Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Great Commuter Car
By cottie

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to get me through college in 2001 with only 17,158 miles on it. Fast Forward four years later I have 136k. I replaced it with a VUE Redline. Cheap car to operate, Cheap car to fix, The major repairs came in a shifter cable (135k) and a Clutch 120k (1st Replacement Clutch) The air still blows cold, and it still gets 36mpg on the highway.

Low cost maintence, gas mileage, plastic body panels

Needs more acceleration (ION fits that bill) could be a bit bigger on the inside.

Mediocre on a good day
By DrivinNCryin

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car can be, at best, described as decidedly average. It is far too loud (road noise), has almost no engine power to handle hills, and is a mess to maintain. Our Saturn had a major computer breakdown @ 9,000 miles. We have been back to dealerships several times for recurring problems, and in general, internal things just seem to break more often on this car than other cars. Dealerships have often been less than helpful and I don't believe they've always been truly honest at inspection time. I guess it's been an OK value but the car has just been a headache. I've learned my lesson and now spend more money for better made cars which I enjoy driving and are put together well.

I will say this -- the car seems to be getting stronger with age. We have 85K miles on it and the last twenty were probably better than the first twenty. Mileage is good, and externally, the car still looks sharp. Paint has held up well and she cleans up nicely.

Quiter, smoother ride, more power in the engine, more reliable, internal components which don't break as much. Saturns are fine cars for someone fresh out of college or someone on a fixed pension but that's about it. This car can't be counted on--spend a few extra $$ and get a good car.

1999 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC
By insomnicide

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

When I first test drove my car, I made a point to see its performance capabilities. I was neither impressed or unimpressed, until the tach hit 4000, and I was hooked. This car is fun to drive. I am currently building this car to race in SCCA solo 2 competition. I love the exterior styling. The interior is simple but not the most sturdy design. The car gets great gas mileage, especially on the highway. Comfort is decent, but my back has started to hurt after a trip of more than five hours. This car has never broken down on me in the time i've owned it. Overall build quality is pretty decent. I like the polymer body panels. Also, it is extremely easy to work on. All in all, it's a great car.

Fun to drive. Good base to build on for performance in the 1.9L DOHC. Simple and uncomplicated. Very light (2450ish pounds). Solid handling with good road feel. I've been in one low speed accident with this car and virtually no damage. I'm impressed with the polymer panels.

A little more durability in the latches and handles. Also, the frame could be made a little more solid.

Very happy after 172,000 miles
By marklaken

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car has been completely trouble free up until last week. I would say my maintenance has been poor at best. I've run it on nearly empty oil, I only have changed the auto tranny fluid once. The brakes have been repaired twice. I've switched spark plugs 3 times now, and plug wires once. That is it for maintenance. It has 172,000 miles on it! (mostly highway driving I think it cost me $16,000 new. They have incredibly poor resale value, which is beyond me, but i will definitely try and land another used one to replace this one. I am currently trying to solve its first major problem, an injection issue. It is also easy to work on!
A great work car, commuter car or first car. It also holds a bit more than most sedans, comes in handy when you buy a washing machine, dryer or big TV.

Reliabilty, fuel economy, and not too nice to worry about banging up.

The rear seat half folding down is a joke. There is this bar that is in the way (for side impact safety) All the seats are very uncomfortable after about 1 hour of driving, worse than any other car I've ever been in.

Great little commuter car
By MNCommuter

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is a great little commuter car. It handles very well, has decent power, and doesn't have the rust issue other vehicles have in Minnesota. It's also very comfortable for a small car.

Handling, visability, comfort, smooth shifting four speed automatic transmission, plastic doors and fenders, very good gas mileage, over 35 MPG combined city- highway.

Engine noise has improved from pervious models, but road noice can be a bit bothersome. Virtually impossible to change one's own oil. Oil filter impossible to reach without jacking up the vehicle and still it's hard to keep from getting oil all over. Plastic interior a bit cheap.