1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
I Love my Car!!!!!
By sweatin in texas on 07/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 2dr Coupe

I have had the best time driving around in my car, it has plenty of power and design. I think it is cute looking as well as sporty, and the inside is cozy.

Very Reliable, Great Price
By jaster on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for four years now, and the worst problem I've had is the fuse for the cigarette lighter went out (which I probably did plugging a CD player into it). 2-second self fix. In addition to my daily commute, I've driven this car from New Orleans to Chicago and back non-stop, and about 10 times back and forth from New Orleans to Dallas. Comfortable, easy-to-drive, and ridiculously reliable.

The hornet
By Carfan on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

Time to trade-in the buzzy green hornet for a real car. High's first: handles the curves unexpectedly well, almost fun. 50K and no mechanical problems. Good gas mileage. Lows: horrible build quality. None of the interior peices fit together. Every piece of the dash is a slightly different color. Everything rattles. A/C off ="turbo-boost" . Manual trany very really sloppy. Seats and stock tires suck. Very noisy. Stereo's not good. Cheap metal window frame covers keep rusting. 3/ 4" gap around the driver's door, 1/4" for passenger's. Seat belt retracter and dome light came DOA. Also came with a hole in the exhaust from an incomplete weld.

This car sucks!!!!
By gemini77 on 05/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

I bought this car right off the lot in 1999. It had 22 miles on it. From sept. 1999 to May 2003, I have put about $10,000 worth of maintance into this car. Recently, I paid $2,500 to AAMCO to fix a transmission that the mechanics at saturn said had nothing wrong with it. This car is a piece of crap, saturn is a piece of crap and I will never buy another saturn!!!!!!!!!!

The car is great, the dealer is not!
By Holland on 04/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

We purchased our Saturn and when we went to pick it up, the underbody package and scotch-guarding we paid for was not done and the dealer was set to let us drive it off the lot without doing the work. All I will say is..POOR SERVICE! - low fuel light does not work and our Saturn dealer said they fixed it but did not and a few other minor electrical issues. Solid Car - Thank heaven for dent- proof side panels. Saved lots of cash. Rear bumper construction solid as well. Backing into a cement barrier, crushed in the corner of the bumper...temporarily. Over a period of 5 minutes, it slowly reformed into it's normal position, leaving only a scuff.

Saturn SL2
By jncoombs on 03/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Good choice for small sedan. Mine has been reliable, fuel efficient, and is very cheap to insure. Excellent reliability. Best dealer network in the business. Plastic sides prevent door dings and rust in New England.

Efficient and Comfortable Enough
By john.glasscock on 03/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

Slept in car going/returning 1200mi to save money. Comfortable and restful enough for a powerdrive. I get 40 mpg hwy and 30 city. Manual transmission helps. Power and handling are great-- better than most cars with larger engines. I chose Saturn for the first car I bought new because 1)it has the highest US/North American content of any car; 2) I liked the quirky adverts; and 3) by 1999 Saturn had worked out the problems of excessive interior noise. Now that my wife's Honda Civic needs to be retired, it is VERY difficult to consider any other automaker. I have had no problems with this car and change oil every 3k miles.

Should've bought a Honda
By asa_bagadonuts on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC1 3dr Coupe

My car was not put together well. There were rattles and hums from the beginning which is a bad sign in a brand new car. The interior is cramped, but I knew that before I bought it. The third door is nice if you are not parked in a tight spot. This car is not a sports car by any means and suffers significant body roll when turning. I bought the car because of safety features and it did hold up well in an accident with a 9 month pregnant wife. Insurance is cheaper than other cars in its class. Overall, I still wish I bought a Honda.

Excellent Car
By GatorBone22 on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

This car is awesome. It has been very reliable so far and sips gas. The styling inside and out us great and the quality is overall very good, especially on mechanical components. My only complaint is that there is no glare matrix on the windshield.

Best Buy, Hands Down
By JOHNBQUICK on 02/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

This was the easiest purchase I ever made. The car is extremely reliable. The inside is very well designed and the dash and surrounding instruments almost surround you like a cockpit. Saturn dealerships are very handy to go to when something is wrong. Most things I had go wrong, they covered on warranty. Even when I went past my warranty, they did replace a part for free. Overall, the car handles well. This car is now almost 4 yrs old, but it drives very well and I have had no moderate to major repair work needed yet. I have driven over 52000 miles in it.