/07 07:20 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought a used SL1 4-door a couple of years ago when on a tight budget. It has been an excellent little car for the price. Great MPG, tight handling, and efficient mechanical design make up for the notable lack of horsepower. I drove the car almost weekly back/forth from Birmingham to New Orleans for a year, and even after Hurricane Katrina the SL1 never let me down. Alas, yesterday when getting a routine oil change, a certain "service center" drained my transmission fluid and failed to refill it (not Saturn's fault), so I must bid my old friend adieu. Obviously, I won't be getting my future car "serviced" there anymore but I wouldn't be surprised if my future car is another Saturn.

Close to amazing in class
By belle on 12/26/06 15:22 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This red pepper station wagon has some fine features. Fuel economy, peppy power, fun to drive as a 5 speed, hatchback, 4 doors, outside finish color stays bright, traction control makes it good in ice and snow. At 84000m have had to replace water pump, censor, motor mount, battery, spark wires, rear brakes, fix front door hinge. I can almost say it has been a great car, except it started using oil at 56K and Saturn made lame excuses. I was very dissapointed in Saturn's response. Otherwise I could have been an unabashed fan! I always maintained the engine, and now have to add 2 quarts between oil change. Amazingly, it still drives great, but I won't ever buy another Saturn.

My 1999 SC1
By Amiller-mptexas on 11/11/06 02:46 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I had acquired my '99 SC1 from a friend I knew in high school. She had a custom sound system installed and a few other modifications, but most of the car was still stock. It was well taken care of. The only major problem I had was overheating during the summer months. Yet again, it's usually 105ยบ here in Texas during the summer, and any car will have overheating problems when you're having to sit it traffic for over an hour. I've been driving it for about half a year now, and am pretty happy with it.

My '99 SC1
By A. De Ribas on 10/09/06 17:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

This is one of the most reliable cars I have owend. We had to replace a belt at $112.00 and the normal things. Still runs strong at 130,000 miles.

Fun, classy, sporty and economical
By Harleydeby on 10/01/06 10:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I bought one recently at a very good price. The car is in excellent shape, body is impeccable, mileage was adequate for year, and the motor runs and shifts like silk. I have no complaint whatsoever about the body style, motor, power, or reliability. Like one previous reviewer, I also think the hand brake could have been better placed and the shifter is indeed in the wrong spot. When putting a drink in the forward cup holder, you constantly hit it when shifting. Other than those two minor flaws, I give this car a huge thumbs up. It's six years old, looks like it came off the showroom floor, runs like it just came off the assembly line, and I look forward to many more years of fun with it