Used 1999 Saturn S-Series SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Saturn S-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-Series model:

great first 10 years
By ike

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Best small car ever owned first 10 years can still hit 40 mpg at 60 mph without air on, a-c always works, at 104000 and 10 years old, needed new head 2 grand to put in, later in year 11 a coolant sensor $ 200

economy, always started

softer armrest, more HP

Hard to believe- 200,000 follow up.
By Stan

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in Dec of 98. It now has 202,000 miles and has never had a mechanical problem. Still gets great gas mileage. Uses a quart of oil between changes. This model was a bottom of the line Saturn with no features. I bought it because I could afford it. Now I can afford almost any car I want but I refuse to get a new car until this one dies. From the looks of it I don't think it will be any time soon. Friends are starting to make fun of my old Saturn but that just makes me more determined to keep it. I wish Saturn had been more successful in the long run. They did make a great product.

Trunk Space and Mileage.

Armrest still uncomfortable.

Hard to believe
By stan

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I can't believe after 9 1/2 years I am still driving this car. It remains as reliable as the day I bought it. No mechanical problems ever with this car. The only thing it requires is an extra quart of high mileage oil between every oil change. It has been in two very minor accidents and keeps on going. I have saved a great deal of money by owning this car. The gas mileage has remained great with 40+ on the highway and 35 in the city. I have 181,000 miles and am confident it will make it to 200,000 + before there is a problem.

Interior layout. Trunk space.

Armrests are uncomfortable.

Qwerky but Good
By Dodger

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I needed a reliable, inexpensive car for commuting. I am happy to say that I got what I was looking for. It has been reliable and gets GREAT gas mileage. When I bought it, it had 80K miles, had poor acceleration and used about one quart of oil every 1000 miles. Then the SRS light came on. I had to replace the catalytic convertor. I also did a top end cleaning (injectors, intake, valves) before replacing the exhaust. What a difference! It runs like a new car, uses only one quart of oil every 3000 miles, and still gets 35-42 MPG!!! Not bad for a car with 102000 miles, huh!!

GAS MILEAGE, reliability, handling on dry pavement.

Needs a gear indicator light, tighter shift lever, needs a better sound system.

Best car for the money?
By Randy Ruchotzke

1999 Saturn S-Series SL 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my daughter after her Escort was totalled. Both of us are impressed (coming from a 1999 Escort to a 1999 Saturn influences our opinion). The mileage with a 5-speed and SOHC aengine is terrific. On two separate trips to NY from OH we averaged 46 mpg on the freeway. I will admit that my driving habits do tend to support high mileage. Has been perfectly reliable. Does burn a bit of oil, 1 qt every 1500 miles or so, but the engine runs strong. Not the most comfortable seats during long trips. Handles and rides okay, will be better with different tires. Love the dent resistant doors

Mileage, of course. Somewhat fun to drive, not Jetta fun, but far better than the Escort. Factoy stereo is better than most. Just enough power with the manual transmission and AC off.

Power steering would have been a plus. Interior feels and sound a bit cheap