Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Don't buy a 99 Saturn (unless it's mine)
By Esoterica

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My friend maintained this car well. I/we have dumped too much money into replacing the cheap parts they used to manufacure it with. The sunroof was replaced 3x before the warranty ran out and has not worked since. Fuse box, rear axle & complete break system failure. Next rebuild the engine & the car will have been completely gone through. It has the squirreliest steering too.

Favorite Features

All though it blows white smoke & gets stuck in high idle it still gets 28-30 mpg in the city. That's the only thing I can say good about it. Oh, the CD player still works :-)

Suggested Improvements

I totally agree with not manufacturing these cars anymore. I would not dare to drive it too far for fear of getting stranded again.

great first 10 years
By ike

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

Favorite Features

economy, always started

Suggested Improvements

softer armrest, more HP

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

Favorite Features

Paint looks like new, Great Gas Mileage, Reliabily, Great Pickup.

Suggested Improvements

The Fact that I cant buy a new one now.

10 years and very little maintenance req
By Tom

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1999 and have had only the typical maintenance done. Only after all these years is it starting to show some issues. Most of my issues probably are because of the recommended services at 60,000 Miles have yet to be performed while I'm at 72,000 miles. If I were planning on keeping it I'd surely do this. I settled for the extreme basic SL2 model w/o any of the extras. Not even a CD player. I love the car for the daily commute to work and since I have the 5 speed manual transmission it has enough pep when I need it too. I doubt that it would be quite as peppy if it were an auto. trans. Love the car hate what's happening in the auto industry today.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, durability and retention of body appearance. Plastic sides equal zero rust! Looks much newer than it actually is.

Suggested Improvements

Intermittent wipers when it's cold. They either won't work or work sporadically which is a real hassle when there is lots of salt on the road and you need to use washer fluid which also was prone to freezing, which I attribute to quick oil change places using watered down fluid.

NOT happy
By mattm

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...

Favorite Features

cup holder. seriously.