Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

This car has served me well
By Degs

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I've had my Saturn for 6 years now, and am just now considering selling it because I need a bigger car. I have literally driven this car across the country and back, in the summer and winter, through mountains and desert and never had a problem. This car has been my baby and I've taken very good care of it. At around 125,000 miles I had the brakes replaced, and about 1000 miles later had to replace the heater core and thermostat. It has about 130,000 miles on it now and it needs a new front wheel bearing. The engine, transmission, clutch and exhaust have never given me any problems and still have no signs of wearing out. This has been a fun but reliable car for me, and I'll miss driving it.

Favorite Features

I drove 2100 miles for $150 when gas was about $3.50/gallon. This car has insane fuel economy when you use cruise control. Having plastic parts actually prevented this car from getting some serious body damage. It's been hit 4 times while parked, but only has some scratches to show for it.

Suggested Improvements

The seats aren't very comfortable. Marathon driving like I used to do gets pretty uncomfortable. Also, the interior is pretty cheap and easily damaged.

=)
By Michelle

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned! great gas mileage, no major problems, 182,000 miles and still going strong.

Favorite Features

mpg.

The most reliable car I've ever owned
By Prim

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I drive short hops. This is hard on cars, I know. Prior to this I had a VW which I loved. It was fun. My SL1 isn't as much fun. But it just goes, day in and day out. I get about 30 mph. I've only had one --one!-- problem and that was only a matter of needing a tune up. I am so sorry Saturn was shut down. I personally think they had the best of all the American cars. So sad.

Favorite Features

It always goes -- no worries. Turn the key and go.

Suggested Improvements

This particular model is very low to the ground. Harder to get out of, eleven years later.

What a deal
By karatedaddy

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost exactly 1 year ago today. It had 172,000 on it when I bought it. It now has 202,000. It still runs perfect and shows no signs of quitting! I have only had to do basic maintenance on it. No major mechanical repairs. I travel a lot and the gas mileage is very impressive! I get about 30 in town and about 38 mpg on the highway. If I slow down and run about 65 mph I can get it over 40 mpg. This has been an excellent car. I am hoping it will last until I finish college. I think it will! I paid $2000.00 for it. I think I got a great deal! Too bad they have phased out Saturn. No wonder they have to take government bailouts! They stop building their best cars! Just my opinion!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, leg room, plastic body does not rust

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more power under the hood. It is sufficient, but definitely not a speed demon!

2nd SW2!
By myriadapps

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This is my second Saturn SW2, the other was a 2000 that I drove until I decided I needed a new car, and then I regretted it almost every day. I flew down to Florida and bought this one off the Internet with only 32K, now has 76K and I couldn't be happier. Both this one and my previous one, which I bought at 10K and sold at 150K, never failed to start and only needed standard upkeep (tires, brakes, hoses, etc.). I never had to do a major repair on either one. I like the power and the drivability of the SW2. I am sad that after this one I won't be able to get a replacement, the newer Saturns just weren't as good and of course now you can't get them at all.

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, excellent paint and exterior

Suggested Improvements

Poor placement of cup holders (and not enough), headliners don't last