1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Qwerky but Good
By Dodger on 04/29/08 11:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I needed a reliable, inexpensive car for commuting. I am happy to say that I got what I was looking for. It has been reliable and gets GREAT gas mileage. When I bought it, it had 80K miles, had poor acceleration and used about one quart of oil every 1000 miles. Then the SRS light came on. I had to replace the catalytic convertor. I also did a top end cleaning (injectors, intake, valves) before replacing the exhaust. What a difference! It runs like a new car, uses only one quart of oil every 3000 miles, and still gets 35-42 MPG!!! Not bad for a car with 102000 miles, huh!!

My second Saturn is great too!
By Porkchop on 04/22/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

My second Saturn has been better than the first I owned (1991 Saturn SL2)and it was a great car. Out of all the cars my family has owned over the last 17 years my little saturns have been the cheapest to own. Only problem I've had with my 1999 SC2 is the electric door lock switch broke at around 90,000 miles. After getting a new one for 28 bucks installed the electric door switch now locks and unlocks the doors again. fit and finish and reliability for the price has been better than I expected. Smooth ride for a car this size. Great car would buy another Saturn but don't like the looks of their new models. So I hope this one lasts another 90,000 miles!

Owned for 8 years
By JBF on 01/11/08 06:43 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new and generally have had good service. About 60k miles it started using oil. Now uses about 1qt/1500 miles. Was told that it was a problem with the rings common in 97- 99 Saturns. It has been very reliable with no unscheduled maintanence. It now has about 121k miles. Fuel mileage started out great, but has declined to an average of about 30 mpg mixed city/hwy. The servo for the remote trunk release quit at about 105k miles. Many common parts, like spark plugs and wires, are only available thru a Saturn dealer, and you will pay a premium for them. Brakes are weak, leg room is cramped in all seats and lumbar support is poor.

Love my Saturn
By PRECIOUS on 12/20/07 05:04 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

Use for business travel and pleasure. This has been a very reliable auto, Bucket seats are a bit low for my taste but comfortable once you get into them. Large cargo area with back seats down flat. In 5 years 2 repairs in the $200 range.

Good low cost transportation
By EMTI95 on 11/01/07 09:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I bought this car used with 89k miles, now has 135k. It has performed well. Looks sporty. Seats not designed for the long haul. I'm 6 feet tall and fit well into car, but only with steering wheel tilted up getting/out. Engine burns 2 qt's oil between changes, but no smoke(?). Differential blew apart at 110k, taking tranny with it. Had junkyard tranny installed. Still runs good. Lots of rattles and creaks, particularly in cold weather. Love the ABS, traction control, stereo, sporty feel. Except for tranny, opertaing costs low. Insurance low for teenage daughter. Great student car. She even likes the manual trans. Not many of her friends can drave a standard.

Best car for the money?
By Randy Ruchotzke on 10/26/07 17:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my daughter after her Escort was totalled. Both of us are impressed (coming from a 1999 Escort to a 1999 Saturn influences our opinion). The mileage with a 5-speed and SOHC aengine is terrific. On two separate trips to NY from OH we averaged 46 mpg on the freeway. I will admit that my driving habits do tend to support high mileage. Has been perfectly reliable. Does burn a bit of oil, 1 qt every 1500 miles or so, but the engine runs strong. Not the most comfortable seats during long trips. Handles and rides okay, will be better with different tires. Love the dent resistant doors

A great little car- served me well!
By Flo Harvey on 09/22/07 12:48 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

This car has 93,000 miles on it and has had nothing wrong with it for 7 years. I replaced tires and battery only... had regular oil changes (fluid and belt maintenance) with Jiffy Lube every 6 months. Still runs like a charm!

Love my Saturn
By LETTERL on 08/19/07 10:25 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner of this SL2, which turns 9 years old this week. I cannot say enough how much I love this car. It's a workhorse and is always reliable. I've had the brakes and transmission replaced once. It does use a bit more oil now, but that's normal for a car of its age. Gas mileage remains superb; I often get 40 mpg on the highway and recently got as much as 34 while city driving. Little things have broken over the years (rear window and moonroof motors, the radio power knob broke off and last month, the trip odometer knob broke) but the car itself still purrs along almost like new. Take care of your Saturn and it will take care of you!

Excellent commuter
By Mike on 07/24/07 14:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a graduation present for my son 5 years ago for under $5ooo. I talked him into getting another car about six months ago since I was worried about the reliability of any car with well over 130Kmiles. I've been using it as a second car and I'll have to admit that I was wrong. It has been extremely reliable with nothing done to it but normal maintenance. I recently took it on a 400 mile trip and averaged 38mpg at 70mph. In my opinion it should have no problem making it to 200Kmiles. Even if it doesn't, it has served us well. At nearly 140Kmiles, it uses about a quart of oil between changes, but I'm not complaining about that.

Didn't expect this from Saturn
By sunshinegrrl on 07/17/07 19:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for three years now and I finally have the money to get rid of it and I will! First, it makes an awful rumbling and vibrating when it idles, especially when it's cold. Apparently this is normal for Saturns and there's nothing they could do. Then, due to shoddy design the interior plastic panel under my steering wheel just fell off one day. My spark plugs, brakes, rotors, air conditioner, and now heat sensor on the engine all had to be replaced before 100,000mi and it hasn't been reliable on starting at all! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to be rid of it.