1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
This car has served me well
By Degs on 07/26/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I've had my Saturn for 6 years now, and am just now considering selling it because I need a bigger car. I have literally driven this car across the country and back, in the summer and winter, through mountains and desert and never had a problem. This car has been my baby and I've taken very good care of it. At around 125,000 miles I had the brakes replaced, and about 1000 miles later had to replace the heater core and thermostat. It has about 130,000 miles on it now and it needs a new front wheel bearing. The engine, transmission, clutch and exhaust have never given me any problems and still have no signs of wearing out. This has been a fun but reliable car for me, and I'll miss driving it.

=)
By Michelle on 05/25/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Best car I've ever owned! great gas mileage, no major problems, 182,000 miles and still going strong.

The most reliable car I've ever owned
By Prim on 05/24/10 09:38 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I drive short hops. This is hard on cars, I know. Prior to this I had a VW which I loved. It was fun. My SL1 isn't as much fun. But it just goes, day in and day out. I get about 30 mph. I've only had one --one!-- problem and that was only a matter of needing a tune up. I am so sorry Saturn was shut down. I personally think they had the best of all the American cars. So sad.

What a deal
By karatedaddy on 04/09/10 07:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I bought this car almost exactly 1 year ago today. It had 172,000 on it when I bought it. It now has 202,000. It still runs perfect and shows no signs of quitting! I have only had to do basic maintenance on it. No major mechanical repairs. I travel a lot and the gas mileage is very impressive! I get about 30 in town and about 38 mpg on the highway. If I slow down and run about 65 mph I can get it over 40 mpg. This has been an excellent car. I am hoping it will last until I finish college. I think it will! I paid $2000.00 for it. I think I got a great deal! Too bad they have phased out Saturn. No wonder they have to take government bailouts! They stop building their best cars! Just my opinion!

2nd SW2!
By myriadapps on 03/23/10 05:55 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This is my second Saturn SW2, the other was a 2000 that I drove until I decided I needed a new car, and then I regretted it almost every day. I flew down to Florida and bought this one off the Internet with only 32K, now has 76K and I couldn't be happier. Both this one and my previous one, which I bought at 10K and sold at 150K, never failed to start and only needed standard upkeep (tires, brakes, hoses, etc.). I never had to do a major repair on either one. I like the power and the drivability of the SW2. I am sad that after this one I won't be able to get a replacement, the newer Saturns just weren't as good and of course now you can't get them at all.

Don't buy a 99 Saturn (unless it's mine)
By Esoterica on 02/08/10 08:50 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My friend maintained this car well. I/we have dumped too much money into replacing the cheap parts they used to manufacure it with. The sunroof was replaced 3x before the warranty ran out and has not worked since. Fuse box, rear axle & complete break system failure. Next rebuild the engine & the car will have been completely gone through. It has the squirreliest steering too.

great first 10 years
By ike on 10/04/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo on 10/01/09 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

10 years and very little maintenance req
By Tom on 08/06/09 21:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Bought the car new in 1999 and have had only the typical maintenance done. Only after all these years is it starting to show some issues. Most of my issues probably are because of the recommended services at 60,000 Miles have yet to be performed while I'm at 72,000 miles. If I were planning on keeping it I'd surely do this. I settled for the extreme basic SL2 model w/o any of the extras. Not even a CD player. I love the car for the daily commute to work and since I have the 5 speed manual transmission it has enough pep when I need it too. I doubt that it would be quite as peppy if it were an auto. trans. Love the car hate what's happening in the auto industry today.

NOT happy
By mattm on 06/25/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...