Used 1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

To Start, or not to Start, that is the question...
By krad007

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC1 3dr Coupe

I just bought a 1999 SC2 automatic coupe. It's a good little car, and hopefully will get me through a rough patch in my life. However, in approximately 1 out of every 5 starts, it won't. It behaves as if the battery is dead. The dealer I bought it from has replaced the battery, as well as the starter, and the problem remains. He did this on the advice of two auto technicians, and it was tested prior to doing so. I didn't have this issue on my 2003 L200, which was totaled in an accident in February :( I have the owners manual out in my front seat, and am doing what it tells me to do when I start it and when I park it. Any ideas? No car, no work for me!:( Thank you.

This car has served me well
By Degs

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I've had my Saturn for 6 years now, and am just now considering selling it because I need a bigger car. I have literally driven this car across the country and back, in the summer and winter, through mountains and desert and never had a problem. This car has been my baby and I've taken very good care of it. At around 125,000 miles I had the brakes replaced, and about 1000 miles later had to replace the heater core and thermostat. It has about 130,000 miles on it now and it needs a new front wheel bearing. The engine, transmission, clutch and exhaust have never given me any problems and still have no signs of wearing out. This has been a fun but reliable car for me, and I'll miss driving it.

I drove 2100 miles for $150 when gas was about $3.50/gallon. This car has insane fuel economy when you use cruise control. Having plastic parts actually prevented this car from getting some serious body damage. It's been hit 4 times while parked, but only has some scratches to show for it.

The seats aren't very comfortable. Marathon driving like I used to do gets pretty uncomfortable. Also, the interior is pretty cheap and easily damaged.

Great Car. It Saved 2 lifes.
By Nicky Popo

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 2dr Coupe

Got My Saturn in March 2003 and its one of the Best Cars I have ever ownned. In the 6 1/2 Years I owned this car I only had to Put two new tires on it and got it with 30'000 Miles. While stopped for a turn my 6 month Pregnant wife was rear ended by a van doing 50 mph and pushed into oncoming traffic where she was hit Head on again by a Mercury Grand doing 50. She and the Baby were fine. Bumps, and cuts thats All. I know this car saved her and the Babies Life. This car was a Miracle. I wanted to keep this car forever.

Paint looks like new, Great Gas Mileage, Reliabily, Great Pickup.

The Fact that I cant buy a new one now.

NOT happy
By mattm

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

My SC2, which I bought new in '99, has had leaking gaskets from day one...first the 3rd door gasket leaked, which was replaced, and the trunk gasket has leaked since '00. I've been driving around w/a trunk full of water for about 8 years now...the moonroof motor stopped working about 5 years ago...windshield wipers have been replaced twice...(not the blades, that would be petty...)the wiper arms strip where they're connected, so the motor runs, but the wiper blades don't. buy a honda or something reliable...

cup holder. seriously.

Black Beauty
By My Black Beauty

1999 Saturn S-Series Coupe SC2 3dr Coupe

I recently Bought my SC2 3 door from a mechanic. The car has 202,000 miles on it runs like a top. It's peppy and comfortable also great on gas. I have 2 Saturns prior to this one. Very cheap to maintain unless the tranny goes..

Sunroof, leather seats. 3rd door and trunk space

Tires could have been wider and also maybe the weight of the vehicle could have improved in snowy conditions. Watch out for the transmission around 200k