1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan on 06/08/09 21:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

R.I.P. My Best Car Ever
By Barry on 03/20/09 10:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my í99 SL2 used in the summer of í05 and it was even a savage title and had 97K on it. On March 12, 2009 I was hit head on and walked away unhurt thanks to the cars great safety engineering, in that time I put 144,000 more miles on it and it was still running strong, only showing a few signs of slowing down. In that time the only major breakdown was a pin in the transmission came lose and caused a bad leak at around 110K. Since then the alternator (at 230K) oil, breaks and tires, it is by far the best car Iíve ever owned. The only complaint is the headliner started to come down and carbon built up on the window switches and had to be cleaned.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty on 01/28/09 09:18 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I recently Bought my SC2 3 door from a mechanic. The car has 202,000 miles on it runs like a top. It's peppy and comfortable also great on gas. I have 2 Saturns prior to this one. Very cheap to maintain unless the tranny goes..

Reliable and affordable
By l on 01/04/09 12:55 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

Originally purchased for affordable price, gas mileage, reasonable insurance costs associated (especially for a coupe), and reputed low maintenance. All true. Low cost car that lasted 10 years well. Body stills looks stylish and paint looks good. Repairs were genenerally the normal wear and tear, excepting 2 components. 1) the front license plate holder would constantly be knocked off by even the slightest tap of someone parking in a major metropolitan area. I had to have the dealership reattach it 5x before I finally convinced that that the clips were a poor design. 2) the slightest barometric change leads to the engine light going on. Saturn never finds a problem-but inconvenient to me.

Great Little Car
By Busta on 08/21/08 17:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I love my little Saturn. It's my starter car (I'm 17), and I bought it in January 2007 after my grandma's uncle died (it was his) for next to nothing. It's a great little car, and while it's not flashy and it doesn't have a big engine, it gets me where I want to go and it's fairly comfortable. It's very reliable and I get about 380 miles on one tank of gas. I was rearended last month while driving my Saturn, and a Honda Accord was the car that hit me. The front end of the Accord was bashed in and the hood crumpled, but the only damage I had was a small scratch in the paint on my bumper. Shows that I've got an awesome little car here! I love this thing and am taking it to college with me.

Fine car for 4 buck gas
By Chaz on 08/15/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I purchased this car for my then college kid daughter. I've been driving it for 4 years and love the 38mpg economy. Maintenance costs are average for Vermont with our horrible roads. So far so good with no engine work or transmission costs. As you would expect with a car this small, long trips are a pain in the usual spots. 107k miles and counting.

Amazing!
By Dreams4gotten on 07/30/08 16:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I just recently bought this car from a small used car dealership here in my area with a few minor mechanical issues. It had 12000 miles on it and only repair I've had to have had done was a new transmission. Ever since then this car has been there for me at any time! Mileage is great and the third door is great for getting my infants seat in and out without much difficulty at all. Repairs are affordable for the vehicle too! Only problem I can really find with this car is the shape of the backseats. They aren't the most comfortable.

Very Reliable
By Lumens66 on 07/20/08 15:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used in 08/99 with 5K miles on it and modified the car (exhaust system, muffler, air intake, ignition system, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires). This reduced the mileage a little bit, but living in a city, I routinely get about 25 MPG. Only things I ever had replaced were a falty crank rotation sensor at 30K which only cost $50, and the radiator went at 85K, which cost $400. Other than that, the AC light doesn't come on anymore. Everything else is in tip top shape and I've never had another problem. It still idles under 1K RPM and I only change the oil. I bought it for $10K in '99 and it has more than paid for itself. I don't think there is an American car more reliable.

Hard to believe
By stan on 05/28/08 07:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I can't believe after 9 1/2 years I am still driving this car. It remains as reliable as the day I bought it. No mechanical problems ever with this car. The only thing it requires is an extra quart of high mileage oil between every oil change. It has been in two very minor accidents and keeps on going. I have saved a great deal of money by owning this car. The gas mileage has remained great with 40+ on the highway and 35 in the city. I have 181,000 miles and am confident it will make it to 200,000 + before there is a problem.

A Tough Little Car
By Vicki on 05/14/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I custom ordered my Saturn in May, 1999. This little car has seen some tough times. I've wrecked it twice & it still is around for more! I get 34 mpg (my husband gets 37 mpg since he drives like grandpa jones) & the 5- speed manual is very fun. I love all of the features, traction control, cruise, fog lights. Everyone thinks my car is newer than it is! It's showing signs of age, though, it creaks & rattles like most old folks & the sunroof brackets have worn out. But other than normal wear & tear and routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the oxygen sensor since I've owned it. Definitely got my money's worth!