1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:
To Start, or not to Start, that is the question...
By krad007 on 05/03/12 07:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe

I just bought a 1999 SC2 automatic coupe. It's a good little car, and hopefully will get me through a rough patch in my life. However, in approximately 1 out of every 5 starts, it won't. It behaves as if the battery is dead. The dealer I bought it from has replaced the battery, as well as the starter, and the problem remains. He did this on the advice of two auto technicians, and it was tested prior to doing so. I didn't have this issue on my 2003 L200, which was totaled in an accident in February :( I have the owners manual out in my front seat, and am doing what it tells me to do when I start it and when I park it. Any ideas? No car, no work for me!:( Thank you.

This car has served me well
By Degs on 07/26/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I've had my Saturn for 6 years now, and am just now considering selling it because I need a bigger car. I have literally driven this car across the country and back, in the summer and winter, through mountains and desert and never had a problem. This car has been my baby and I've taken very good care of it. At around 125,000 miles I had the brakes replaced, and about 1000 miles later had to replace the heater core and thermostat. It has about 130,000 miles on it now and it needs a new front wheel bearing. The engine, transmission, clutch and exhaust have never given me any problems and still have no signs of wearing out. This has been a fun but reliable car for me, and I'll miss driving it.

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo on 10/01/09 06:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

NOT happy
By mattm on 06/25/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty on 01/28/09 09:18 AM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I recently Bought my SC2 3 door from a mechanic. The car has 202,000 miles on it runs like a top. It's peppy and comfortable also great on gas. I have 2 Saturns prior to this one. Very cheap to maintain unless the tranny goes..

Reliable and affordable
By l on 01/04/09 12:55 PM (PST)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe

Originally purchased for affordable price, gas mileage, reasonable insurance costs associated (especially for a coupe), and reputed low maintenance. All true. Low cost car that lasted 10 years well. Body stills looks stylish and paint looks good. Repairs were genenerally the normal wear and tear, excepting 2 components. 1) the front license plate holder would constantly be knocked off by even the slightest tap of someone parking in a major metropolitan area. I had to have the dealership reattach it 5x before I finally convinced that that the clips were a poor design. 2) the slightest barometric change leads to the engine light going on. Saturn never finds a problem-but inconvenient to me.

Fine car for 4 buck gas
By Chaz on 08/15/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe

I purchased this car for my then college kid daughter. I've been driving it for 4 years and love the 38mpg economy. Maintenance costs are average for Vermont with our horrible roads. So far so good with no engine work or transmission costs. As you would expect with a car this small, long trips are a pain in the usual spots. 107k miles and counting.

Amazing!
By Dreams4gotten on 07/30/08 16:22 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I just recently bought this car from a small used car dealership here in my area with a few minor mechanical issues. It had 12000 miles on it and only repair I've had to have had done was a new transmission. Ever since then this car has been there for me at any time! Mileage is great and the third door is great for getting my infants seat in and out without much difficulty at all. Repairs are affordable for the vehicle too! Only problem I can really find with this car is the shape of the backseats. They aren't the most comfortable.

Very Reliable
By Lumens66 on 07/20/08 15:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 2dr Coupe

Bought this car used in 08/99 with 5K miles on it and modified the car (exhaust system, muffler, air intake, ignition system, brakes, suspension, wheels and tires). This reduced the mileage a little bit, but living in a city, I routinely get about 25 MPG. Only things I ever had replaced were a falty crank rotation sensor at 30K which only cost $50, and the radiator went at 85K, which cost $400. Other than that, the AC light doesn't come on anymore. Everything else is in tip top shape and I've never had another problem. It still idles under 1K RPM and I only change the oil. I bought it for $10K in '99 and it has more than paid for itself. I don't think there is an American car more reliable.

A Tough Little Car
By Vicki on 05/14/08 22:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I custom ordered my Saturn in May, 1999. This little car has seen some tough times. I've wrecked it twice & it still is around for more! I get 34 mpg (my husband gets 37 mpg since he drives like grandpa jones) & the 5- speed manual is very fun. I love all of the features, traction control, cruise, fog lights. Everyone thinks my car is newer than it is! It's showing signs of age, though, it creaks & rattles like most old folks & the sunroof brackets have worn out. But other than normal wear & tear and routine maintenance, I've only had to replace the oxygen sensor since I've owned it. Definitely got my money's worth!

1 2 3 4 5 next »