1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
Economical, fair value.
By wingfield on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Some unexpected maintenance is a reminder that this is a cheaply made car: - air conditionerleaked after 3 years - front wheel bearings went after 3.5 years. - burns oil, 2 qts/3000mi. - front disc brake seized on hub, could not remove without damage. - both rear passenger courtesy handles came off. -radio cassette conked after only 2 years Other design problems are a poor standard gearbox - often hard to find reverse, front seating is loose, and the seats are very uncomfortable for long rides. The Saturn dealer in our area has rates >$10/hr more than competition which makes repairs expensive.

sw2 99 Texas
By cora on 10/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW2 4dr Wagon

This car is reliable and economic as far as fuel goes. It is comfortable for the kids as well. We drove from Texas to Illinois and back without a problem. And the space in the back of the wagon fits lots of things. I would reccomended.

....
By hsahklklh on 10/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 3dr Coupe

Absolutely wonderful car. Never a problem with it. Just a little uncomfortable if riding in the back seat.

Reliable and Economical
By DriverMike on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I commute 80 miles one way to work 2-3 times a week. I now have almost 90K on this car and have had no major problems. I have been through one set of tires, one set of brakes, and two serpentine belts. I was also rear-ended pretty hard and only had a small dent in the bumper. Other than the rear passenger window not always going up, everything else still functions fine. The seating is a little low, there are no armrests and the brakes grab lower than I like. The dash vibrates a little on a cold start. All in all, I am quite satisfied and hope to get 150K on this car without breaking my wallet.

Inexpensive, reliable, capable
By rwagner on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SW1 4dr Wagon

I bought the right car for the wrong reason -- to get traction control. It has proved to be trouble free, reliable, good cargo hauler, good external appearance with little care, very good gas mileage (40 mpg), cruises at 80-85 with no difficulty.

Awesome!
By JenAnn on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I love this car. The only problem is a piece of black plastic that hangs below the car to keep the engine cool, it's easy to hit that on something & completely lose the thing (yes, I did do that).

Great Car/Drinks oil @ 45k
By sillyc on 08/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

We have owned our SL1 for 3 years. My major complaint is, that it uses oil when I drive it, but when my wife drives it, it does not. The primary reason it burns oil when I drive it, is because my shoe has a big lead weight in it :) My friend has the same problem with his 96 sl2. Not a good car if you are over 6ft tall, the seats don't go back far enough.

'99 SC2: Good, but not great.
By handa700 on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SC2 2dr Coupe

It's ok for the money, but don't expect to get the same quality that you would in a Buick. Furthermore,the depreciation is pretty gruesome when compared to a Honda Civic.

Love my Saturn!
By HeatherS on 08/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL2 4dr Sedan

I bought my Saturn used...and I love it. It was purchased through a Saturn dealer, which was an advantage, because they could show me ALL of the maintenance records from the previous owners (the records are stored in Saturn's computers and stay with the car through transfer of ownership). I have had NO problems with my car, and would highly recommend to anyone that they purchase one. My husband also owns a Saturn S-Series, and has had no problems with his

Very reliable used car
By saturnmass on 07/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series SL1 4dr Sedan

This is a great car for someone who doesn't need lots of space. I have owned the car for 2 years and am sad to see it go...just not big enough for growing family! The only work that I have done on car is upkeep(brakes, oil change, etc.).