Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-series - Consumer Reviews

1999 Saturn S-Series

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

1999 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC
By insomnicide

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

When I first test drove my car, I made a point to see its performance capabilities. I was neither impressed or unimpressed, until the tach hit 4000, and I was hooked. This car is fun to drive. I am currently building this car to race in SCCA solo 2 competition. I love the exterior styling. The interior is simple but not the most sturdy design. The car gets great gas mileage, especially on the highway. Comfort is decent, but my back has started to hurt after a trip of more than five hours. This car has never broken down on me in the time i've owned it. Overall build quality is pretty decent. I like the polymer body panels. Also, it is extremely easy to work on. All in all, it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Good base to build on for performance in the 1.9L DOHC. Simple and uncomplicated. Very light (2450ish pounds). Solid handling with good road feel. I've been in one low speed accident with this car and virtually no damage. I'm impressed with the polymer panels.

Suggested Improvements

A little more durability in the latches and handles. Also, the frame could be made a little more solid.

Very happy after 172,000 miles
By marklaken

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car has been completely trouble free up until last week. I would say my maintenance has been poor at best. I've run it on nearly empty oil, I only have changed the auto tranny fluid once. The brakes have been repaired twice. I've switched spark plugs 3 times now, and plug wires once. That is it for maintenance. It has 172,000 miles on it! (mostly highway driving I think it cost me $16,000 new. They have incredibly poor resale value, which is beyond me, but i will definitely try and land another used one to replace this one. I am currently trying to solve its first major problem, an injection issue. It is also easy to work on! A great work car, commuter car or first car. It also holds a bit more than most sedans, comes in handy when you buy a washing machine, dryer or big TV.

Favorite Features

Reliabilty, fuel economy, and not too nice to worry about banging up.

Suggested Improvements

The rear seat half folding down is a joke. There is this bar that is in the way (for side impact safety) All the seats are very uncomfortable after about 1 hour of driving, worse than any other car I've ever been in.

Great little commuter car
By MNCommuter

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This is a great little commuter car. It handles very well, has decent power, and doesn't have the rust issue other vehicles have in Minnesota. It's also very comfortable for a small car.

Favorite Features

Handling, visability, comfort, smooth shifting four speed automatic transmission, plastic doors and fenders, very good gas mileage, over 35 MPG combined city- highway.

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise has improved from pervious models, but road noice can be a bit bothersome. Virtually impossible to change one's own oil. Oil filter impossible to reach without jacking up the vehicle and still it's hard to keep from getting oil all over. Plastic interior a bit cheap.

Great car, very rare
By S-Series

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car has very good reliability. I bought it used from Saturn, and I'm very happy with it. It's great for putting big things in the back. Its very rare to find one that has low mileage and is close to your area. The car is great in reliability and has great build quality. I would definitely recommend the SW2 to anybody. Overall I am very pleased with it.

Favorite Features

Cupholders, comfort, keyless entry. Reliability and build quality. Stainless steel exhaust, and a hatch to fit big items.

Suggested Improvements

Automatic headlights, and alloy wheels.

Great Commuter
By plev

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Great car as a commuter vehicle. Gas mileage is around 26. Would not recommend for long halls. Wish it had more power. Had to replace the exhaust resonator twice in this car. Was told it was a wear out item and not covered by the extended warranty. Poor power window mechanisms.

Favorite Features

Center console and gauge cluster. Very easy to read and use. Split rear folding seats.

Suggested Improvements

Brake system... had to replace brakes 3 times already. Cup holders hard to use with larger drinks with automatic transmission shifter. Power window mechanics design.