1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Too many problems
By on the fence on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

At 31,000 miles we have twice run low to no oil between oil changes! The dealer can't explain why. My hope is that the engine has no permanent damage. We are currently performing an oil consumption test where we go in every 1,000 mile so they can check if it's down any oil./ We have a click in the clutch that the dealer can't detect./ We have two adults in our family and two children, one of whom is a teenager, and driving with all four of us in the car at once is definitely not a comfortable experience. The back seat has too little leg room. / The exterior paint of the car looks much duller than our Taurus '94 Wagon. /

Stay Away from SC1's! ! !
By lil' bit on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I bought my car around Feb. '01 because it was sporty looking. I wanted to get rid of it by that summer. Good gas mileage, terrible get up & go, uncomfortable, and depressing resale value for the options on it. Around 55,000 miles I had to have $1300 worth of work done to it (none of with was my fault). I will never ever buy another Saturn in my life.

Good car
By pito140 on 08/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I live in New York City and I drove this car to Florida 4 times. I had no problems at all. The only complain I have is that it burns oil between oil changes(about 1/2 quart). Saturn told me this is normal because the car has a metal timing belt, instead of a rubber one.I don't know if this is true, but it annoys me.Besides that, it runs perfectly.I trust this car with my life.I NEVER, NEVER had any major problem with it, and it has 60000 miles already.If you want reliability and affordability, this is the car for you.

Five star four cylinder go-getter
By Cougar on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Everything one could want in regards to an economic vehicle that is refined and peppy.

I'll never purchase another Saturn
By jasper on 07/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

My Saturn SL2 has had many problems over the 4 years that I have owned it. It has stranded me 2 times, luckily in safe neighborhoods. The plastic parts on the interior and exterior are eaisly broken (dome light has broken twice, misc lights on car have fallen out due to broken plastic, knobs, consoles, dash, etc have all broken). The A/C has broken 3 times, all for different reasons. All 4 power windows have broken at different times. The Saturn dealerships are just like any other when it comes to repairs: you bought it, now its your problem, not ours. On the other hand, I've owned several foreign vehicles and had very few problems.

BEST CAR EVER!
By HI-MILER on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

FROM THE EASE-OF-SERVICE TO THE MILEAGE, COMFORT, FEATURES, AND COST OF OPERATION, IT'S THE BEST . . .

How important is reliablity?
By ScottFromCA on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn used, it is a very reliable car. Haven't had any problems with it yet. On the other hand I can notice the difference between this car and a foreign one, the refinement is just not there. I would not by this car new.

Love my Saturn
By planet1 on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I drove four days, California to Kentucky, and was comfortable the whole time. Stopped only at night and once during day for gas and food; was not exhausted at end of the day. I got the 5-speed manual transmission, and the feel of driving a sports car without the higher cost of a sports car. Insurance cost reflects safety and reliability of Saturn. I have averaged over 40 miles per gallon on long trips where I used cruise control.

SC2 3Door - good for <18K
By jmp0505 on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

The SC2 was my second Saturn and although it's a good, reliable car, I did have more "problems" of an annoying, minor sort, with the SC2 than I did with my original SL, which gave me no problems. That said, the SC2 is a fun car to drive - for a smaller vehicle, it has a lot of pick-up (manual transmission) - doing a lot of highway driving, that was a big plus. 10 CD changer in the trunk was a smart investment as well!

For the money, nothing better
By sliceojess on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

I needed a car that was wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg and could be equipped the way I wanted it and not have some package I didn't need. This car is a dream! It never costs a lot of money to fill the tank, gets great milage, and maintenance is so easy (no timing belt to change!).