Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Can't find anything to break!
By Drew

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I like to modify my cars, but I can't bring myself to do it until something breaks. I've had this car for almost 2 years, and I haven't had to replace anything but the battery and the exhaust ( The exhaust wasn't broken, but I decided to hop it up anyways). I have owned 7 cars, and this one is better than a '99 Civic, '92 Olds, 2001 Focus, or even a '91 Camaro. This was the smartest car buy I have made yet.

Acceleration can match an IROC-Z Camaro, third door still draws attention, engine smoothness and durability, interior simplicity,

It could be a little bit bigger, but other than that, I can't find anything wrong with it.

What do you expect for under $18,000
By subdivisons

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

Bought this car as a holdover in Dec. of 1999. Had a $1000 or $1500 rebate. I think the total price was around $17,500. Got all the "upgrades" (leather, stereo, keyless, power package, etc.) Overall it's a good car, haven't had any real problems. One thing that has been an ongoing "nag" ... for about the last year it has had a minor hiccup when running, not really a miss, just not as smooth. The dealer has run several diagnostics but has found nothing wrong. It's due for a tuneup, and could be that simple (maybe). Only other knock about the car is the interior materials ... very cheap, lots of plastic. But then, what do you expect for under $18,000. Overall, great car for a teenager.

-Interesting styling, not for everyone though. -Good fuel economy -"Decent" seat feel with lateral support. -Overall, pretty good fun to drive rating -Low price!

-Wider tires, the factory tires are way too narrow. Wider would help with handling -Gearbox is kind of clunky. -Acceleration, I disagree with other comments that say it's good. I would say "fair" at best. -Doesn't hold it's value at all. -Better interior materials, not all plastic.

Most dependable cars ever made
By Michael

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

I just purchased this SW2. It only has 64000 miles, but I anticipate putting many more on it. I have a 1993 Saturn SL1 with almost 240000 miles (original engine and trans). The only things I've replaced are 2 tensioner pulleys, 2 alternators, 1 water pump just recently and front wheel bearings at 190000 miles. I expect to get the same reliability from this car as well considering the only difference mechanically is the twin cam engine (the SL1 is a single cam). You cannot find a better car that gets such good gas mileage at a better price (30- 36mpg regular driving and 44mpg best ever on a road trip on the SL1). If you find one, BUY IT! I only paid $5200 with a 3,000 mi./3 month warranty.

Reliability, gas mileage, affordability

The new Saturn's with the new 2.2 liter engines are not proven yet and they won't get as good gas mileage as the no longer available S-series cars. The only improvement needed is to bring the S-series back.

Great Commuter Car
By cottie

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to get me through college in 2001 with only 17,158 miles on it. Fast Forward four years later I have 136k. I replaced it with a VUE Redline. Cheap car to operate, Cheap car to fix, The major repairs came in a shifter cable (135k) and a Clutch 120k (1st Replacement Clutch) The air still blows cold, and it still gets 36mpg on the highway.

Low cost maintence, gas mileage, plastic body panels

Needs more acceleration (ION fits that bill) could be a bit bigger on the inside.

Mediocre on a good day
By DrivinNCryin

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This car can be, at best, described as decidedly average. It is far too loud (road noise), has almost no engine power to handle hills, and is a mess to maintain. Our Saturn had a major computer breakdown @ 9,000 miles. We have been back to dealerships several times for recurring problems, and in general, internal things just seem to break more often on this car than other cars. Dealerships have often been less than helpful and I don't believe they've always been truly honest at inspection time. I guess it's been an OK value but the car has just been a headache. I've learned my lesson and now spend more money for better made cars which I enjoy driving and are put together well.

I will say this -- the car seems to be getting stronger with age. We have 85K miles on it and the last twenty were probably better than the first twenty. Mileage is good, and externally, the car still looks sharp. Paint has held up well and she cleans up nicely.

Quiter, smoother ride, more power in the engine, more reliable, internal components which don't break as much. Saturns are fine cars for someone fresh out of college or someone on a fixed pension but that's about it. This car can't be counted on--spend a few extra $$ and get a good car.