Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

Buying again
By sheff

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I cannot speak highly enough about this car . I bought it used with 44,500 miles on it. It is loaded with everything. I had a fuse block problem and that has been it until recently. It now has 150,000 + miles on it and I am looking at about a $700 repair as the rear main oil pan seal has completely worn away. I am looking to get another used saturn from the same dealership. Even with the oil issue at present I still get 30+ mpg. This has been a good, solid, reliable, and fun car. I cannot say enough about it or the dealership and its people!

Moonroof

Would buy again!
By John

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Spring of 2001. It had almost 45,000 mles and came loaded. While it was a little more than I wanted to spend at the time due to all of the extras it has been worth every penny! It has had one "expensive" repair (fuse block) and an exhaust repair; it is now in need of a new rear main oil pan repair as gasket is completely worn away. It has been a great car and I will probably shell out the bucks for this repair. It now has over 150,000 miles on it and I am currently getting 30-34 mpg! It has been the best and most reliable car I have owned. Twin cam engine is a plus also

A little quieter perhaps

Best In Class for Cargo Space & Mileage
By Paul M.

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

My Saturn SW2 wagon has been the perfect car for me, it has the best combination of cargo space and gas mileage of any car I have researched. It may not be the fastest car on the road from 0 to 60, but it meets all of my needs. I have done nothing to the car other than change the oil (every 4000 miles or so), change the tires (only once), and had to change the battery once. The car runs like a dream and even did a cross country trip fully loaded with no problems.

Without a doubt, perfect balance of cargo space and gas mileage (best in class by far).

Start making it again! Saturn now only makes the larger L-series wagon.

Fun little car
By jenny

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

Fun little car. Great gas mileage. Very reliable. Easy to maintain. Good car for a younger drive.

All Plastic=NO Rust.

Great model. Too bad it was discontinued.

Won't Buy Another Saturn
By stephmi

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I come from a Saturn family. My father has bought four of them since 1993. I loved driving his car in high school, so I bought one for myself. Since then, my brother bought a newer model as well. We both have been burdened with our cars. His car's engine blew after 36000 miles. I have replaced the brakes, four power window motors, the motor on my wipers, and now a transmission. The car sounds awful and runs worse. What you do manage to save on gas mileage you will spend on oil. My car needs to have a quart of oil replaced every 1000 miles. Three times a year I have to take the alloy wheels in to be have them ground down because the corosion causes my tires to lose pressure.

Gas mileage and the plastic body. I never have to worry about it rusting.

The problems that I listed in my review are not unique. Check out other customer reviews on the web and you'll find that the same things happen over and over, and yet Saturn doesn't offer a recall on any of them! My dad's '93 is still running great. Too bad they changed the way they do business.